It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the 'second annointing'?
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:35 am 
God

I've heard this phrase a couple of times.

What is it?

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator

Post subject: Re: What is the 'second annointing'?
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am 
Regional Representative

Drifting wrote:

What is it?

It is your "Calling and election made sure"; "receiving the second comforter"; "The more sure word of prophecy".

Sometimes it is referred to as the second endowment. In the early days of the church, getting ones second endowment was quite common, and did not neccessarily carry with it the implications that it became known for later.

With the passage of time, the second endowment involved a couple receiving an invitation from a member of the twelve. From my understanding, part of the endowment took place in the temple, and the second portion, in the couples home. In the last portion they had the opportunity to "Seek the face of the lord", if they so wished, which was nothing less than a visitation from Christ himself.

That is what I recall from my days in middle earth, but I have to admit that it has been along time since I was in the shire....

Last edited by Maxrep on Mon May 28, 2012 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:05 am 
Classless piece of s***

Here is an account of the actual ceremony.

~ Simone de Beauvoir

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:31 am 
God

LDSToronto wrote:

Oh....
My....
God....

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:33 pm 
Stake High Council

Hmmmmmmmm....

What happens if you have had the "second anointing" and you are later excommunicated from the church?

Like my former Stake President. Who was gay (and still is) at the time of his anointing. Who was ex'd after it was revealed he was having a seven year affair with another dude. Who now believes the church is a bunch of hocus pocus.

Is his calling and election still "made sure"?

Post subject: Re: -
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:56 pm 
God

-

Last edited by Hasa Diga Eebowai on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:02 pm 
God

Jonah wrote:
Hmmmmmmmm....

What happens if you have had the "second anointing" and you are later excommunicated from the church?

Like my former Stake President. Who was gay (and still is) at the time of his anointing. Who was ex'd after it was revealed he was having a seven year affair with another dude. Who now believes the church is a bunch of hocus pocus.

Apparently yes.
He can live his gay life and still gain Celestial glory providing he avoids shedding innocent blood.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:07 pm 
God

-

Last edited by Hasa Diga Eebowai on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:13 pm 
God

-

Last edited by Hasa Diga Eebowai on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:40 pm 
High Priest

Drifting wrote:

What is it?

Here is a nice typescript of Heber Kimball's

http://www.ldsendowment.org/kimball.html

Also Kimball's diary records the second part of the ceremony. If you would like to read that part, I will see if it is on the Internet.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:43 pm 
God

Jonah wrote:
H

His indulgence is paid in full.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 pm 
High Priest

I also wanted to mention that Devery Anderson's excellent book on the "Development of LDS Temple Worship" has some great accounts. On page 414 he quotes Russell Nelson telling about his 2nd and that he went on a Sunday (when the temples are closed) and on page 430 he quotes Joseph Bentley getting his 2nd where he says that he along with five or six other couples where with him and his wife as they went into the Holy of Holies in the Salt Lake City temple.

A friend of mine who lives in the Jordon River area says that often he sees cars in the parking lot of the temple on Sundays. We both have figured that this is one of the temples that members of the 12 use for peoples 2nds.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:18 pm 
God

The second anointing is different from your calling and election being made sure. The second anointing is merely an ordinance performed in the temple. It has no more power to save you than baptism. Your calling and election is only possible with the Lord himself. If the Lord appears and judges you and says your calling and election is made sure - then save falling as a son of perdition like Judas - you are saved. There are only a few individuals I know have had their calling and election made sure - the holy prophets, the 12 disciples, and the 12 apostles of Christ. Four of whom, despite having their calling and election made sure, wished to continue in the flesh in service to God and mankind.

Sons of perdition are those who have seen and know for certain there is a God, then turn and deny that. You cannot be perdition without that knowledge. Anyone that claims they are perdition otherwise is merely a liar and a Telestial being.