It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at work
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:16 pm 
Area Authority

Location: private matter between a member and his or her local Church leader
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california. This is what happened:

No. I did not keep my time commitment. The Elder, along with all other active missionaries, have been defriended and blocked. This is like 1984.

But like Elder Andersen said: "This isn't missionary work. It's missionary FUN." Yeah. 1984 style.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball

Post subject: Re: it's come to this. Getting harassed/feeling trapped at w
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:18 pm 
God

beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california.
Egads! That's the future of online missionary work? How awful.

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm 
God

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california.

wow ... x2

so, I guess they don't need to carry around the quad anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:24 pm 
God

Sorry, those images are too small and fuzzy for me to be able to read anything.

Christopher Ralph: The discovery that the creators of South Park place a higher value on historical authenticity than do the Brethren creates spiritual shock-waves from which some members never recover.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm 
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
beanboots wrote:

Rockslider wrote:
wow ... x2

so, I guess they don't need to carry around the quad anymore?

I wouldn't think so if it is on their iPad.

They just need to make sure that their iPad is charged. :razz:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:28 pm 
Area Authority

Chap wrote:
Sorry, those images are too small and fuzzy for me to be able to read anything.

click on these links to see the images:

http://s13.postimg.org/c1s882w13/image.png

http://s10.postimg.org/8tmi1zkh5/mo1.png

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:22 pm 
Sunbeam

Caveat: I love the missionaries, I remember how hard it is, and I only wish them the best. With that out of the way, that whole conversation sounds like a South Park parody. I even hear the over-enthusiastic "great brother!" ringing in my ears.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
God

Pick me pick me, I want an "Elder" Facebook friend. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm 
High Priest

beanboots wrote:
I got a random friend request from a missionary serving out in california. I live nowhere near california. This is what happened:
. . . .
No. I did not keep my time commitment. The Elder, along with all other active missionaries, have been defriended and blocked. This is like 1984.

But like Elder Andersen said: "This isn't missionary work. It's missionary FUN." Yeah. 1984 style.
If you had no intention of talking to him again, and in fact, defriended him, why did you encourage him and say you would help him? Why not just be honest with him and tell him you were not interested in helping him because you disapprove of the Church's method (if that was, in fact, what you thought was inappropriate)?

Elphaba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 pm 
Elphaba wrote:
beanboots wrote:
. . . .

If you had no intention of talking to him again, and in fact, defriended him, why did you encourage him and say you would help him? Why not just be honest with him and tell him you were not interested in helping him because you disapprove of the Church's method (if that was, in fact, what you thought was inappropriate)?

Elphaba

While serving a missionary this was a fairly common occurrence. People would tell us to come back later when they knew we weren't going to be home. Personally speaking, I have done this to people to avoid the follow-up questions when you say no. It's messed up and cowardly but it gets you out of conversations you don't want to have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:16 pm 
Bell Ringer

Stormy Waters wrote:
While serving a missionary this was a fairly common occurrence. People would tell us to come back later when they knew we weren't going to be home. Personally speaking, I have done this to people to avoid the follow-up questions when you say no. It's messed up and cowardly but it gets you out of conversations you don't want to have.

I can see that it might be easier to say "come back tomorrow" (I have done it myself).

I have found in my old age that it is better to give a firm NO to a salesmen if I am not interested and I'm never interested in unsolicited sales.

They always come back and one eventually ends up giving the NO, anyway. Saying it the first time saves everyone time and trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:19 pm 
God

Quasimodo wrote:
Stormy Waters wrote:

I can see that it might be easier to say "come back tomorrow" (I have done it myself).

I have found in my old age that it is better to give a firm NO to a salesmen if I am not interested and I'm never interested in unsolicited sales.

They always come back and one eventually ends up giving the NO, anyway. Saying it the first time saves everyone time and trouble.

I say "no", over and over and over, but what is heard is "I want you to baptize me first thing Sunday morning." Missionaries can't hear "no", is my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:27 pm 
Bell Ringer

madeleine wrote:

I say "no", over and over and over, but what is heard is "I want you to baptize me first thing Sunday morning." Missionaries can't hear "no", is my experience.

:lol:

Poor little guys. I guess that's what they have been taught. I have only had missionaries at my door once in the twenty years since I've lived here.

I was outside in the front yard when they came. I feel sorry for missionaries, so I was pleasant to them. They asked if I had heard of the Book of Mormon. I told them that I was raised in Utah, but was not a Mormon. We had a nice chat and they went on their way.

I've never seen missionaries since.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:30 pm 
Area Authority

Elphaba wrote:
beanboots wrote:
. . . .

Elphaba

Because it could have been some mole sent from COB to see how loyal I am or something. Idk. Weird s*** happens in my life.

-J. Golden Kimball

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:29 pm 
High Priest

beanboots wrote:
Because it could have been some mole sent from COB to see how loyal I am or something. Idk. Weird s*** happens in my life.
Wow.

I can understand if you just felt put on the spot and didn't want to make the missionary feel bad. Our culture does not do a good job of teaching us how to assertively say "no" when it's perfectly appropriate to do so, and therefore, many do what you did. As Stormy said, missionaries experience this often, so you're certainly not the first person to promise something you had no intention of delivering.

But not doing so does no favors to either you or the missionary. Telling him your reasons for not wanting to help him might have opened his eyes a bit to the inappropriate tactics he's being forced to use (though I acknowledge probably not much, if at all). Additionally, if, in fact, the COB was checking up on you, they know for sure now where your loyalty lies, given you defriended and blocked the guy.

Elphaba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm 
God

Quasimodo wrote:
madeleine wrote:

:lol:

Poor little guys. I guess that's what they have been taught. I have only had missionaries at my door once in the twenty years since I've lived here.

I was outside in the front yard when they came. I feel sorry for missionaries, so I was pleasant to them. They asked if I had heard of the Book of Mormon. I told them that I was raised in Utah, but was not a Mormon. We had a nice chat and they went on their way.

I've never seen missionaries since.

Goes in waves for us. Leave us alone for a few years, and then come around a few times over the course of a few months, then leave us alone. Mormons are still bugging my adult daughter who has never been baptized. They treat her like she is "inactive".

I wrote a nephew on his mission once, because he included me in his spam email. I wrote back, told him what I thought about Smith. He never wrote again and the Mormon family stopped inviting me to missionary farewells. Lol.

Seems Mormons dish it out but can't take it. A "Elder" Facebook "friend" could be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:44 am 
the very elect

f*****s