It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Is this Theme "nice" enough, or is it too old?
It's perfect!  0%  [ 0 ]
It's a little old but good still.  0%  [ 0 ]
It's okay.  0%  [ 0 ]
It could be better.  0%  [ 0 ]
It sucks.  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Re: My Website.... Question about Design?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:10 pm 
God

just me wrote:
Those damn women! I bet she was a liberal.

I don't know. He could've been in a psychologically abusive relationship or something and this would read as insensitive to his real pain and suffering.

I know, I know. I'd just leave him alone when it comes to this kind of thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:25 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
ldsfaqs wrote:
Bond James Bond wrote:
Polls don't work. But I recommend not having your personal and private websites attached to a business website in order to not scare off business that might think you're distracted or not willing to do business with anti-mormons.

I have thought of that. However, most of my work is going to be Conservative and Mormon related, so I don't expect to be attracting anti-mormons anyway that would be agreeing with me per-se.

I don't think it will be too big of an issue. Like with the fitness site, the program I'll be creating to sale to everyone, no select group, even people who aren't gay, or don't like liberals, still would buy Richard Simmons or Jane Fonda exercise products or music.

Once I get more content going, the links to other websites will not be so big of an issue.
The corporate site will be cleaned up more, more neutral in it's presentation of the various products and services, so as to not inflame.

Although, I will continue to re-evaluate that, depending on the directions the business goes.

Instead of starting so many little businesses perhaps focus on one business project. And linking to any hot button website is not going to do you any good, because a lot of people are just going to say "WTF?" and not do business with someone who connects business and private life so overtly.

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:24 pm 
God

just me wrote:
Those damn women! I bet she was a liberal.

Ill bet she also liked Neil Diamond....my guess is that many of Mr faqs problems are someone else's fault.

That said, the sites look like standard cheesy wordpress templates that have been put together by someone with no formal design experience. If you are going for function/content over form, no problem. If you are actually trying to impress with the design, you may want to actually hire a professional.

Not really sure what kind of clientele you are looking for, but, as a professional, the instant I actually checked you and your other sites out I would never do business with you, in any way, for several reasons (none of which are design related). Since you seem to be floundering here, I will give you some advice: don't link any of your sites together if you want to be taken seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:06 pm 
God

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.
While the sites aren't operational yet, still working things out, and forming them, the Evergrow, Ex-Anti-Mormon, and WhatisRightandWrong websites ARE most certainly professional looking websites (once they are ready).

WhatisRightandWrong: http://themeforest.net/item/broadcast-n ... eme/509077
Ex-Anti-Mormon: http://themeforest.net/item/goodnews-pr ... ne/1150692
Evergrow: http://themeforest.net/item/minos-for-s ... lio/492742

Yes, they are themes, but they are some of the best looking and most functional, and highest rated themes from ThemeForest.

Yes, my other three sites, LDSfaqs, leeuniverse, & FullbodyFit are FREE themes, and older in style.
LDSfaqs though has an "archeology" type feel to it, hence why I like it. But I do recognize it might be a little old, hence my question for this thread.
The FullbodyFIT site was simply a clean and simple, little more modern look that I picked, just so I could initially get the site up, some content, get things going. I have another theme, likely the highest rated and most popular theme on themeforest in design and function that I will be using for that website.
(this is it: http://themeforest.net/item/karma-clean ... eme/168737 )

But, it's so advanced, I simply don't have enough content yet. I'll put that into operation once I write the book, start promoting, etc.
And the leeuniverse site was the only "family" looking free theme or paid that I could find, that had only a family/homey feel to it. I do have a couple other versions of it by the same designer, but his one is the preferred. I do also realize it's also a bit "old" style, but like I said, it was all I could find that was at all nice.

Anyway, use the wayback machine and see some of the sites what they have looked like in the past years ago when I first wanted to do something, namely the above free ones (they've been improved more or less). I'm finally now starting to do something. Everything's not perfect and ready yet, but anyone.

