It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Midgley: "I want to strive to endure my probation."
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:23 am 
God

Maksutov wrote:
He's frightened. They all are. Their world is passing away and the house of cards they carefully constructed is flying apart.
You're spot-on. Their day has passed.

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am 
God

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
The guy has a 'real chip on his shoulder.'

That's the common denominator among the OMIDs: anger or hurt based on some perceived slight. I don't know where Midgley's comes from, but didn't one of them (DCP maybe) say something about being embarrassed by an "anti-Mormon" on his mission and vowing never to let that happen again?

The behavior of the mopologists makes much more sense to me when I think of it as coming from bruised egos and hurt feelings. How else can you explain the see-sawing of apologists between attacking and mocking critics and then taking mystified offense when critics call them on it?

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:40 am 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
The guy has a 'real chip on his shoulder.'

That's the common denominator among the OMIDs: anger or hurt based on some perceived slight. I don't know where Midgley's comes from, but didn't one of them (DCP maybe) say something about being embarrassed by an "anti-Mormon" on his mission and vowing never to let that happen again?

Both of them have described one or more incidents involvling embarrassment at the hand of critics while on their missions. It's a common enough denominator among the Mopologists that it seems reasonable to attribute at least some of their hostility to this mission-related, long-simmering resentment.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:13 am 
Seedy Academician

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
These essays are vintage Midgley. I first met him around 30 years ago, and he was just as crazy back then, ranting and raving about LDS scholars (specifically, Quinn) trying to secularize the Church with what he called "New Mormon History." He's been on a crusade ever since. I think he feels that lately his influence has been severely on the wane (along with the other classic-FARMSboys pushed aside by the MI purge), and this is his last gasp at relevancy. Unfortunately for him, he's a laughingstock to most but the most diehard (i.e., DCP and his ilk). It's sad, really. Lou is not a bad guy, he's never learned how to be even remotely Christ-like in dealing with those with whom he disagrees.

Although I do not agree with some of the things Lou Midgley has done, I am quite sympathetic to him in other respects. He is a very thoughtful and intelligent man, who has interesting ideas about his faith. In a way, I have a hard time faulting him for his concern regarding secularization and other trends (Protestantization) in Mormonism. At the same time, the faithful perspective is often so poorly represented in the value of its written and spoken content that one is left starving at the banquet table. Here's the thing: if you want people to be spiritual, you need to feed them with hearty spiritual fare of deep substance. Mormon discourse is often so vacuous and shallow in the discussion of spiritual things that it is no wonder the faith of many falters.

So, I don't think one can blame secular critics or quasi-Protestant religion faculty at BYU, although I think Midgley does have a point about these things. The real problem is the lack of vivifying sustenance in Mormon discourse itself. One has the scriptures, but GC is by and large a complete snooze. People like this Eyre fellow strike me as Prosperity-Gospel Osteen types in Mormon garb. The apparent values of the corporatized, correlated Mormon Church look like the very antithesis of Christ's teachings. Mopologetics that consist of electronic jeremiads and attacks on liberal Mormons will not do the trick.

Mormons are crying out for a four-course meal of spiritual teachings and Christian community. What they tend to get instead is Hallmark-card pablum and hometeaching statistics.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 am 
God

Tom wrote:
Quote:
The idea that a “scholar” must necessarily end up with “angels don’t bring books” or “dead bodies do not come back to life” will end up reading both the Book of Mormon and the Bible quite differently than those who really want both to simply be true.

I must confess that I don't understand this sentence of Professor Midgley's.

You beat me to it. That sentence is a garbled mess and I suspect two different sentences got fused in a draft.

There are two sentences/ideas here.

One sentence is about what Midgley thinks is the secular definition of "scholarship" and would be something like this:

"The idea that a "scholar" must necessarily believe that "angels don't bring books" or "dead bodies do not come back to life" in order to be thought of as a scholar puts a limitation on his reading."

Another sentence is a contrast between how a secular scholar and a believing scholar would read:

"He will read the Book of Mormon and the Bible much differently than a believer would."

