Why can't the geography be in new York area.
Can you help me out?
A better question may be: "How could it be anywhere but western New York"? Prophecy was ONLY fulfilled there!
...I don't believe that the plates would have been dragged all the way up to New York just cause without some mention of it in the Book of Mormon. Just my belief. JMS
These are significant facts Mesoapologists are ignorant of:
1. Mormon and Moroni knew prophecy said their people would be destroyed - at the find battle.
2. Both Mormon and his son Moroni went to battle "at the head" of their 10k.
3. Are we to believe he risked the loss of the entire plates by carrying them with him into battle? Not hardly, they were secured before they went into battle and he only carried 2 or 3 spare sheets IF he survived to write.
4. Moroni stayed in the area for two reasons: a. He knew the area. b. To watch over the depository.
5. The evidence is clear that Moroni stayed nearby. On two separate occasions he reports what was going on with the Lamanites.
6. At the end of the Book of Mormon (within the Book of Mormon), Moroni says he has but few plates (what could be carried into battle, 2 or 3 maybe) and regrets that he doesn't have more plates to write on.
7. At the beginning of the Book of Moroni, he informs us that he added the Book of Ether - where did he get that record and all those plates?? (Answer, he hid where Ether hid during the
Jaredite battle and there found additional plates. The place where the Jaredites were destroyed was Ramah, not Cumorah. They are two different locations, a fact ALL geography enthusiasts miss!)
8. After adding the Book of Ether and at the start of his book Moroni AGAIN reports that the Lamanites are STILL around! (yes, he was still by Lamanites at the end of his life 20+ years later.)
Does the Book of Mormon have to an accurate historical record to sustain your faith. Or, should it come to light with 101% certainty that it was a fraud, would you faith in God still be maintained?
Yes and that won't happen. What is keeping back proof is God - He will NOT LET PROOFS UNTIL THE BOOK OF Mormon IS NO LONGER ASSOCIATED WITH THE FALSE Mormon RELIGION! Give thanks, don't complain. They blew it and are under a curse (D&C 84:54). That's ALL THAT EVER NEED BE SAID.
The fact is there is little evidence of large populations in New York during the time period in question and so there is little reason to believe the Book of Mormon took place there. The reason many believe it took place in MesoAmerica is precisely because of the remains of large civilizations and the populations necessary, in close proximity to one another, to sustain such a story.
That's incorrect, but precisely what they want you to believe. The Smithsonian has an agenda - don't show a. large numbers, b. written language, c. use of metals, etc. The truth is, western New York was highly populated and advanced:
"Commencing at the southern shores of the northern lakes [Erie & Ontario] and extending southward a hundred miles or more we find a greater number of military works than in any other section of the United States" (Frederick Larkin, M.D., Ancient Man in America, 1888, p. 72)
"From all the evidence in the Book of Mormon, augmented by the testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, these final battles took place in the territory known as the United States, and in the neighborhood of the Great Lakes, and hills of Western New York." (President Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr.)
Keep in mind that every military work was a city and each city had from 200-300 people. Therefore western New York was extensively populated by hundreds of thousands. Also keep in mind that the battle numbers are not synonymous with the population of core Book of Mormon lands. It took 3.5 years to gather all believers to the final battle, and core Book of Mormon lands were only 75 x 120 miles, which could be covered in a day and half on flat terrain. They gathered believers from far away as Missouri, i.e. Zelph.