Anyway, if you think the above four themes are "terrible" and not professional, you're an idiot.
I don't design websites, but I know good looking and good functional websites for professional services.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:08 pm 

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
ldsfaqs wrote:
While the sites aren't operational yet, still working things out, and forming them, the Evergrow, Ex-Anti-Mormon, and WhatisRightandWrong websites ARE most certainly professional looking websites (once they are ready).

WhatisRightandWrong: http://themeforest.net/item/broadcast-n ... eme/509077
Ex-Anti-Mormon: http://themeforest.net/item/goodnews-pr ... ne/1150692
Evergrow: http://themeforest.net/item/minos-for-s ... lio/492742

Yes, they are themes, but they are some of the best looking and most functional, and highest rated themes from ThemeForest.

Yes, my other three sites, LDSfaqs, leeuniverse, & FullbodyFit are FREE themes, and older in style.
LDSfaqs though has an "archeology" type feel to it, hence why I like it. But I do recognize it might be a little old, hence my question for this thread.
The FullbodyFIT site was simply a clean and simple, little more modern look that I picked, just so I could initially get the site up, some content, get things going. I have another theme, likely the highest rated and most popular theme on themeforest in design and function that I will be using for that website.
(this is it: http://themeforest.net/item/karma-clean ... eme/168737 )

But, it's so advanced, I simply don't have enough content yet. I'll put that into operation once I write the book, start promoting, etc.
And the leeuniverse site was the only "family" looking free theme or paid that I could find, that had only a family/homey feel to it. I do have a couple other versions of it by the same designer, but his one is the preferred. I do also realize it's also a bit "old" style, but like I said, it was all I could find that was at all nice.

Anyway, use the wayback machine and see some of the sites what they have looked like in the past years ago when I first wanted to do something, namely the above free ones (they've been improved more or less). I'm finally now starting to do something. Everything's not perfect and ready yet, but anyone.

Anyway, if you think the above four themes are "terrible" and not professional, you're an idiot.
I don't design websites, but I know good looking and good functional websites for professional services.

Are you paying money for those domains?

MASH quotes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:09 pm 
God

Of course, domains aren't free....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:11 pm 

ldsfaqs wrote:
Of course, domains aren't free....

So how much money are you spending on five (more?) domains?

MASH quotes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 am 

I read part of the "thesis" for FullBodyFit. Eight commas in one sentence is too many.

MASH quotes

Last edited by Bond James Bond on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:12 am 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:
http://www.ldsfaqs.com

My other sites mostly are more "modern" looking (see links at site).
I like this ones style a lot for the site, but I'm worry'ed it's a bit old looking now.
But, I haven't found anything yet that could replace it.
Basically I'm torn. Part of me thinks it's just right, and another part thinks it's not as modern looking as it should be, for example compared to my other sites.

What do you think?

p.s. Don't be the predictable anti-mormon and simply say it sucks because you don't like me the Church, or the idea of such a site. Give me some reasonable opinions according to your personal views on website designs.

I think that someone who vehemently complained about being outed as 'leeuniverse' shouldn't post a link to his website where he is listed as 'leeuniverse'.

*facepalm*

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:24 pm 
God

Duh.... I've already been outed, so it's a moot point now....!

Lord you people are dumb! :eek:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:35 pm 
God

Even if all the sites are unlinked anyone who does a quick google of "ldsfaqs" will come up with his posts here on the first page of results.

All those terms are tainted so it *is* a moot point.

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:

Yes, its not like I have been building and marketing successful websites for 10 years now and keeping 2 different design companies busy with the work my software company brings them....I must have missed the part where I was clueless enough to come to a website called "mormon discussions" to ask for advice about the cheesy templates I chose for my personal websites.

If by "professional" (not sure you actually understand what that word means) you mean "looks like just about every generic blog on the internet" then, hey, don't let that stop you from vomiting forth yet another set of bargain-template websites into the garbage bin of third-rate, home-business websites that clog the internet. Good luck with that!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:13 pm 
God

I really liked the wood background. On a personal note, I hope your diet goes well for some really buff after pictures on your fitness site. That would be truly inspiring. Have you tried water aerobics?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm 
God

schreech wrote:
Yes, its not like I have been building and marketing successful websites for 10 years now and keeping 2 different design companies busy with the work my software company brings them....I must have missed the part where I was clueless enough to come to a website called "mormon discussions" to ask for advice about the cheesy templates I chose for my personal websites.

