It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Local Young Adult Ward DECIMATED
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:24 pm 
Deacon

I live in the Portland area. Years ago, when I considered (briefly) returning to the Church, out of guilt, I attended a Young Adult Ward in Lake Oswego. This Ward was packed every Sunday, with about 300 people ages 18 to 31ish. I was driving past a few Sundays ago, and decided to drop by, just for nostalgic reasons. WOW! About 40 people were there, all sitting in the back rows. Ridiculous. What happened? I couldn't believe it.

Post subject: Re: Local Young Adult Ward DECIMATED
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:55 pm 
God

Did you talk to anybody, or get a sense for what happened?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:58 pm 
The Outcast

DannyBoy wrote:
I live in the Portland area. Years ago, when I considered (briefly) returning to the Church, out of guilt, I attended a Young Adult Ward in Lake Oswego. This Ward was packed every Sunday, with about 300 people ages 18 to 31ish. I was driving past a few Sundays ago, and decided to drop by, just for nostalgic reasons. WOW! About 40 people were there, all sitting in the back rows. Ridiculous. What happened? I couldn't believe it.

Maybe the other 260 coupled up, and there are now 130 more households in the area in their regular wards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:14 pm 
God

DannyBoy wrote:

They are in north Portland at the Dancin' Bare

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:47 pm 
Deacon

Nope. Just looked in, got scared, and walked out. You know the very back row, the one next to the gray room divider? It was full, and the last two rows in the back were full, and all the rest of the rows were EMPTY. I could almost hear the Twilight Zone theme playing. I walked out...dazed and confused. I think the Internet is having a bigger impact that we imagine.

Jesse Pinkman wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:31 am 
God

DannyBoy wrote:
Nope. Just looked in, got scared, and walked out. You know the very back row, the one next to the gray room divider? It was full, and the last two rows in the back were full, and all the rest of the rows were EMPTY. I could almost hear the Twilight Zone theme playing. I walked out...dazed and confused. I think the Internet is having a bigger impact that we imagine.

Jesse Pinkman wrote:

All Hail to GOOGLE GOD, destroyer of Mormon ____ and Craziness.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:46 am 
Son of Perdition

The Mighty Builder wrote:

All Hail to GOOGLE GOD, destroyer of Mormon ____ and Craziness.

Amen and amen! I pray that the youth of the church will depart from the cult and lead normal and happy lives without the influence of the evil holy ghost and Mormon overlords who seek to destroy the individual independence of the human soul. Yeah!

Let the youth enjoy the pleasures of living and guiding their own lives according to what makes them happy.

I bear my solemn testimony that Fat Tommy Monson is a liar, a no good for nothing 2-bit lying prophet.

Paul O

Here Comes The Book of Abraham Part I

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:02 pm 
Son of Perdition

"Screw the church, I'm having a blast at the party and my boyfriend makes me feel like real woman! I've never had so much fun, yeah babe!"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 pm 
Son of Perdition

"Church is a drag. The bishop asked me if I masturbate! Yeah, right. Screw the church, we just want to live our lives."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:30 pm 
God

Pretty sure they are all on missions in Seattle trying to convert people to Portland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:51 pm 
God

DannyBoy wrote:

They don't exist anymore. They moved on to other wards.

http://oregonysa.com/

I could not find them on this site.

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 pm 
Deacon

It's the West Lake Ward, which meets at 1:30pm on Sundays, at the building on the corner of Kruse Way and West Lake in Lake Oswega. Last Sunday, maybe 40 were there. In 1993, at least 300 attended reguardly, because I was attending regularly, thinking of returning. I no longer think of returning, unless, of course, a SUPER HOT young LDS woman wants to marry me and demands I attend on Sunday or not get sex. I doubt highly that will happen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:16 am 
God

My home ward in California has gone from over 200 attendance in Sacrament meeting ten years ago down to less than 50. At one time they had plans to build a new ward house because they were out of room. Those plans have been put on hold, and now there is not enough members to fill a third of the chapel.

From my vantage point, it looks like the wheels are starting to come off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:19 am 
The Outcast

DannyBoy wrote:
It's the West Lake Ward, which meets at 1:30pm on Sundays, at the building on the corner of Kruse Way and West Lake in Lake Oswega. Last Sunday, maybe 40 were there. In 1993, at least 300 attended reguardly, because I was attending regularly, thinking of returning. I no longer think of returning, unless, of course, a SUPER HOT young LDS woman wants to marry me and demands I attend on Sunday or not get sex. I doubt highly that will happen.

'Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith', and maybe you'll get lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:53 am 
God

When out of youth, young men and women do one of two things:
a. Go on a mission or b. Go inactive

When on a mission, young men and women do one of two things:
a. Complete their mission or c. Finish early and go inactive

After their mission, young men and women do one of two things:
a. Get married and have children or b. Go inactive

Church policy is akin to playing the odds. The more young men and young women they can get on a mission, the more will end up getting married to a Mormon and having Mormon children. This is the only chance Mormonism has of achieving any stability in it's active membership numbers. Forget the hastening and the rescue and every member a missionary or whatever buzz phrase is being used to label the programme to try and keep the members busy and feeling like they are serving God. It's all about getting the youth married and producing as quickly as possible within the confines of the religion. After that it's about keeping them busy and distracted from thinking about things too much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:26 am 
The Outcast

Shulem wrote:
"Church is a drag. The bishop asked me if I masturbate! Yeah, right. Screw the church, we just want to live our lives."

The one on the left is Satan. See his red eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 pm 
Apostle

Bazooka wrote:
When out of youth, young men and women do one of two things:
a. Go on a mission or b. Go inactive

When on a mission, young men and women do one of two things:
a. Complete their mission or c. Finish early and go inactive

After their mission, young men and women do one of two things:
a. Get married and have children or b. Go inactive

Church policy is akin to playing the odds. The more young men and young women they can get on a mission, the more will end up getting married to a Mormon and having Mormon children.

Interestingly, Elder Perry told a meeting of bishops and stake presidencies in 2011 (Phoenix area) that the average number of children per couple *where either parent served a mission* is 3.7. Where neither parent served a mission, it's 1.5 ---- well below the national average. So, there does appear to be a direct link between the type of people who serve missions and birthrate when married. "Mormon" birthrates in general mirror the national average, but "active" Mormon birthrates are much higher. And "inactive" Mormon birthrates appear to be far below the U.S. national average.