It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The gnat-strainer prize.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:30 am 
Sunbeam

May I propose a prize, or at least a recognition to those who seem to trip over or hang up on some of the minor issues in this church? It could be an actual physical thing, such as a small bit of window screening. We could call it "The gnat-strainer Prize" (Matt. 23: 24), for those who let their faith be shaken by such trivia as Joseph Smith peeping into a stone in a hat, or President Uchtdorf claiming Guatemalans are children of Lehi. To save "Mormon Discussions" the trouble and expense of postage, we could just keep these bits of screen at your office, and those awarded the prize could drop by and pick them up. I'm sure they have lots of spare time on their hands. And, you know, you gotta think; did Christ use that metaphor because He knew there would be "gnats" arising, at least in the immature minds of those wrestling with the complexities of an eternal gospel?

Post subject: Re: The gnat-strainer prize.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 am 
God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:35 am 
God

LOL!

Please can you provide a list of issues you consider non gnat-straining?

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:37 am 
God

I would like to nominate Why Me's attempt to argue the "face just above the hat" vs "face in the hat" description for this prestigious award.

"I consider them Christian not because of the church they go to on Sunday, but because of how they treat their fellow human beings." Ceeboo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 am 
God

Drifting wrote:
LOL!

Please can you provide a list of issues you consider non gnat-straining?

I concur. We need a list of what are "minor" and major issues.

I would say that racism, sexism and unhealthy teachings on sexuality are major issues.

I would say that how many earrings a person wears and tattoo's are a minor issue.

What say you?

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 am 
Deacon

Major issues are Joseph Smith's polygamy, blood atonement, racial folklore, unhealthy teaching on sexuality, and Book of Abraham. Once a person gets bitter and decides they hate the church then they might have a tendancy to start straining at gnats just for entertainment but those are not the real issues in their minds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am 
God

Zelder wrote:
Major issues are Joseph Smith's polygamy, blood atonement, racial folklore, unhealthy teaching on sexuality, and Book of Abraham. Once a person gets bitter and decides they hate the church then they might have a tendancy to start straining at gnats just for entertainment but those are not the real issues in their minds.

I think this is pretty accurate, although I would throw out the word "bitter" and "hate." What also happens (in my mind anyway) is that some people go through a systematic breaking down of their belief system. So, whenever they come across another element to dissect it is one more straw on the camel's back, so to speak.

Death by a thousand cuts.

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:02 pm 
God

Is the Church's treatment of its own history and controversies helpful in overcoming gnat straining or does the whitewashing and obfuscation actually propagate it amongst members with questions?

For example. Members who 'gnat strain' on the subject of how the Church uses funds could be helped in overcoming this problem by simply publishing the facts. The fact that they don't encourages people to question why they don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:09 pm 
Deacon

just me wrote:
I think this is pretty accurate, although I would throw out the word "bitter" and "hate." What also happens (in my mind anyway) is that some people go through a systematic breaking down of their belief system. So, whenever they come across another element to dissect it is one more straw on the camel's back, so to speak.

Death by a thousand cuts.

That makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:14 pm 
God

I would like to nominate myself for this award for straining at the gnat of why it is that lengthy passages of the King James Version of the New Testament appear in the Book of Mormon.

This gnat is only slightly larger than the gnat of why lengthy passages of the King James Version of the Old Testament appear in the Book of Mormon.

In fact, this gnat is so big, it is approaching the size of an elephant.

An elephant that has taken up residence in the living room.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:17 pm 
God

consiglieri wrote:
I would like to nominate myself for this award for straining at the gnat of why it is that lengthy passages of the King James Version of the New Testament appear in the Book of Mormon.

This gnat is only slightly larger than the gnat of why lengthy passages of the King James Version of the Old Testament appear in the Book of Mormon.

In fact, this gnat is so big, it is approaching the size of an elephant.

An elephant that has taken up residence in the living room.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Then there's that deutero Isaiah gnat buzzing around...bzz...bzz...bzz...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:27 pm 
God

Would the relationship of the KEP to the Book of Abraham be a minor issue or major issue? I mean as in comparison to the scroll translation problems themselves.

"I consider them Christian not because of the church they go to on Sunday, but because of how they treat their fellow human beings." Ceeboo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:30 pm 
God

Would the attempt to distinguish between Joseph's Smith secular translations and sacred translations be a major issue or a minor one?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:31 pm 
God

Fence Sitter wrote:
I would like to nominate Why Me's attempt to argue the "face just above the hat" vs "face in the hat" description for this prestigious award.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 pm 
Sunbeam

OK, I'm the bozo who suggested the "gnat strainer" award. Gotta admit it does my ego good. In any event, to paraphrase Joseph Smith (on gnats vs. camels; my interpretation and application, not his): "Jesus Christ and His atonement and resurrection are the only important things in our religion. All other things are appendages to the gospel." The original quote was much better, and definitive, but darned if I know where it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 pm 
God

logjamislds wrote:
OK, I'm the bozo who suggested the "gnat strainer" award. Gotta admit it does my ego good. In any event, to paraphrase Joseph Smith (on gnats vs. camels; my interpretation and application, not his): "Jesus Christ and His atonement and resurrection are the only important things in our religion. All other things are appendages to the gospel." The original quote was much better, and definitive, but darned if I know where it is.

So the followings must, therefore, be unimportant in our religion:
Tithing
Word of Wisdom
Priesthood
Home Teaching
God
Joseph Smith
The Prophet
Temple ordinances
Three of the four years of Seminary study
Etc
Etc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
God

logjamislds wrote:

For being the most important part, it seems to have been unemphasized until quite recently.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
God

logjamislds wrote:

What is interesting is that I would never think that my appendages were unimportant. Without my arms I couldn't type this to you.

The appendages of the gospel are what make the LDS church the LDS church. And the LDS church claims to be led by Christ himself and be the One True and Living Church on the earth.

Sounds like the gnats are actually pretty important.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:51 pm 
God

just me wrote:

The gnats have devoured the camel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:57 pm 
God

consiglieri wrote:
just me wrote:

The gnats have devoured the camel.

OMG! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Lovely visual.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

logjamislds wrote:

Thus, since anything extraneous to that would be a "gnat," it can be discarded, making Mormonism in general and the LDS Church in particular entirely superfluous and unnecessary.

In other words, those who are believing Latter-day Saints are swallowing a camel. Those who no longer trouble themselves with all of the "appendages"---that being everything distinctive about the LDS Church---are more focused on what really matters and therefore closer to Christ.

Well done, logjamislds.