If by "professional" (not sure you actually understand what that word means) you mean "looks like just about every generic blog on the internet" then, hey, don't let that stop you from vomiting forth yet another set of bargain-template websites into the garbage bin of third-rate, home-business websites that clog the internet. Good luck with that!

I've been on the net and messing with and collecting Templates for years.
I know what does and does not look good and does and does not look professional, and the combination of both. And yes, a couple of them are supposed to be blogs. And they are some of the best looking and professional blogs/sites out there (the 4 I linked anyway).

So, you still stand by your statement that the 4 themes I linked are "ugly"?
If so, I still stand by your idiocy. You probably create crap and then think you're actually good.

Further, if your such the professional, why didn't you actually give me a professional evaluation, instead of simply degraded and slandered? If I ask such questions at web development sites, they will point out specifics, etc. I've even done it myself for others, telling them what is write and wrong about colors, formating, structure, etc. You've said NONE of this to me. You wrote a bunch, but didn't actually say anything.

All that tells me you're not a professional, or at least not a good one, ass one minute and professional the next if you actually have a client.

Tell you what, why don't you show us your company and designs, and let us judge?
After all, you're a professional and have a business, you should have nothing to hide.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:30 pm 
God

Professionals get paid for their professional skills.

Also, sometimes you actually can get web space for free. Ask your internet provider. Many of them offer a certain amount of free space...they just don't tell you about it unless you ask.

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
God

moksha wrote:
I really liked the wood background.

Thank you. I like that also. I'm glad someone after this huge long thread FINALLY said something constructive (other than the links issue) as to my question.

Is there anyone on this website that is capable of doing an actual analysis?
What do you like, don't like, would do different, why etc.???

Quote:
On a personal note, I hope your diet goes well for some really buff after pictures on your fitness site. That would be truly inspiring. Have you tried water aerobics?

Ya, it's going to happen. I need to re-do the pics because I've been distracted, still not working, and I'm planning on moving to Provo/Orem, better chance of getting work, and my kids are there now. In the next 2 weeks I'll finally start working out again. Those pics were taken several months back when I thought my family was coming back to me, I was like a changed man. Ex calls me out of the blue, first time she'd ever even talked to me since leaving 2 years before, and she asks me to forgive her, did, and then three weeks later she just for no reason changed her mind, and pretends I don't exist.

Anyway, going to work out, prepare for a month, and then move the last day of May. At least I hope I can motivate myself before I go. Still depressed as heck.

Thank you for the encouragement. Dealing with a pool would spend too much time I'm not going to do, unless I had one convenient. I'll be doing my FullBodyFIT program, body weight exercises, dynamic and passive exercises and stretching, and Martial Arts. Although, I know a pool is the most ideal when someone is morbidly obese. But, my program is very low impact or as high impact as you want to make it (only when you do the sports activity side). The main program itself is very low impact.

I AM going to look good again, one way or another.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
God

just me wrote:
Professionals get paid for their professional skills.

Actually, Professionals "gather" at various websites/forums and help each other out as well as newbies giving advise, answer questions, etc. Clients pay, not fellow web geeks.

Quote:
Also, sometimes you actually can get web space for free. Ask your internet provider. Many of them offer a certain amount of free space...they just don't tell you about it unless you ask.

Yes, I know all about it, I'm an Internet/Web geek & Computer expert.
I pay a very low rate for all my websites, or as many as I want with all the features I need or want at HostGator without the hassle and the limitations of free services. But, I do have a FreeHostia account as a backup if I feel the need. But no need when Hostgator is so cheap.

Anyway, anyone else have any thoughts other than liking my background, I should remove my links, and ALL of my websites "suck"?

Maybe I should just ask on the webdeveloper forums. Don't know why I expected anything "productive" from anti-mormons and liberals. :( Two pages of nothing but CRAP.... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 pm 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:
I've been on the net and messing with and collecting Templates for years.
I know what does and does not look good and does and does not look professional, and the combination of both. And yes, a couple of them are supposed to be blogs. And they are some of the best looking and professional blogs/sites out there (the 4 I linked anyway).

