It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the Church really growing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:45 am 
God

http://jhuston.com/membership_new.pdf

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator

Post subject: Re: Is the Church really growing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:04 am 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
Alf O'Mega's annual statistics can be found here:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/573 ... ge__st__20

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:41 am 
God

yes, it is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
yes, it is.

The numbers indicate that membership isn't growing in line with general population growth. Therefore, not only are convert numbers smaller as a proportion, birth rates are reducing in Mormon members.

I guess that last been down is to the sharp increase in single adult males exiting the Church leaving a large imbalance of potential husbands and potential wives.

If your salary were to grow slower than inflation, your wage becomes worth less and less and less. Membership numbers are doing the same.

The short answer is, no its not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:03 pm 
God

Drifting wrote:
subgenius wrote:
yes, it is.

The numbers indicate that membership isn't growing in line with general population growth. Therefore, not only are convert numbers smaller as a proportion, birth rates are reducing in Mormon members.

I guess that last been down is to the sharp increase in single adult males exiting the Church leaving a large imbalance of potential husbands and potential wives.

If your salary were to grow slower than inflation, your wage becomes worth less and less and less. Membership numbers are doing the same.

The short answer is, no its not.

Based on what I know is that in the US the church is growing slowly and maintaining it's proportion of the population. In the rest of the developed world it is either flat lined and not keeping up with population growth or decreasing in numbers. The developing world(where the church has a presence) has high baptismal numbers, but how many stay active tends to be very low. The US has the advantage of areas that have high LDS numbers which helps to keep many BIC active due to culture and family. The information age has certainly hurt the church, and I believe it will get worse over time, forcing the church to either change or go through a slow death. I would still believe except for the information from places like fair and farms.

To get accurate numbers you really have to go with census information. The church only releases some basic numbers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 pm 
the very elect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 am 
Themis wrote:
Based on what I know is that in the US the church is growing slowly and maintaining it's proportion of the population. In the rest of the developed world it is either flat lined and not keeping up with population growth or decreasing in numbers. The developing world(where the church has a presence) has high baptismal numbers, but how many stay active tends to be very low. The US has the advantage of areas that have high LDS numbers which helps to keep many BIC active due to culture and family. The information age has certainly hurt the church, and I believe it will get worse over time, forcing the church to either change or go through a slow death. I would still believe except for the information from places like fair and farms.

To get accurate numbers you really have to go with census information. The church only releases some basic numbers.

I think it is pretty clear that the LDS Church is a US Church. It has its roots here, much like the Lutheran Church does. It seems as no surprise to me that the majority of growth would still be here, in the US. I think that it is easier to see why the Catholic Church has more of a world-wide presence, particularly in Europe. The Catholic Church headquarters are in Rome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:51 am 
God

The Church has been in recession since 1989.

What happened in 1989?
The Berlin Wall came down.
Tiananman Square.
Commercial internet service providers began to emerge in the late 1980s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:39 pm 
God

The church's population percentage will skyrocket after the destruction of the wicked, as Malachi prophesied. That will probably be complete sometime after New York is devastated by earthquake, Boston is overrun by the sea, and Albany is decimated by fire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:00 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
gdemetz wrote:
The church's population percentage will skyrocket after the destruction of the wicked, as Malachi prophesied. That will probably be complete sometime after New York is devastated by earthquake, Boston is overrun by the sea, and Albany is decimated by fire.

Time and date?

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:02 am 
tired, less active investigator

gdemetz wrote:

once upon a time... (yes, we don't know the exact date and time)
one follower of The Savior of the world... (for english-speaker-KJV-users he was called Matthew)
somewhere... (in the 22th of chapter)
wrote:
36. Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37. Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38. This is the first and great commandment.
39. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

And thou shalt make them to be devastated by earthquake
And thou shalt make them to be overrun by the sea
And thou shalt make them to be decimated by fire
Jesus said unto him
This is not so great commandment, added the Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:05 am 
God

gdemetz wrote:

Which will be shortly before hell freezes over and pigs take up aerobatics...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:01 am 
God

I prayed yesterday that you all would still be alive to witness those events. I think that is a good sign for you that even you guys can't miss! I think that would be a very good wake up call!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:46 am 
God

gdemetz wrote:

Can you supply an approximate timeframe and define 'skyrocket' in absolute numerical terms?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:16 pm 
God

I'm sorry Drifting, I really could only guess as to when God would do that. By skyrocket, I mean to go from a fraction of one percent to at least 10 times that or more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:50 pm 
God

gdemetz wrote:
I'm sorry Drifting, I really could only guess as to when God would do that. By skyrocket, I mean to go from a fraction of one percent to at least 10 times that or more.

Do you believe that prior to this hard to notice skyrocketing God will allow his numbers to go backwards for a spell? Maybe to add to the dramatic effect of when it does finally head North.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:41 am 
1st Counselor

gdemetz wrote:
I prayed yesterday that you all would still be alive to witness those events. I think that is a good sign for you that even you guys can't miss! I think that would be a very good wake up call!

I appreciate the sentiment. But to wake me up, I'd have to be 'Rip Van Winkle' and sleep for a very, very, long time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:12 pm 
God

I don't think that it is a question of God allowing that. Everyone has the freedom to chose for themselves, but it will be interesting for me to see if the church can keep up with the population growths. I hope it can even before that time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:24 pm 
God

gdemetz wrote:

Okay, now I am certain you do not believe what you are typing.

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 pm 
God

I wouldn't have written it if I didn't believe it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 pm 
God

gdemetz wrote:
I wouldn't have written it if I didn't believe it.

What sea is going to overrun Boston?

No, seriously, your posts seem to be taking a turn for the more bizarre fringe old time beliefs. Almost like a joke. Just an observation.

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~