It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 45  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 6401
Location: The Orange House: The loft overlooking the garden
Runtu, use this! I love this gif...it comes in handy here.

Image

_________________
not all facts are even facts~ldsfaqs
And if pigs flew we wouldn't usually eat pork.~ldsfaqs


~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:45 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:45 am
Posts: 7530
Location: somewhere else
cafe crema wrote:
doughtheavenger wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree. These statements are not about getting anyone's approval. They are about getting out the truth. If I were to choose a person who was the victim of racism, it wouldn't be any black American who frankly know less about racism than most people. I would rather choose a survivor of Auschwitz or some other death camp. Gypsies and Jews who lived through the 1930s and 40s in Europe are the people who's life stories created a reaction against racism. Most of what is said about racism in America today is semi-literate trivialization of the subject.

So gypsies and Jews were a different race than the rest of Germany, I did not know that.


That is the most ignorant thing I've ever read on MDD. And that is saying a whole lot.

It's bad enough that he displays a horrible ignorance about world history, but I don't know how a person could be that ignorant of American history.

_________________
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:50 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:45 am
Posts: 7530
Location: somewhere else
Runtu wrote:
bcspace wrote:
Yes, I think it's funny how you guys concentrate only on the mentally ill and drug fueled Mormon and not the mentally ill and drug fueled liberal atheist and try to make it seem that all Mormons are like this guy when the same logic says all atheists and liberals are like Jared Lee Loughner.


Who are "you guys"? CFR on me doing anything like that.

Quote:
Notice also how you skip over and ignore the evidence given.


What evidence have I ignored? You made a joke about a mass murder, and I made a brief comment. It's not like I built this ridiculous hobby horse about "doctrine" and then ran away when I was shown just how ridiculous it was.

Quote:
This is why we brand you as antiMormons; because you're willing to lie and say or support anything to smear the Church even if it's not true.


BS. I am not willing to lie or say or support anything to smear the church. I am tired of you attacking my character and honesty for no reason other than you don't like people who have left the church. Stop lying about me.


Why bother, runtu? Do you really expect an amoral narcissist to display intellectual integrity? It is one thing to debate a principled human being who takes a position different from or in opposition to your own. It's another thing entirely to engage with someone who is playing a morally empty ego game that has very little to do with Mormonism or religion. Or at least he better pray to God that it doesn't.

_________________
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:49 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 10:07 pm
Posts: 1651
dougtheavenger wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree. These statements are not about getting anyone's approval. They are about getting out the truth. If I were to choose a person who was the victim of racism, it wouldn't be any black American who frankly know less about racism than most people. I would rather choose a survivor of Auschwitz or some other death camp. Gypsies and Jews who lived through the 1930s and 40s in Europe are the people who's life stories created a reaction against racism. Most of what is said about racism in America today is semi-literate trivialization of the subject.
cafe crema wrote:
So gypsies and Jews were a different race than the rest of Germany, I did not know that.


Blixa wrote:
That is the most ignorant thing I've ever read on MDD. And that is saying a whole lot.

It's bad enough that he displays a horrible ignorance about world history, but I don't know how a person could be that ignorant of American history.


I admit I found dougtheavenger's post stupefyingly ignorant, at the same time I realize the world is peppered with this kind of ugly ignorance. What I found truly appalling about this was, no one called him on it. On that thread not a single Mormon disagreed with the idea that Black Americans don't know anything about racism. There were posters on that thread I really did expect better from, unbelievable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:17 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:06 pm
Posts: 15050
Location: Sterling, Virginia
Blixa wrote:
Why bother, runtu? Do you really expect an amoral narcissist to display intellectual integrity? It is one thing to debate a principled human being who takes a position different from or in opposition to your own. It's another thing entirely to engage with someone who is playing a morally empty ego game that has very little to do with Mormonism or religion. Or at least he better pray to God that it doesn't.


You're quite right. It has been a constant amazement to me how many apologists, while ostensibly religious, have no morals or ethics and will do whatever it takes to defend their religion. As I said in another thread, this isn't about truth; it's about bc's ego.

_________________
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:20 am 
mfbukowski wrote:
Let me just answer this question directly as I would without regard to anything beyond what Selek says post 2

To me, all the "scholarly stuff" misses the point entirely. I don't care WHERE the Book of Abraham came from- I believe in what is called the "catalyst" theory, which is in 25 words or less, that Joseph got the papyri and truly believed he was doing a literal "translation" of what the papyri said- AND in fact what came out of him were the inspired words of Abraham.

He could have been "translating" the pattern of his wallpaper as far as I am concerned- I don't care if he was looking at an Egyptian newspaper article about a horse race (kidding of course to make a point- the Kentucky derby is on) BUT WHAT HE WROTE were the words of God.

So if all that is true, the entire scholarly debate is exactly irrelevant, period.

