It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changes to come for NAMIR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 pm 
God

I have it on good authority that there is an influential movement of scholars who are unhappy with the current direction of polemics led by Dan and his editorial team.

Expect major changes in the near future.

Post subject: Re: Changes to come for NAMIR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:57 pm 
God

Kevin Graham wrote:
I have it on good authority that there is an influential movement of scholars who are unhappy with the current direction of polemics led by Dan and his editorial team.

I bet none of those "so called" scholars ever fought in the trenches of World War I and were forced to crawl through the mud in order to advance on enemy positions. They only enjoy their ethical positions because there are brave apologists like Dan and his editorial team stationed on the ivory parapets armed only with sticks of dynamite and a trusty sniper rifle.

Centuries from now they will be telling Dan's story in the movie Bravetassel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 pm 
Seedy Academician

Kevin Graham wrote:

I do hope that is true, and I hope the changes are ones for the better.

My fingers are crossed.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:15 pm 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:

I do hope that is true, and I hope the changes are ones for the better.

My fingers are crossed.

The worst case scenario is that this is just wishful thinking among a group of not so influential scholars. In the best case scenario, the Church would have decided to "clean house" by removing Dan and his entourage of hit men, who are currently leading the charge as modern Danites.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:17 am 
Founder & Visionary

Kevin Graham wrote:

Yeah, but are any of them in any way connected to FARMS/NAMIRS?

Quote:

Not if they're outsiders.

--Brother of Jerry, Recovery from Mormonism

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:33 am 
God

moksha wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:

I bet none of those "so called" scholars ever fought in the trenches of World War I and were forced to crawl through the mud in order to advance on enemy positions. They only enjoy their ethical positions because there are brave apologists like Dan and his editorial team stationed on the ivory parapets armed only with sticks of dynamite and a trusty sniper rifle.

That was actually pretty good. Dr. Shades should add and upvote/downvote feature to posts. You get an upvote for being clever.

- VRDRC

www.cesletter.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:16 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
That was actually pretty good. Dr. Shades should add and upvote/downvote feature to posts. You get an upvote for being clever.

- VRDRC

Moksha deserves many upvotes and provides me with much comic relief.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:03 am 
God

Kevin Graham wrote:
The worst case scenario is that this is just wishful thinking among a group of not so influential scholars. In the best case scenario, the Church would have decided to "clean house" by removing Dan and his entourage of hit men, who are currently leading the charge as modern Danites.

DCP is supposed to be a man of peace, a humble religious person that is expected to gracefully take a message to the people. I view him as a violent apologist out for blood -- not a kind little lamb who follows Jesus. He has lived by the sword and will die by the sword. The General Authorities will likely sacrifice him on an altar as an example. He is expendable. Many of his conversations will provide plenty of future embarrassment for the church. Surely the leaders know this. It's only a matter of time before that hand knocks on his door and he is told to clean his desk out.

Paul O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:56 am 
Sunbeam

Shulem wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:
The worst case scenario is that this is just wishful thinking among a group of not so influential scholars. In the best case scenario, the Church would have decided to "clean house" I've talked to no one about this that has any association with apologists or critics. I've talked to no one about this that has any association with apologists or critics. removing Dan and his entourage of hit men, who are currently leading the charge as modern Danites.

DCP is supposed to be a man of peace, a humble religious person that is expected to gracefully take a message to the people. I view him as a violent apologist out for blood -- not a kind little lamb who follows Jesus. He has lived by the sword and will die by the sword. The General Authorities will likely sacrifice him on an altar as an example. He is expendable. Many of his conversations will provide plenty of future embarrassment for the church. Surely the leaders know this. It's only a matter of time before that hand knocks on his door and he is told to clean his desk out.

Paul O

Fantasy or prophecy?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:02 am 
God

Persephone wrote:
Fantasy or prophecy?

The church is bleeding members and is scared to death about having a bad public image. That's why they are spending a fortune plastering smiling faces all over billboards and TV ads. The church is trying to be seen as a happy group that is nice to everyone. But DCP is not nice to people that disagree with him and oppose his views. He doesn't come across as a Christian that is supposed to be kind and turn the other cheek. The church will cut him loose when the time is ripe. It all depends on the upcoming political changes that are taking place in this country and on the LDS church homefront. DCP is going to be a thing of the past. The church will sweep all those mean apologists right out of BYU with the rest of the trash!

Paul O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:09 am 
Sunbeam

Shulem wrote:
Persephone wrote:
Fantasy or prophecy?

The church is bleeding members and is scared to death about having a bad public image. That's why they are spending a fortune plastering smiling faces all over billboards and TV ads. The church is trying to be seen as a happy group that is nice to everyone. But DCP is not nice to people that disagree with him and oppose his views. He doesn't come across as a Christian that is supposed to be kind and turn the other cheek. The church will cut him loose when the time is ripe. It all depends on the upcoming political changes that are taking place in this country and on the LDS church homefront. DCP is going to be a thing of the past. The church will sweep all those mean apologists right out of BYU with the rest of the trash!

