It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mormon's Great and Spacious Building - The Hinckley Center
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:49 pm 
God

Somehow, I really don't know how, BYU always tracks me down, no matter how many times I move. At least they don't call to get money from me anymore. But I still get their BYU magazine. I got one today, and something about the cover struck me. It's a photo of the new Hinckley Center and the caption is:

WELCOME HOME TO THE HINCKLEY CENTER: SEE THE BUILDING FIT TO CARRY THE NAME

There was just something about the whole thing that immediately reminded me of the great and spacious building in the Book of Mormon. The mormon church has not only kowtowed to "the man", it IS "the man". And they can't stop building great and spacious buildings, and then naming them after their leaders.

Here it is, under construction

The church just seems to spend money hand over foot on these buildings, and the disturbing part is that the expenditure is NOTHING to them. There's plenty, plenty more where that came from, thanks to people like my parents, who are retired and STILL paying on their mortgage.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:58 pm 
So it upsets you that the church builds things and people tithe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:03 pm 
God

No, it upsets me that people who can't afford to tithe are pressured into doing so, and then the church builds extravagant buildings, and names them after people. "A building worthy of the name". Please. I thought prophets were supposed to be humble.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:21 pm 
Seething Cauldron of Hate

Not that this ought to count, or anything, but I've actually been in the Hinckley Building (even while it was under construction), and I know the functions that it's going to serve.

It's a nice building, but it's not extravagant and it was very much needed. It will be well used. I'm sorry that its construction has so offended a person who presumably contributed nothing to it. Life is like that, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:03 pm 
God

Hinckley is a golden calf.

Daniel Peterson wrote:
It's a nice building, but it's not extravagant and it was very much needed. It will be well used. .

OMG

Like the home teachers asking the middle income homes if there is anything they can do for them.

I hope you find your time as bishop as miserable and spend more time there than with your kids. You deserve that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:48 pm 
Master Mahan

I actually do think that Pres. Hinckley deserves a building. However, I believe that the building should honor his true accomplishments: namely, his contributions to Church P.R. So, if this is going to be a movie studio, or a marketing office, or something like that, then I am totally on board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:17 pm 
Hermit

hilarious. guess what was waiting for me on my workbench today when I got home? It's the vision of Zion come true, the worker drones buzzing around in a flurry as if they were trying to complete the Death Star. "Those workers understood the value of honoring President Hinckley" All is in honor of Lord Hinckley, "No one...wanted to be the one who had to say, 'I didn't get my doors hung, so we couldn't have the dedication on the prophet's birthday." Of course not! That guy would be the Admiral Mottie of LDS contractors, and the only thing Hinckley would be left to say, before ending that man's career, would be, "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Faith ensures the workers take risks, "We didn't have angels hauling materials in...but we had guys hauling it in who should have been beyond their physical limits." Work the men like the Pharaoh worked the Hebrew slaves, without regard for their own health or families who would suffer in the event of a serious accident caused by exhaustion.

And check this, "...a forgotten drill bit lay in the grass..everything appeared to be in perfect order, as if it had been so for weeks and had been tested a dozen times"

Fortunately no one stepped on that drill bit. And shall we note how everything also appeared to be in perfect order on the completion of the featured building of the movie, "The Towering Inferno". The reason QA tests things dozens of time is to ensure they really do work, not just "appear" to work for the sake of the brass.

Now this is really telling, "guests began to arrive...one construction worker brought a suit and got a haircut....none wore hard hats."

You'd think manual labor and a hard days work were a crime, and a matter of disrespect, and the trace of it an insult to the liesure class.

Hinckley commented, "What more could one ask for? 'nothing'"

Of course not, could the pharaoh ask for much more than the great pyramid, built in his honor? And the finalization of the sanctuary dedicated nepotically, by his own son?

It's almost as if BYU is trying to give credence to the Christian accusation that Mormons don't worship Jesus, heck, Joseph Smith will even need to take a back seat to this grand-stander, "Construction began on a Friday with a tool marked GBH. It ended on a Saturday with another tool bearing President Hinckley's brand."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:33 pm 
God

Maybe it's just that I hadn't been in Provo for 5 or 6 years, but wow, that's an imposing entrance to campus. The previous alumni building was a tiny, almost invisible building. Tiny and invisible this one is not. But I don't mind big and imposing.

My only issue with it is that its architecture does not match any of the other buildings on campus, so it sticks out like a sore thumb. And of course, it makes me chuckle that our alumni building is named for someone who never attended the university.

Oh, well. I agree that the article cited is more than a bit over the top. But it looks like a nice enough building.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:36 pm 
God

Runtu wrote:
And of course, it makes me chuckle that our alumni building is named for someone who never attended the university.
True dat, but to many Mormons, he speaks with the great ELOHIM and that is why they wanked in the dollars for the Hinckley'nacle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:38 pm 
God

Polygamy Porter wrote:
Runtu wrote:
And of course, it makes me chuckle that our alumni building is named for someone who never attended the university.
True dat, but to many Mormons, he speaks with the great ELOHIM and that is why they wanked in the dollars for the Hinckley'nacle.

I thought he said he just heard the still small voice, like the rest of us. Did I miss something when he said he speaks with God?

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:05 am 
God

Daniel Peterson wrote:
Not that this ought to count, or anything, but I've actually been in the Hinckley Building (even while it was under construction), and I know the functions that it's going to serve.

It's a nice building, but it's not extravagant and it was very much needed. It will be well used. I'm sorry that its construction has so offended a person who presumably contributed nothing to it. Life is like that, though.

What was the funding source for this building? And why would BYU alumni need such a large facility?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:14 am 
God

Anyone else notice that no matter what the Church does with it's money it is labeled as being a waste of people's funds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:37 am 
God

harmony wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:

What was the funding source for this building?
Supposedly th mindless moronic alumnus

And why would BYU alumni need such a large facility?[/quote]Cuz the majority never leave happy friggin valley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:38 am 
God

The Nehor wrote:
Anyone else notice that no matter what the Church does with it's money it is labeled as being a waste of people's funds?
Neh, go find yourself a lady.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:40 am 
God

Polygamy Porter wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Neh, go find yourself a lady.

You have one in mind, I'm looking. Not sure how this relates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:06 am 
God

Besides this building, I think they should name the new Salt Lake City Mall after President Hinckley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:13 am 
God

moksha wrote:
Besides this building, I think they should name the new Salt Lake City Mall after President Hinckley.

I think we should name it Zion's mall. What's one more oxymoron?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:19 am 
God

The Nehor wrote:
moksha wrote:

I think we should name it Zion's mall. What's one more oxymoron?

Could they erect a Zion Curtain around the Victoria's Secret lingerie shop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:21 am 
God

The Nehor wrote:

Yes. And the funny thing is, that's literally true.

Hebraic structures in the Book of Mormon are like heart disease risk factors. If the major symptoms of a heart attack aren’t there, you don’t conclude a heart attack is happening just because a patient has a few risk factors. - California Kid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:30 am 
God

Tithing: Mandatory (to qualify for a valid temple recommend) Primarily to build/maintain chapels, temples and schools

My kids will never qualify for a church sponsered university. I have yet to understand why I should feel comfortable seeing tithes go to benefit an inordinate amount of rich mormon parent's children.

As a TBM, I never shorted this program. Although I've never felt well about what they've done with the money donated by the poor.

I have trouble agreeing with tithing spent on "the kingdom of God" - represented by buildings where most of the attendants are neither lacking in food or shelter.

Fast Offering:A Request Is not a requirement for a temple recommend. These are funds dispersed by the church to benefit those less fortunate

This is where my entire "charitable contribution" now goes toward. Specifically to the "Humanitarian Fund" - to keep it as far from lazy ward members as I possibly can.

Hinkley is not even dead yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:12 am 
God

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry with th critics complaints. But this one made me laugh. I suppose that the church should only build small log buildings that fit 12 people. I suppose that this may be humble enough but not very practical. As the lds church grows, buildings will need to accomodate the need. It is as simple as that.

Really, critics, you need to get a life and stop moaning about buildings and malls. And if the critic is out of the church, why should that critic care how money is spent?