We don't have the plates and we accept the Book of Mormon to be the word of God without them. People accept the Bible to be the word of God and there are no 10 commandments etched by the finger of God, supposedly, to be argued about.

Those arguments are irrelevant. AND they could not prove any scripture was of God even if we had every word AND the papyri were verified as being possibly actually from Abraham's time, AND if Egyptologists actually verified the translation as literal.

We have no scientific evidence of the resurrection or even the existence of Jesus which is incontrovertibly provable- and even if we did, it would not prove that he was the Son of God who died for our sins.

Such things don't have anything to do with science! They have to do with faith and the meaning they give our lives. In other words, a testimony is the only way these things can be shown to be "true" EVEN WITH ALL THE SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE IN THE WORLD

So worrying about scholarly evidences for OR AGAINST the Book of Abraham is a waste of time in my humble opinion and totally misses the point.


ERayR wrote:
My name is ERayR and I approve this message. Seriously all the scientific evidence, pro or con, is immaterial. The only thing that means anything is that personal witness that it is the word of God. I guess if you don't have that then one must struggle through all this and still never know.


Scientific or scholarly evidence be damned. They're going to believe it all anyway.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:32 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:28 pm
Posts: 1451
Daniel Peterson, on 10 May 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:
It remains my policy not to publicly discuss the background of editorial and personnel decisions. But I think I should say that Bill Hamblin's brief account of the immediate background of l'affaire Smith-Dehlin, above, is correct.

I say this simply because I've noticed that others elsewhere, who don't actually know the back story (and who, by their own admission, haven't read the article in question), are deriding Bill for getting it wrong. He hasn't.

Bill Hamblin, on 10 May 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

The people over at Bedlam are among the most full-of-**** morons I've ever seen. And that's the nice way to put it.

Bill Hamblin, on 10 May 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

The world is a strange place. Very strange. But the fact that he tried to suppress the article doesn't mean that he will succeed. I'm sure you'll all get to read it eventually, one way or another.

I've got a copy, and it's a superb piece of work. I'm tempted to post it on the internet right now ... But I have to go pack for Ireland. Erin go Braugh!

Daniel Peterson, on 10 May 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:
I'm certainly not going to disagree with either of Bill's posts above.

Sure would like to go to Ireland, though. Never been there, but, as it happens, I'll be dropping in very briefly in July.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:22 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:14 am
Posts: 4078
Location: Somewhere on Interstate 94
Ireland? Just asked Google.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Mormon ... 41433.html

:eek:

_________________
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:06 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 6:40 pm
Posts: 5042
Location: What does the fox say?
This got locked in a heartbeat:

In response to: http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/577 ... 1209121619
Matthew J. Tandy wrote:
DWhitmer: Your post is completely irrelevant to this thread. It has nothing to do directly with the mysterios article involving John Dehlin, nor the interaction of Dan, John, and a general authority. Please open a new thread if you wish to preach about the fallen restored church. Wait. That's against the board rules. On second thought, please just try to stay on topic.


Dwitmer Starts a new thread, as per the request.
http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/577 ... acred-cow/

DWhitmer wrote:
Since Mormonism claims that the key stone of their religion is the Book of Mormon; and since the validity of the Nephite record is based in large on the claims of the twelve witnesses; any "slaying" of a Book of Mormon witness, to disparage their character, deserves a response.

In another thread Pahoran said:

Pahoran wrote:
Quote
And now to slaughter your sacred cow:

David Whitmer was clearly a conservative, low-church Protestant throughout his life. He enlarged his definition of "scripture" to include the Book of Mormon because he had to -- his undeniable supernatural experiences left him no choice. But he then carried on as if nothing much else had happened. Receiving no such supernatural experiences about the relevations (in contrast to others) he disregarded them as long as they disagreed with his interpretation of what he was willing to receive as scripture. Thus it is that his testimony of the supernatural events around the coming forth of the Book of Mormon is superlatively important, because it is clear that if those events had not happened, he would have refused to believe them; while his rather stupid opinions about Joseph Smith's prophetic calling, tainted as they clearly were by personal jealousy and animus, are rather worthless, since they merely reflect his own personal prejudices.

Regards,
Pahoran



Let's see:
Disregarded
Superlative
Unimportant
Stupid
Opinions
Tainted
Jealousy
Animus
Worthless
Personal
Prejudices
Something was slained - the character of the most interviewed and therefore staunches defender of the book you claim to believe in. What are the facts?



David was such a "jealous" person that despite not having participated in Zion's Camp he was immediately ordained thereafter as J.Smith's successor, almost to say to the others:

"If you were dumb enough to join me in Zion's Camp, you're not fit to be a leader of this church."





When Emma sent her sons to meet David Whitmer, knowing he was such an "opinionated" person she said:

"When you see David Whitmer, you will see an HONEST man." (Emma Smith, 1856, Saints' Herald, June 21, 1884)

So the moderator chimes in....