So, you still stand by your statement that the 4 themes I linked are "ugly"?
If so, I still stand by your idiocy. You probably create crap and then think you're actually good.

Further, if your such the professional, why didn't you actually give me a professional evaluation, instead of simply degraded and slandered? If I ask such questions at web development sites, they will point out specifics, etc. I've even done it myself for others, telling them what is write and wrong about colors, formating, structure, etc. You've said NONE of this to me. You wrote a bunch, but didn't actually say anything.

All that tells me you're not a professional, or at least not a good one, ass one minute and professional the next if you actually have a client.

Tell you what, why don't you show us your company and designs, and let us judge?
After all, you're a professional and have a business, you should have nothing to hide.

Was any of that supposed to make any sense?

1 - I never said they were ugly - apparently your reading comprehension is as good as your web design skills...

2 - I gave you my opinion, which is what you were looking for... I was trying, for one post, to ignore the fact that you are a homophobic, gravitationally-challenged, narrow-minded racist and actually give you a couple of pointers in an area I am actually very familiar with as you are obviously not particularly adept at web-design/marketing, you have no people skills and I was actually starting to feel sorry for you considering you seem to be somewhat mentally unstable...

3 - I can see why you have have been doing this for "years" and have yet to make any money doing it...

4 - Unlike you, I am not stupid enough to purposely and publicly link my professional life and my personal life.

5 - If you have applied for a job though any of the major job boards in the last 5 years, you have most likely been on one of our sites.

6 - I blame the anti-mormons, liberals and your ex-wife for your unsuccessful web ventures, it certainly has nothing to do with you...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:39 pm 
God

I don't know if ldsfaqs will find this of use or not. But since we're talking graphic design and aesthetics, I thought I'd mention a few things...

Here's some great web design:

http://www.wimdelvoye.be/

http://showstudio.com/

But you don't need to have the money or design chops to make something gorgeous which maximizes form and function. I built a simple website using Indexhibit. As a web design blog describes it, "Indexhibit is a simple to implement and easy to modify web platform (much like Wordpress) that is available for free from Indexhibit.org. It is totally open-source. The only stipulation of using it is that the site say “Built With Indexhibit” with a link back to the project site. While the standard layout and Indexhibit menu system is easy to use, Indexhibit themes are few (and not in the spirit of the project!). With a tiny amount of work, Indexhibit is highly customizable and very flexible."

The idea is not to use ready made themes---which really do make one's site look unprofessional blog---but customize your site using a few very versatile formats 'built in' to the platform or even better, learn from other participants how to produce a myriad of effects. Everyone who uses Indexhibit is extremely helpful and very cool about sharing their coding and layouts. My website is super simple: I'll be revamping it into something more fresh soon, but I'm a pushover for the minimalist and spartan aesthetic which seems to typify Indexhibit design.

swissmiss, an indispensable design blog, featured a more quick n' easy alternative to Indexhibit called Stacey. I may try this out when I redesign my site. I'm a total coding know-nothing, but I didn't find the basic HTML for Indexhibit at all difficult once I got my feet wet: plus everyone on the forum talked me through my noob issues so nicely. Still, I may try something different this time.

Anywho, here's some examples of the different things people have done in Indexhibit:

http://www.yesinacircle.com/

http://www.stephaniecorda.com/

http://www.oliverandciaran.co.uk/

http://www.simonemassafra.it/

http://www.haynesriley.com/

http://www.designandother.com.au/

http://www.armellahaene.ch/

http://www.strong-winds.com/

Clean, simple design.

Most people use Indexhibit for art portfolios or for their own graphic design work, but I've also seen sites built on this platform for businesses as well.

Last edited by Blixa on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 pm 
God

schreech wrote:
Was any of that supposed to make any sense?

1 - I never said they were ugly - apparently your reading comprehension is as good as your web design skills...

That IS what you said. You maybe didn't use the exact word, but it's what you said.

