It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at work
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:16 pm 
Area Authority

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:32 pm
Posts: 611
Location: private matter between a member and his or her local Church leader
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california. This is what happened:

Image
Image

No. I did not keep my time commitment. The Elder, along with all other active missionaries, have been defriended and blocked. This is like 1984.

But like Elder Andersen said: "This isn't missionary work. It's missionary FUN." Yeah. 1984 style.

_________________
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:18 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:27 am
Posts: 4074
Location: Planet Earth
beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california.
Egads! That's the future of online missionary work? How awful.

_________________
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 pm
Posts: 3826
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california.
Egads! That's the future of online missionary work? How awful.


wow ... x2

so, I guess they don't need to carry around the quad anymore?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:24 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:23 am
Posts: 7146
Location: On the imaginary axis
Sorry, those images are too small and fuzzy for me to be able to read anything.

_________________
Christopher Ralph: The discovery that the creators of South Park place a higher value on historical authenticity than do the Brethren creates spiritual shock-waves from which some members never recover.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm 
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california.
Egads! That's the future of online missionary work? How awful.


Rockslider wrote:
wow ... x2

so, I guess they don't need to carry around the quad anymore?


I wouldn't think so if it is on their iPad.

They just need to make sure that their iPad is charged. :razz:


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:28 pm 
Area Authority

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:32 pm
Posts: 611
Location: private matter between a member and his or her local Church leader
Chap wrote:
Sorry, those images are too small and fuzzy for me to be able to read anything.


click on these links to see the images:

http://s13.postimg.org/c1s882w13/image.png

http://s10.postimg.org/8tmi1zkh5/mo1.png

_________________
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:22 pm 
Sunbeam
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am
Posts: 67
Location: Salt Lake City
Caveat: I love the missionaries, I remember how hard it is, and I only wish them the best. With that out of the way, that whole conversation sounds like a South Park parody. I even hear the over-enthusiastic "great brother!" ringing in my ears.

_________________
"I know how to fool people, but more importantly I know how people fool themselves." —James Randi
Posts are my opinion only, not a reflection of my employer, my family, my dog, or anyone else
http://signaturebookslibrary.org/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm
Posts: 2381
Pick me pick me, I want an "Elder" Facebook friend. :twisted:

_________________
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm 
High Priest
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:21 am
Posts: 369
beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california. This is what happened:
. . . .
No. I did not keep my time commitment. The Elder, along with all other active missionaries, have been defriended and blocked. This is like 1984.

But like Elder Andersen said: "This isn't missionary work. It's missionary FUN." Yeah. 1984 style.
If you had no intention of talking to him again, and in fact, defriended him, why did you encourage him and say you would help him? Why not just be honest with him and tell him you were not interested in helping him because you disapprove of the Church's method (if that was, in fact, what you thought was inappropriate)?

Elphaba

_________________
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
~~Walt Whitman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 pm 
Elphaba wrote:
beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california. This is what happened:
. . . .
No. I did not keep my time commitment. The Elder, along with all other active missionaries, have been defriended and blocked. This is like 1984.

But like Elder Andersen said: "This isn't missionary work. It's missionary FUN." Yeah. 1984 style.
If you had no intention of talking to him again, and in fact, defriended him, why did you encourage him and say you would help him? Why not just be honest with him and tell him you were not interested in helping him because you disapprove of the Church's method (if that was, in fact, what you thought was inappropriate)?

Elphaba


While serving a missionary this was a fairly common occurrence. People would tell us to come back later when they knew we weren't going to be home. Personally speaking, I have done this to people to avoid the follow-up questions when you say no. It's messed up and cowardly but it gets you out of conversations you don't want to have.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:16 pm 
Bell Ringer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:11 pm
Posts: 7535
Location: Notre-Dame de Paris (bell tower)
Stormy Waters wrote:
While serving a missionary this was a fairly common occurrence. People would tell us to come back later when they knew we weren't going to be home. Personally speaking, I have done this to people to avoid the follow-up questions when you say no. It's messed up and cowardly but it gets you out of conversations you don't want to have.


I can see that it might be easier to say "come back tomorrow" (I have done it myself).

I have found in my old age that it is better to give a firm NO to a salesmen if I am not interested and I'm never interested in unsolicited sales.

They always come back and one eventually ends up giving the NO, anyway. Saying it the first time saves everyone time and trouble.

