Apostle Bednar buys vacation home near Heber ...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rollo Tomasi
God

Apostle Bednar buys vacation home near Heber ...

Post by Rollo Tomasi »

I saw this over on RfM and found it interesting. Below is a link to a public record about the Bednars' purchase of a vacation home in the nice Crossings at Lake Creek community being built near Heber. The $169K current value probably means just the land, and will be much higher once the home is constructed. I find it interesting that the address given is for Church headquarters (does the Church take care of property taxes, etc.?).

I don't know why this bothers me, but it just seems odd for an apostle to purchase a vacation home in a resort area, particularly one who can't be rich (he was a college professor in Arkansas and president of Ricks/BYU-I before his call as an apostle at a young age). Oh, well ....

http://www.co.wasatch.Utah.us/on-line_ser ... 19996.aspx
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)

beanboots
Area Authority

Re: Apostle Bednar buys vacation home near Heber ...

Post by beanboots »

I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball

Bazooka
God

Post by Bazooka »

The widows mite is being put to good use...
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

Bazooka
God

Post by Bazooka »

Here's a question:

How does an Apostle of God justify owning two homes when some people in the world have none?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

ZelphtheGreat
God

Post by ZelphtheGreat »

Clearly a big mistake. Jesus would have bought his vacation home near Kanab.
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12

madeleine
God

Post by madeleine »

Vacationing in Heber is becoming more and more like vacationing in Sandy. :biggrin:
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI

beanboots
Area Authority

Post by beanboots »

Bazooka wrote:Here's a question:

How does an Apostle of God justify owning two homes when some people in the world have none?

BOOM!

Take that Q12. What lives you royalty must lead.
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball

Brackite
God

Post by Brackite »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:I saw this over on RfM and found it interesting. Below is a link to a public record about the Bednars' purchase of a vacation home in the nice Crossings at Lake Creek community being built near Heber. The $169K current value probably means just the land, and will be much higher once the home is constructed. I find it interesting that the address given is for Church headquarters (does the Church take care of property taxes, etc.?).

I don't know why this bothers me, but it just seems odd for an apostle to purchase a vacation home in a resort area, particularly one who can't be rich (he was a college professor in Arkansas and president of Ricks/BYU-I before his call as an apostle at a young age). Oh, well ....

http://www.co.wasatch.Utah.us/on-line_ser ... 19996.aspx

Your tithing dollars at work!!!
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Sounds like the assessor was a kind hearted mood when he made Elder Benar's Property valuation. Wish that guy would come take a look at my place. There should be some consideration for those of us who put in good works at this board and at MD&D.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

wayfarer
2nd Quorum of Seventy

Post by wayfarer »

Bednar's newly purchased house in heber is not just land, but a full house in Heber, 2500 square feet, finished in 2012 in brand new subdivision, not yet on Google maps. $169K is not palatial, but certainly 2500 feet is a comfortable house for a 61 year old guy (empty nest).

Uchtdorf's house in heber is 3767 square feet, market value $637K, on a golf course. Uchtdorf also has an equivalently valued house in Salt Lake City next to a golf course.

I would really love to play golf with Uchtdorf -- he's probably quite good at it.

On the other hand, what is this about Heber? Is this the business continuity site for the LDS leadership?

SteelHead
God

Post by SteelHead »

No way that will be the final constructed house price for 2500 sq ft in Heber unless some preferential treatment is being given. Try to find anything for that price in the area. Check the comparables.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

zeezrom
God

Post by zeezrom »

madeleine wrote:Vacationing in Heber is becoming more and more like vacationing in Sandy. :biggrin:

The billionaires kicked the millionaires out of Park City. That is why so many millionaires are in Heber.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.

Tchild
God

Post by Tchild »

wayfarer wrote:Bednar's newly purchased house in heber is not just land, but a full house in Heber, 2500 square feet, finished in 2012 in brand new subdivision, not yet on Google maps. $169K is not palatial, but certainly 2500 feet is a comfortable house for a 61 year old guy (empty nest).

Uchtdorf's house in heber is 3767 square feet, market value $637K, on a golf course. Uchtdorf also has an equivalently valued house in Salt Lake City next to a golf course.

I would really love to play golf with Uchtdorf -- he's probably quite good at it.

On the other hand, what is this about Heber? Is this the business continuity site for the LDS leadership?

If the house sold for $169,000 in Heber in a new development, it is probably a townhome made of cardboard. That price seems too low by about 100K.

Heber real estate is the poor man's Park City. However, for Mormons, Park City doesn't have that folksy rural Mormon vibe like Heber City does.

Anyone that becomes a drone of a human being deserves a little place out of the city to find their soul again.

zeezrom
God

Post by zeezrom »

I agree 169k is very low. It must be a fixer upper. Maybe he will tear down and rebuild?
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.

Bazooka
God

Post by Bazooka »

To help maintain this missionary force, and because many of our missionaries come from modest circumstances, we invite you, as you are able, to contribute generously to the General Missionary Fund of the Church. President Monson 'Welcome to Conference' April 2013

Explain that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have asked Church members to give one-tenth of the money they earn to the Church for tithing. Since everything we have comes in one way or another from Heavenly Father, paying tithing is really just giving one-tenth back to him. Tithing belongs to Heavenly Father, and we should not keep it from him. Primary 3 Manual
(I assume that means the Heber holiday home is actually God's and Bednar is just house sitting....

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

madeleine wrote:Vacationing in Heber is becoming more and more like vacationing in Sandy. :biggrin:

So true.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

lostindc
God

Post by lostindc »

lol @ an apostle of God living in a 800 grand house on a golf course in a relatively low cost of living area in relation to many major U.S. cities.

Apostles have come a long way in the past 2,000 years.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong

Bazooka
God

Post by Bazooka »

I'm wondering, how many weeks holiday does an Apostle get as part of his employment contract?

Dantana
2nd Quorum of Seventy

Post by Dantana »

Stipend Schmipend. Clearly an example of Reformed Mormon (English).... Where one thing actually means another. Stipend being the *spun* synonym of salary... Which of course no one actually gets.

I'd call in Dr. Goodword now for the word history....but he's still wrapped up trying to figure out Adam-ondi-Ahman

Bazooka
God

Post by Bazooka »

tana wrote:Stipend Schmipend. Clearly an example of Reformed Mormon (English).... Where one thing actually means another. Stipend being the *spun* synonym of salary... Which of course no one actually gets.

I'd call in Dr. Goodword now for the word history....but he's still wrapped up trying to figure out Adam-ondi-Ahman

That's actually the passcode for the Apostles ATM cards.

Dantana
2nd Quorum of Seventy

Post by Dantana »

Bazooka wrote:
tana wrote:Stipend Schmipend. Clearly an example of Reformed Mormon (English).... Where one thing actually means another. Stipend being the *spun* synonym of salary... Which of course no one actually gets.

That's actually the passcode for the Apostles ATM cards.

Apostles and plastic....hard to picture. Next thing you'll be telling me is they eat their fishes and loaves at Skippers.