Obviously Pahoran missed the mark and hasn't the foggiest idea who the true David Whitmer was.

As a general rule we do not allow personal threads. If you want to fight with Pahoran use a PM.



Pahoran gets chumped, a strong argument is made and the thread gets locked........ but I didn't see any personal attack, so why did it get locked for other than making a good argument and making Pahoran a fool?

Those mods don't like it when the cadre of the elite get pwned.

_________________
The ultimate action of a warrior, is to put down his sword.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:54 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 2534
Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
Quote:
Nomad has been banned from the board.

Skylla


http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/577 ... 1209122130

_________________
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:19 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm
Posts: 3717
Bond James Bond wrote:
Quote:
Nomad has been banned from the board.

Skylla


http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/577 ... 1209122130


Ha ha ha!

Hey, Skylla -- kiss my ass you power hungry little man. And, ram Facsimile No. 3 up your moderating hole. You'll be banned eventually too. Just watch. Then we can all get a good laugh at watching you get thrown off the happy bus.

Paul O

_________________
Let Jesus f*** you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOymhS1RDCY


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:37 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 am
Posts: 1749
Shulem wrote:

Ha ha ha!

Hey, Skylla -- kiss my ass you power hungry little man. And, ram Facsimile No. 3 up your moderating hole. You'll be banned eventually too. Just watch. Then we can all get a good laugh at watching you get thrown off the happy bus.

Paul O


This obsession of Facsimile 3 is unhealthy. There are meds for that you know.

JMS

_________________
Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition from Mediocre Minds - Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:57 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 am
Posts: 2934
Location: Dallas, Texas
jskains wrote:
Shulem wrote:

Ha ha ha!

Hey, Skylla -- kiss my ass you power hungry little man. And, ram Facsimile No. 3 up your moderating hole. You'll be banned eventually too. Just watch. Then we can all get a good laugh at watching you get thrown off the happy bus.

Paul O


This obsession of Facsimile 3 is unhealthy. There are meds for that you know.

JMS


JMS, I agree that Paul's reference to Facsimile 3 gets tiresome. But if you want to make him stop, why don't you just give him the name of the king in facsimile 3, or give a reasonable explanation of why Anubis is called a slave. If you don't like his question, just answer it.

_________________
"Mormonism only makes sense when concluding that it is not what it claims to be."--Craig Paxton
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:02 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 am
Posts: 1749
The explanations are in the POGP.

JMS

_________________
Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition from Mediocre Minds - Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 am
Posts: 2934
Location: Dallas, Texas
jskains wrote:
The explanations are in the POGP.

JMS

You call that an answer? Somehow, I don't think Paul O. will find that persuasive, lol.

_________________
"Mormonism only makes sense when concluding that it is not what it claims to be."--Craig Paxton
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:20 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 am
Posts: 1749
I don't think Paul O finds life persuasive.

JMS

_________________
Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition from Mediocre Minds - Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:42 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7950
jskains wrote:
The explanations are in the POGP.

JMS


That's how we know Joseph got it wrong.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:57 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 am
Posts: 1749
Themis wrote:
jskains wrote:
The explanations are in the POGP.

JMS


That's how we know Joseph got it wrong.


Was Joseph the name of the human Egyptologist you think is infallible?

JMS

_________________
Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition from Mediocre Minds - Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:10 pm 
tired, less active investigator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:07 am
Posts: 7193
Location: Hungary
jskains wrote:
The explanations are in the POGP.

JMS
Themis wrote:

That's how we know Joseph got it wrong.
jskains wrote:

Was Joseph the name of the human Egyptologist you think is infallible?

JMS
Anyway, he was a prophet, seer, revelator, translator - see D&C 21:1, 107:92, 124:125.

_________________
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:47 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm
Posts: 3717
Equality wrote:
jskains wrote:
The explanations are in the POGP.

JMS

You call that an answer? Somehow, I don't think Paul O. will find that persuasive, lol.


I don't find it persuasive at all. It was a dodge, obviously.

Clearly, Joseph Smith was a fraud and his claims to translate Egyptian by the power of God was a lie. All of his Explanations in the Facsimile are made up lies. And the text of the story is also a made up lie using other sources to create a base and then add to the word like he loved to do. It was his creative desire to write scripture and be a prophet among his people.

But thanks to modern science, Joseph Smith is a proven liar and false translator.

Paul O

_________________
Let Jesus f*** you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOymhS1RDCY


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:13 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:33 pm
Posts: 12064
Location: Kli-flos-is-es
Bond James Bond wrote:
Quote:
Nomad has been banned from the board.

Skylla


http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/577 ... 1209122130


Good thing Will still has his main account. But now he'll have to rely on Wade for props, or else get a new sock puppet.

_________________
Parley P. Pratt wrote:
We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.


Last edited by Buffalo on Mon May 14, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 45  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Tim and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group