_________________
"Sanctuary!"
"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:19 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm
Posts: 2381
Quasimodo wrote:
Stormy Waters wrote:
While serving a missionary this was a fairly common occurrence. People would tell us to come back later when they knew we weren't going to be home. Personally speaking, I have done this to people to avoid the follow-up questions when you say no. It's messed up and cowardly but it gets you out of conversations you don't want to have.


I can see that it might be easier to say "come back tomorrow" (I have done it myself).

I have found in my old age that it is better to give a firm NO to a salesmen if I am not interested and I'm never interested in unsolicited sales.

They always come back and one eventually ends up giving the NO, anyway. Saying it the first time saves everyone time and trouble.


I say "no", over and over and over, but what is heard is "I want you to baptize me first thing Sunday morning." Missionaries can't hear "no", is my experience.

_________________
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:27 pm 
Bell Ringer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:11 pm
Posts: 7535
Location: Notre-Dame de Paris (bell tower)
madeleine wrote:

I say "no", over and over and over, but what is heard is "I want you to baptize me first thing Sunday morning." Missionaries can't hear "no", is my experience.


:lol:

Poor little guys. I guess that's what they have been taught. I have only had missionaries at my door once in the twenty years since I've lived here.

I was outside in the front yard when they came. I feel sorry for missionaries, so I was pleasant to them. They asked if I had heard of the Book of Mormon. I told them that I was raised in Utah, but was not a Mormon. We had a nice chat and they went on their way.

I've never seen missionaries since.

_________________
"Sanctuary!"
"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:30 pm 
Area Authority

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:32 pm
Posts: 611
Location: private matter between a member and his or her local Church leader
Elphaba wrote:
beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california. This is what happened:
. . . .
No. I did not keep my time commitment. The Elder, along with all other active missionaries, have been defriended and blocked. This is like 1984.

But like Elder Andersen said: "This isn't missionary work. It's missionary FUN." Yeah. 1984 style.
If you had no intention of talking to him again, and in fact, defriended him, why did you encourage him and say you would help him? Why not just be honest with him and tell him you were not interested in helping him because you disapprove of the Church's method (if that was, in fact, what you thought was inappropriate)?

Elphaba


Because it could have been some mole sent from COB to see how loyal I am or something. Idk. Weird s*** happens in my life.

_________________
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:29 pm 
High Priest
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:21 am
Posts: 369
beanboots wrote:
Because it could have been some mole sent from COB to see how loyal I am or something. Idk. Weird s*** happens in my life.
Wow.

I can understand if you just felt put on the spot and didn't want to make the missionary feel bad. Our culture does not do a good job of teaching us how to assertively say "no" when it's perfectly appropriate to do so, and therefore, many do what you did. As Stormy said, missionaries experience this often, so you're certainly not the first person to promise something you had no intention of delivering.

But not doing so does no favors to either you or the missionary. Telling him your reasons for not wanting to help him might have opened his eyes a bit to the inappropriate tactics he's being forced to use (though I acknowledge probably not much, if at all). Additionally, if, in fact, the COB was checking up on you, they know for sure now where your loyalty lies, given you defriended and blocked the guy.

Elphaba

_________________
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
~~Walt Whitman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm
Posts: 2381
Quasimodo wrote:
madeleine wrote:

I say "no", over and over and over, but what is heard is "I want you to baptize me first thing Sunday morning." Missionaries can't hear "no", is my experience.


:lol:

Poor little guys. I guess that's what they have been taught. I have only had missionaries at my door once in the twenty years since I've lived here.

I was outside in the front yard when they came. I feel sorry for missionaries, so I was pleasant to them. They asked if I had heard of the Book of Mormon. I told them that I was raised in Utah, but was not a Mormon. We had a nice chat and they went on their way.

I've never seen missionaries since.


Goes in waves for us. Leave us alone for a few years, and then come around a few times over the course of a few months, then leave us alone. Mormons are still bugging my adult daughter who has never been baptized. They treat her like she is "inactive".

I wrote a nephew on his mission once, because he included me in his spam email. I wrote back, told him what I thought about Smith. He never wrote again and the Mormon family stopped inviting me to missionary farewells. Lol.

Seems Mormons dish it out but can't take it. A "Elder" Facebook "friend" could be fun.

_________________
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:44 am 
the very elect
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:07 pm
Posts: 5537
f*****s

_________________
New name: Boaz


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aussieguy55, Deadly Vampire Miho, DrW, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group