Paul O

I sure hope you're right. That would be a real "watershed moment" to go along with the so-called "Mormon moment" we're supposedly having right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 am 
God

Persephone wrote:
I sure hope you're right. That would be a real "watershed moment" to go along with the so-called "Mormon moment" we're supposedly having right now.

I'm right. Satan tells me secrets. DCP needs to be counting his pennies and making plans for his future. Oh, I'm afraid that his future will not be with BYU.

Paul O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:33 pm 
Classless piece of s***

First stemelbow leaves the board, now Dan Peterson is getting canned?

A banner week!

H.

~ Simone de Beauvoir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:42 pm 
LDSToronto wrote:

A banner week!

H.

Who said anything about DCP getting fired? This is all just wishful speculation on some of the posters here.

You know..it is pretty sad that you take such joy in other's possible misfortunes. Talk about hypocrisy. Isn't that what Dan is supposedly being criticized for? :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Classless piece of s***

liz3564 wrote:
LDSToronto wrote:

A banner week!

H.

Who said anything about DCP getting fired? This is all just wishful speculation on some of the posters here.

You know..it is pretty sad that you take such joy in other's possible misfortunes. Talk about hypocrisy. Isn't that what Dan is supposedly being criticized for? :rolleyes:

Come now, Liz. As a NO-Mormon you know full well that these aren't misfortunes, they are blessings. I am simply rejoicing that such blessings are bountiful! Think of how the Lord has blessed us all as members of this board now that Stem is gone - we don't have to listen to him insult us all. And if Dan is leaving NAMIRS, think of all the goodwill that will show to members and non-members and struggling members he has offended over the years!

Your God is an AWESOME God!

H.

~ Simone de Beauvoir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:53 pm 
Seedy Academician

Golly gee, it just seems like y'all are hatin' on DCP and so forth. That can't be healthy. I feel bad for all of you and hope you would spend your time on more constructive things, like making crafts out of egg cartons or somethin'.

Just sayin'!

Ahhh... the memories.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:19 pm 
God

Liz, I doubt Dan is going to be in dire straits with his six figure income, he is still going to be a tenured professor at BYU. And as he likes to remind us, he doesn't get paid anything to do apologetics anyway.

Look on the bright side. With him out, the position is open to some other lucky person who might take NAMIR in a more responsible and respectable direction. Instead of being sad for Dan, let's be happy for whoever his replacement is.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:29 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Kevin Graham wrote:
Liz, I doubt Dan is going to be in dire straits with his six figure income, he is still going to be a tenured professor at BYU. And as he likes to remind us, he doesn't get paid anything to do apologetics anyway.

Look on the bright side. With him out, the position is open to some other lucky person who might take NAMIR in a more responsible and respectable direction. Instead of being sad for Dan, let's be happy for whoever his replacement is.

Yes, I agree. He doesn't get paid to work on the Review, as he's reminded us like a thousand times. This isn't going to affect his income one iota. The one question mark vis-à-vis the MI is whether or not he'll stay on at METI, or whether they'll kick him out of that, too.

People were telling him for years that he was too hostile, too engaged in mockery and derision, and he refused to listen, so now the result is that he no longer gets to oversee this publication. This is a tremendous repudiation of all those Mopologists who've been claiming for years that the Review was just a humble "scholarly" journal.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:25 pm 
Seedy Academician

Kevin Graham wrote:

They should put Brian Hauglid in the position as his replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:37 pm 
God

LDSToronto wrote:
Come now, Liz. As a NO-Mormon you know full well that these aren't misfortunes, they are blessings. I am simply rejoicing that such blessings are bountiful! Think of how the Lord has blessed us all as members of this board now that Stem is gone - we don't have to listen to him insult us all. And if Dan is leaving NAMIRS, think of all the goodwill that will show to members and non-members and struggling members he has offended over the years!

Your God is an AWESOME God!

H.

It's no more vindictive than releasing 70's.

But MI isn't the DCP's only problem. There's still his blog with its deep insights about race in America and the Nov. show down between Obama and Mormonism is getting ever closer.

I'm still betting an early retirement and a senior mission to India before election day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:53 pm 
God

Location: Somewhere on the ocean with know-it-all control freak Nephi
moksha wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:

I bet none of those "so called" scholars ever fought in the trenches of World War I and were forced to crawl through the mud in order to advance on enemy positions. They only enjoy their ethically positions because there are brave apologists like Dan and his editorial team stationed on the ivory parapets armed only with sticks of dynamite and a trusty sniper rifle.

+1

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits