It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Definitive MADhouse Quote Page.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Mfbukowski explains that we can avoid problems about the truth value of a given claim by redefining "truth" so as to fit around one's predetermined beliefs.

mfbukowski wrote:
It's how I have raised my kids- it IS the "reality" of the situation I think, and they all understand the church that way- so far we are 4 for 4 in temple recommends, both who are married were sealed, and my one daughter just returned from her mission.

It works for me ;)

The key is not worrying about "what is true"- it is having a correct understanding of what "truth" IS. Then all the alleged "problems" go away. http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/568 ... ge__st__20

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:54 pm 
God

Darth J wrote:
Mfbukowski explains that we can avoid problems about the truth value of a given claim by redefining "truth" so as to fit around one's predetermined beliefs.

mfbukowski wrote:
It's how I have raised my kids- it IS the "reality" of the situation I think, and they all understand the church that way- so far we are 4 for 4 in temple recommends, both who are married were sealed, and my one daughter just returned from her mission.

It works for me ;)

The key is not worrying about "what is true"- it is having a correct understanding of what "truth" IS. Then all the alleged "problems" go away. http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/568 ... ge__st__20

I wonder if when MfBukowski stands up in fast and testimony meeting he says that he knows the church is "true" while making those air quote thingies just as the word "true" leaves his mouth.

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:13 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/568 ... 1209087371

Flyonthewall wrote:
I would say we would not want to attract apostates, but would want to attract the faithful...
We can most likely help those that have fallen away by simply continue being their freind, and be Christ-like to them.

Rarely do we give kudos to MADites but I give it for this (bolded) sentiment.

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:09 pm 
God

LeSellers: I object to the phrase "homeopathic quacks", especially if you are implying that homeopathy is quackery. It is not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:47 am 
God

Jeff K. wrote:
Non Mormons and anti Mormons are offended by anything and everything..... I personally feel very little compuction to be on their side in such matters since they either sincerely don't understand (which means they are allowing their ignorance to rule them), or they actively seek to hurt the church and its goals as mandated by God (meaning little more than malicious scum). Personally I wouldn't want to be in either of those camps.

So, everyone but Mormons are hyper-sensitive and easily offended, eh? But not Mormons, you say?

[ ] Story checks out
[X] OMGWTFLMAO

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 am 
God

Buffalo wrote:
Jeff K. wrote:
Non Mormons and anti Mormons are offended by anything and everything..... I personally feel very little compuction to be on their side in such matters since they either sincerely don't understand (which means they are allowing their ignorance to rule them), or they actively seek to hurt the church and its goals as mandated by God (meaning little more than malicious scum). Personally I wouldn't want to be in either of those camps.

So, everyone but Mormons are hyper-sensitive and easily offended, eh? But not Mormons, you say?

[ ] Story checks out
[X] OMGWTFLMAO

Of course - haven't you been following the news about the NMDL and the AMDL - non Mormons and anti Mormons recognise the need for a defence league to protect their feelings against .... wait, I just lost my train of thought there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:50 am 
God

wenglund wrote:
To me, what may be more important than whether you can choose to believe or not, is choosing who and what you wish to become and where you wish to go with your life, and then orienting and prioritizing your beliefs accordingly.

The mistake I see a lot of members make, is they place determining the "truth" of certain Church-related things high on their priority list, rather than, as the gospel is intended, putting becoming like Christ as main objective.

And, too often, they pursue the "truth" of matters that are not all that significant or relevant to becoming like Christ--like whether the Book of Mormon is historical or not.

Worse yet, they may use secular rather than spiritual methods to supposedly descern the "truth," putting their faith in man rather than in God, contrary to what God has proferred.

No wonder their faith in certain matters wanes. Spiritual faith can't be expected to continue to grow and thrive when a person takes their eye off the intended goal and pursue instead alternative objectives using methods not suited to obtaining the intended goal.

It is kind of like initaily deciding to head to the tops of the mountain, but along the way choosing instead to determine the "truth" of what may lay at the bottom of a nearby lake, and dawning a wetsuit, fins, and a snorkle in pursuit thereof, and then wondering why you aren't getting closer to the top of the mountain.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I think good old Wade gave away more than he intended to here.

There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:38 pm 
God

Spurven Ten Sing wrote:
LeSellers: I object to the phrase "homeopathic quacks", especially if you are implying that homeopathy is quackery. It is not.

I object to the phrase "homeopathic quacks" based on its redundancy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:48 pm 
God

cinepro wrote:
Spurven Ten Sing wrote:

I object to the phrase "homeopathic quacks" based on its redundancy.

"What do you call homeopathic medicine that has been proven effective?"

"Medicine"

"I consider them Christian not because of the church they go to on Sunday, but because of how they treat their fellow human beings." Ceeboo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:37 am 
God

wenglund wrote:
Jeff,

It helps to realize that:

1) Socially repelling people tend not to fare well in organizations they preceive as first and foremost social.

2) People who worship themselves as God, or who trust themselves over God, and look to themselves and man as the source of light and truth, tend not to fare well in churches where the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are God, and are the primary object of faith and the source of light and truth.

3) Dogmatist, with their fundamentalist, norrow-minded, and cemented notions of the "truth", tend not to fare well in religions open to new revelations and growth in faith and truth.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Wade's a goldmine for irony. He's one of the most dogmatic people I've encountered online. Especially hilarious was his comment about "religions open to new revelations." What religion would that be, Wade? Certainly not the LDS church. Revelation died with Brigham Young, and they reversed most of his revelations anyway.

I wonder how Wade's bizarre "lock & key" ideas would go down if he talked about them in his social organization?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:59 pm 
God

While not strictly a MAD quote, this section from a Paul Rolly column in the Salt Lake Tribune does help explain where President Boyd K. Packer is coming from in his stance on masturbation:

Quote:
I am reminded of a bill introduced in the House several years ago by former Democratic Rep. Frank Pignanelli.

That bill made it explicitly illegal to have sex with animals.

It was voted down in the House, with one representative stating, “Rep. Pignanelli just doesn’t understand the pressures on the farm in rural Utah.”

Seems masturbation is unfair both to wives and livestock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:22 pm 
Bell Ringer

moksha wrote:
Seems masturbation is unfair both to wives and livestock.

So true, Moksha. When I lived in Utah I remember many farm wives and ewes looking dejected. Now I understand why.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 am 
God

altersteve wrote:
Yes, exaltation is "earned" in a sense, but it is "earned" through the grace of Jesus Christ. Without Him, there is no salvation, period. The Church has always emphatically declared this.

Earned grace, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:35 pm 
God

In his explanation of Mormon truth, Buzzard says that President Monson is the only human on Earth who has the power to act in Gods name and speak in God's name for the whole Earth. Buzzard continues:

Buzzard wrote:
IMHO, if you don't believe that, you might as well be a Methodist. They are a lot cheaper, and from what I understand, have the best potlucks around.

Now that is what I call "Mormon truth".

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/57007-is-exclusive-truth-bad/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:43 pm 
God

Kevin Christensen wrote:
Call me when there is a radical change to: faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, Repentence of sins, baptism by immersion, receiving the Holy Spirit, and enduring to the end.

I guess Kevin just skips over the late Nauvoo/Brigham Young era of Mormonism.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:54 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

On a thread about alleged "Hebraisms" in the Book of Mormon, cdowis repeatedly outwits himself: http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/569 ... of-mormon/

Post #58:

cdowis wrote:
Parallelism is a flawed argument.

For example, I can provide proof that the Book of Mormon was written in the 20th century. There are clear references to the Teliban, for example, where we have terrorists with a standing army who flee to the mountains in the winderness, and pursuit by government troops. Who could miss the the references to the Mafia and their oaths, We see "TV preachers", references to Darwinisn, to the arguments of modern atheists.

The Book of Mormon is clearly a production of the 20th century, based on the argument of parallelism.

The burden is on yourself to prove that there are references only to the 19th century, and to no other post 19th century culture.