Quote:
2 - I gave you my opinion, which is what you were looking for... I was trying, for one post, to ignore the fact that you are a homophobic, gravitationally-challenged, narrow-minded racist and actually give you a couple of pointers in an area I am actually very familiar with as you are obviously not particularly adept at web-design/marketing, you have no people skills and I was actually starting to feel sorry for you considering you seem to be somewhat mentally unstable...

What an absolute LIAR you are..... Amazing how you people lie to yourselves and the rest of us. You didn't in any way shape or form "put away your judgments" of me otherwise.
Yes, you gave an "opinion", but that's all it was. You didn't provide any sort of actual "analysis" like a normal web professional would. I know buddy, this is not my first rodeo, and I've done it for others.

Sorry, but anti-mormons always say that. Any mormon that actually has any balls to condemn YOUR mental instability, and WE are the ones who are mentally unstable. Seen it all before.

Quote:
3 - I can see why you have have been doing this for "years" and have yet to make any money doing it...

I didn't say I was operating my own business in relation to my websites for years.
Obviously I'm just now try to get some things going in that regard.

Quote:
4 - Unlike you, I am not stupid enough to purposely and publicly link my professional life and my personal life.

That's because you are double minded, pretending to be good while you are evil.
People that are in the public eye that have nothing to hide don't need to post anonymously.

Quote:
5 - If you have applied for a job though any of the major job boards in the last 5 years, you have most likely been on one of our sites.

And how are they any more "professional" than the 4 I think are professional per their requirements?

Quote:
6 - I blame the anti-mormons, liberals and your ex-wife for your unsuccessful web ventures, it certainly has nothing to do with you...

Actually, the ex has some to do with the web ventures. I wasn't able to get to them and some others that aren't up at the moment because of her actions. When someone has a family, they aren't alone anymore in what things influence their actions and decisions. Maybe you didn't know that???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:57 pm 
God

Blixa wrote:
I don't know if ldsfaqs will find this of use or not. But since we're talking graphic design and aesthetics, I thought I'd mention a few things...

Here's some great web design:

http://www.wimdelvoye.be/

That ones more of a game than an actual practical website design.

Quote:
http://showstudio.com/

This one is a pretty decent and practical design.

Quote:
But you don't need to have the money or design chops to make something gorgeous which maximizes form and function. I built a simple website using Indexhibit. As a web design blog describes it, "Indexhibit is a simple to implement and easy to modify web platform (much like Wordpress) that is available for free from Indexhibit.org. It is totally open-source. The only stipulation of using it is that the site say “Built With Indexhibit” with a link back to the project site. While the standard layout and Indexhibit menu system is easy to use, Indexhibit themes are few (and not in the spirit of the project!). With a tiny amount of work, Indexhibit is highly customizable and very flexible."

The idea is not to use ready made themes---which really do make one's site look unprofessional blog---but customize your site using a few very versatile formats 'built in' to the platform or even better, learn from other participants how to produce a myriad of effects. Everyone who uses Indexhibit is extremely helpful and very cool about sharing their coding and layouts. My website is super simple: I'll be revamping it into something more fresh soon, but I'm a pushover for the minimalist and spartan aesthetic which seems to typify Indexhibit design.

swissmiss, an indispensable design blog, featured a more quick n' easy alternative to Indexhibit called Stacey. I may try this out when I redesign my site. I'm a total coding know-nothing, but I didn't find the basic HTML for Indexhibit at all difficult once I got my feet wet: plus everyone on the forum talked me through my noob issues so nicely. Still, I may try something different this time.

Ya, there are all kinds of things out there.

Quote:

Ya, too simple, generic, old style.
These kinds of sites are what websites looked like 15 years ago.
Very little structure, function, etc.

It's funny when I compare the Templates/Sites I've saved over the years, how they have changed, what looked good even just 10 years ago have so much more advanced now.

Quote:
Most people use Indexhibit for art portfolios or for their own graphic design work, but I've also seen sites built on this platform for businesses as well.

Ya, most of these platforms are pretty flexible to do whatever you want with them.

Thanks for adding your experience.