However, these two potential sentences have been fused so that "idea" has become the referent of the action "will end up reading" and not "scholar."

To illustrate by using a parenthetical: The idea (that a “scholar” must necessarily end up with “angels don’t bring books” or “dead bodies do not come back to life”) will end up reading both the Book of Mormon and the Bible quite differently than those who really want both to simply be true.

But the problems of this sentence isn't even limited to syntax. That last bit is also oddly problematic. The "others" who read differently apparently do so not on the basis of their firm belief or even testimony, but simply because they want such stories to be true.

All in all this a sentence even more baffling that those I regularly run across in Freshman Comp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 am 
God

Blixa wrote:
All in all this a sentence even more baffling that those I regularly run across in Freshman Comp.

Freshman comp students aren't usually angry when they write papers. Every time I read Midgley's stuff, I sense the level of rage rising as he types, and when you're writing out of anger, you're not paying much attention to clarity or sentence structure.

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:46 am 
God

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Blixa wrote:

Freshman comp students aren't usually angry when they write papers. Every time I read Midgley's stuff, I sense the level of rage rising as he types, and when you're writing out of anger, you're not paying much attention to clarity or sentence structure.

I hope he gets his blood pressure checked regularly, at his age, especially.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:48 pm 
Seedy Academician

gramps wrote:
I hope he gets his blood pressure checked regularly, at his age, especially.

Professor Midgley is known for his impassioned responses to those things or people he finds offensive.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:57 pm 
Bishop

Blixa wrote:
There are two sentences/ideas here.

One sentence is about what Midgley thinks is the secular definition of "scholarship" and would be something like this:

"The idea that a "scholar" must necessarily believe that "angels don't bring books" or "dead bodies do not come back to life" in order to be thought of as a scholar puts a limitation on his reading."

Another sentence is a contrast between how a secular scholar and a believing scholar would read:

"He will read the Book of Mormon and the Bible much differently than a believer would."

However, these two potential sentences have been fused so that "idea" has become the referent of the action "will end up reading" and not "scholar."

To illustrate by using a parenthetical: The idea (that a “scholar” must necessarily end up with “angels don’t bring books” or “dead bodies do not come back to life”) will end up reading both the Book of Mormon and the Bible quite differently than those who really want both to simply be true.

But the problems of this sentence isn't even limited to syntax. That last bit is also oddly problematic. The "others" who read differently apparently do so not on the basis of their firm belief or even testimony, but simply because they want such stories to be true.

I appreciate the parsing. I suppose the reference to the belief that "angels don't bring books" is an allusion to Sterling McMurrin's famous line.

"[Gustav] Seyffarth's life is perhaps the most tragic example in all Egyptology of a brilliant mind--perhaps genius--led astray by fantastic notions." John Gee, Mar. 8, 2013 (4:39-4:47).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 pm 
World's Top Zion Scientist

Blixa wrote:

Far be it from me Ms Blixa to....um ya know. :lol:

My YouTube videos:HERE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:04 pm 
God

Tom wrote:
I appreciate the parsing. I suppose the reference to the belief that "angels don't bring books" is an allusion to Sterling McMurrin's famous line.

Oh right! I totally forgot about that. Geez, talk about carrying on about the silliest things!

But, as others have said, every time I read something by le Midge I feel like I'm watching someone on the verge of an apoplectic stroke.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 pm 
God

Nightlion wrote:
Blixa wrote:

Far be it from me Ms Blixa to....um ya know. :lol:

Sorry for that. I'm just in Fall semester mode, I guess : )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:59 pm 
Seedy Academician

Blixa wrote:

Does this mean I lose my job as MDB copyeditor?

Oh, well. Surely the Interpreter will employ me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:42 pm 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
Blixa wrote:

Does this mean I lose my job as MDB copyeditor?

Oh, well. Surely the Interpreter will employ me.

A few weeks from now I'll be so inured to syntactic awkwardness I won't even blink an eye...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 pm 
tired, less active investigator

Blixa wrote:
I'm just in Fall semester mode, I guess : )

Did I pass?