Unfortunately, everything that is touted to be evidence of the Book of Mormon's ancient origin consists of parallelism.

Post #70:

cdowis wrote:
This argument has been addressed previously. The problem is that one can prove ANYTHING given certain assumptions.

See, e.g., the collected works of FAIR and the Maxwell Institute.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 pm 
God

Daniel Peterson, on 02 March 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:
We don't know the reason for the ban.
Perhaps it was a mistake. In that case, we don't know why the Lord permitted it to endure until 1978.
If it wasn't a mistake, we still don't know the reason for it.

Frankenstein responded:
You are not stating the position of the church.
The Church stated the precise reason is not know. You are rewriting the Church statement with your personal statement.
If the ban wasn't a mistake then as stated by the Church the PRECISE reason is not known. (I have to use caps at the moment because I can not access the bold option)
The precise reason is not known and it is dishonest to use suggest anything contra to the Chief h position.

Daniel Peterson if the First Presidency and Apostles stated "not know precisely" why do you not present the Official position.

Some douche-bag Mod responded:
Frankenstein has left the building.
---------------------------------------
so frankenstein gets banned for pointing out that DCP is being dishonest about the position of the Church.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:54 pm 
God

3sheets2thewind wrote:
Daniel Peterson, on 02 March 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:
We don't know the reason for the ban.
Perhaps it was a mistake. In that case, we don't know why the Lord permitted it to endure until 1978.

Daniel C Peterson is not being truthful.

The Mormon church looked down on black people. The founding prophet even called one of the chief gods of Egypt a slave just because he was black.

So, BYU school teachers can take that and stuff it right up their lying prophet's ass. If I had a diploma from BYU, I'd burn the damn thing. BYU is an institution born of lies. Their Egyptology department is among the worst in the world. They can't even spell SHULEM! And the Mormon prophets can't even pretend to prophesy because they know they will be proven wrong later on. Par for the course!

Paul O

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:06 pm 
God

bcspace wrote:
What else would you expect from someone who uses the face of an infamous and self confessed sex predator for an avatar?

He's referring here to LDST's avatar of Harvey Milk. Harvey Milk is apparently a sex predator because he shagged a 14 year old youth. Come on, apologists. Those who live in glass houses and all that.

http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/26-He ... imball.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 am 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/571 ... g-numbers/

I'm not quoting anything specifically but would like to site the entire thread as an example of callous and smug behavior. Here they are having an entire discussion about the logistics of proxy temple for more than 100 billion people without ever having the meta discussion about the ethics of it. Are you kidding me?

Edits!
all right I was wrong I want to quote something. Here we go with the humble Zerinus speculating that there will be 100 million Mormons in 200 yrs (complete with his expert graph made with...MS paint that boldly and scientifically lets out the truth:

Zerinus wrote:
According to my projections of the graph found in that website, the total membership of the Church in 200 years from now is close to 100,000,000.

But wait! Someone double checked the math and we find out that Zerinus was being conservative:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/571 ... 1209099041

zerinus wrote:
When you're projecting growth, small changes make a big difference.

For example, let's look at things 200 years out and assume world population grows at 1%.

Right now, LDS makes up about 0.2% of the world or 1 of every 400 people in the world are LDS.

If LDS grows at 2.4%, in 200 years 1 in every 27 people will be LDS.
If church grows at 1.5%, in 200 years 1 in every 160 people will be LDS.
If church grows at 1%, in 200 years the same 1 in every 400 people.
If church grows at 0.5%, in 200 years 1 in 1,156 people will be LDS.

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/571 ... 1209099044

zerinus wrote:
I don't think so. The growth rate is actually exponential. I erred on the side of caution. The true figure in 200 years time is more likely to be close to 200,000,000, if past trends continue.

That's right sports fans! Not 100 million but approximately 200 million Mormons by 2212! Yes indeed!

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:22 pm 
God

robuchan wrote:

The issue is not why haven't we found any evidence. The question is why would we expect to find any evidence.

Mopologetic white flag.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 45  Next