It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spencer Kimball Quote Getting Real Old
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:07 am 
God

Last conference, Elder Hallstrom (sp?) gave an improved and correlated version of Elder Poelman's 1984 address, and in the process quoted President Kimball as responding when asked what he does in a boring sacrament meeting, "I don't know. I've never been in one."

That one makes me roll my eyes every time.

Last Sunday the stake high councilguy came to our sacrament meeting and quoted Elder Hallstrom (sp?) quoting President Kimball.

As soon as the Kimball's punchline was out of his mouth, I leaned over to my wife and said, "I hate it when prophets lie."

According to her, I was not using my indoor voice and the entire row in front of us heard.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Post subject: Re: Spencer Kimball Quote Getting Real Old
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:19 am 
God

I liked your "punchline" better Consig. If I had said that, I probably would have been punched in the arm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:25 pm 
God

Location: Somewhere on the ocean with know-it-all control freak Nephi
consiglieri wrote:
Last conference, Elder Hallstrom (sp?) gave an improved and correlated version of Elder Poelman's 1984 address, and in the process quoted President Kimball as responding when asked what he does in a boring sacrament meeting, "I don't know. I've never been in one."

Last Sunday the stake high councilguy came to our sacrament meeting and quoted Elder Hallstrom (sp?) quoting President Kimball.

As soon as the Kimball's punchline was out of his mouth, I leaned over to my wife and said, "I hate it when prophets lie."

According to her, I was not using my indoor voice and the entire row in front of us heard.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Well at least the poeple on the row in front of you had something to talk about at dinner that night.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm 
\m/ \m/

consiglieri wrote:

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I suppose that was offensive to those within earshot that love it when prophets lie.

And the truth shall set you free, but first it will piss you off!!! UtahMike re the Kirtland and Nauvoo plural marriage essay, co-opting Gloria Steinem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:04 pm 
God

sock puppet wrote:
I suppose that was offensive to those within earshot that love it when prophets lie.

That would explain the sideways glances.

Another thing this high councilguy said in his mercifully brief comments (because the first two speakers went long) was that the leaders speak to our local leaders, and then they speak to the high council, and then they speak to us.

They are all speaking the same words. He was positively giddy about it.

I kept thinking glumly, "And why is this a good thing, exactly?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:09 pm 
God

Inspiration from the Lord's prophet at work! The Lord doth not lie. Prophets are moved by the Spirit to lead the church and spend sacred funds in a manner which pleases the Lord.

Paul O

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:45 pm 
God

consiglieri wrote:

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Maybe the stake high councilguy was suggesting that with proper indoctrination, a congregation's senses can be altered enough that tedious talks can seem entertaining. The council guy might see the Holy Ghost as a powerful anesthetic agent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 pm 
God

I often marveled at this quote. Sacrament meetings made me sleepy. I sleep less during the day than I used to.

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:32 am 
God

Why didn't Spencer Kimball attend Sacrament Meetings...?

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator