It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:34 pm 
CTR B

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm
Posts: 141
Image
Image from BYU-TV.


I ask this because he, Stan Ellsworth, is the host of a new show on BYU-TV called American Ride.


Where is the corporate shirt and tie man?

Give the known audience of BYU-TV is most likely 95% chapel mormon, is LDS Inc testing the waters of "telling" members to adopt a wider acceptance of members like this guy with long hair and a nappy ass beard?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:13 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:35 pm
Posts: 18169
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
Are all of the shows on BYU-TV produced by the church?

_________________
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:33 pm 
CTR B

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm
Posts: 141
harmony wrote:
Are all of the shows on BYU-TV produced by the church?

OMG

Does a bear s*** in the woods?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:25 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 am
Posts: 1422
hugh jass wrote:
harmony wrote:
Are all of the shows on BYU-TV produced by the church?

OMG

Does a bear s*** in the woods?


No, really, I've been noticing a change in programming (although I can't say I've exactly studied it, just like to click on stuff as I pass by once in a while). There is a lot less "church" stuff, the scriptural discussions and talks, etc., and more generic stuff like "dogs with jobs," and from whence that comes I have no idea. There is another show that highlights people doing good things in the world ... non-LDS people ... wine drinking people!!! ... and assumed it came from outside the church. If it was produced by the church, I'll be forced to give it credit for doing that :) I saw a preview for this American Rides show and assumed it was not produced by the church. I'll be interested to know, and to know if this gentleman is indeed a Mormon, and I'd have to admit it would surprise me if he were, and surprise me more if he's a member featured on BYU TV.

_________________
The person who is certain and who claims divine warrant for his certainty belongs now to the infancy of our species. Christopher Hitchens

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:35 pm
Posts: 18169
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
No, really, I've been noticing a change in programming (although I can't say I've exactly studied it, just like to click on stuff as I pass by once in a while). There is a lot less "church" stuff, the scriptural discussions and talks, etc., and more generic stuff like "dogs with jobs," and from whence that comes I have no idea. There is another show that highlights people doing good things in the world ... non-LDS people ... wine drinking people!!! ... and assumed it came from outside the church. If it was produced by the church, I'll be forced to give it credit for doing that :) I saw a preview for this American Rides show and assumed it was not produced by the church. I'll be interested to know, and to know if this gentleman is indeed a Mormon, and I'd have to admit it would surprise me if he were, and surprise me more if he's a member featured on BYU TV.


Exactly, Lucretia. It was a legit question and didn't deserve the answer it got.

_________________
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:35 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 6309
Location: The Orange House: The loft overlooking the garden
Uh, yes, he would.

_________________
not all facts are even facts~ldsfaqs
And if pigs flew we wouldn't usually eat pork.~ldsfaqs


~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:37 pm 
CTR B

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm
Posts: 141
harmony wrote:
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
No, really, I've been noticing a change in programming (although I can't say I've exactly studied it, just like to click on stuff as I pass by once in a while). There is a lot less "church" stuff, the scriptural discussions and talks, etc., and more generic stuff like "dogs with jobs," and from whence that comes I have no idea. There is another show that highlights people doing good things in the world ... non-LDS people ... wine drinking people!!! ... and assumed it came from outside the church. If it was produced by the church, I'll be forced to give it credit for doing that :) I saw a preview for this American Rides show and assumed it was not produced by the church. I'll be interested to know, and to know if this gentleman is indeed a Mormon, and I'd have to admit it would surprise me if he were, and surprise me more if he's a member featured on BYU TV.


Exactly, Lucretia. It was a legit question and didn't deserve the answer it got.

BYU-TV

B Y U Television

?? Of course all of their shows are produced by LDS Inc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:43 pm 
Actually, BYU TV is affiliated with PBS. It is the PBS station in Utah. Therefore, although a large bulk of programming is produced by the Church, not all of it is.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:44 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:35 pm
Posts: 18169
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
hugh jass wrote:
BYU-TV

B Y U Television

?? Of course all of their shows are produced by LDS Inc.


I'm not so sure.

Besides, of course he'd be welcomed. No one would deny him the opportunity to worship with the Saints, especially outside the Zion Curtain.

_________________
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:49 pm 
CTR B

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm
Posts: 141
liz3564 wrote:
Actually, BYU TV is affiliated with PBS. It is the PBS station in Utah. Therefore, although a large bulk of programming is produced by the Church, not all of it is.

Wrong.

KBYU11 is the PBS affiliate.

PBS is not listed under the affiliation section of byutv.org.

Quote:
Affiliates
Brigham Young University
BYU Athletics
LDS Church


Quote:
"While the network still offers some programming that focuses strongly on the Mormon faith, like a devotional service and performances from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on weekends, much of the new programming is focused on common bonds of faith and family that resonate with people of all religions," Tanklefsky wrote.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:55 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 am
Posts: 1422
hugh jass wrote:
BYU-TV

B Y U Television

?? Of course all of their shows are produced by LDS Inc.


Is this fact or opinion?

It appears to me that BYU-TV has become (or is in the process of becoming) a regular public tv channel, imitating format and programming, and (I would assume) sharing programming. Or maybe I've under an incorrect impression. I try not to assume that I'm always unilaterally and absolutely correct in my hasty assumptions.

Anyway, I've been looking around and discovered that Stan Ellsworth is a "Utah actor," but whether he is LDS or active LDS is yet to be known.

EDITED to add: If BYU-TV isn't affiliated with PBS, it is certainly trying to look like it is. I suspect there is more to the story here.

_________________
The person who is certain and who claims divine warrant for his certainty belongs now to the infancy of our species. Christopher Hitchens

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater


Last edited by Lucretia MacEvil on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:58 pm 
CTR B

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm
Posts: 141
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
If it was produced by the church, I'll be forced to give it credit for doing that :) I saw a preview for this American Rides show and assumed it was not produced by the church. I'll be interested to know, and to know if this gentleman is indeed a Mormon, and I'd have to admit it would surprise me if he were, and surprise me more if he's a member featured on BYU TV.

According to LDSFilm.com, he is a Mormon.
Quote:
Stan Ellsworth
Utah-based actor. Also known as: Stann Ellsworth. Bit part as a coach in the Disney TV movie "The Luck of the Irish" (2001). Uncredited guest appearance in an episode of "Touched by an Angel" in 2001, entitled "A Death in the Family."


My gut feeling as a former mormon tells me he is probably not an active mormon, given his appearance and demeanor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:58 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:35 pm
Posts: 18169
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
We had a guy who looked similiar to this gentleman in my ward, except he wore his hair in a ponytail.

He was a mechanic.

I wonder if this gentleman wears a white shirt and tie to church, like my mechanic ward member?

_________________
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:00 pm 
CTR B

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm
Posts: 141
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
It appears to me that BYU-TV has become (or is in the process of becoming) a regular public tv channel, imitating format and programming, and (I would assume) sharing programming. Or maybe I've under an incorrect impression. I try not to assume that I'm always unilaterally and absolutely correct in my hasty assumptions.

I am sure BYUTV is associated with the so called LDS missionary program(recruitment and retention department) of LDS Inc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:04 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 am
Posts: 1422
harmony wrote:
We had a guy who looked similiar to this gentleman in my ward, except he wore his hair in a ponytail.

He was a mechanic.

I wonder if this gentleman wears a white shirt and tie to church, like my mechanic ward member?


My BIL has been in a mid-life crisis long enough to grow a nice long ponytail. He's a biker dude too. I've wondered how he is received in church, but since I never go myself I guess I'll never know. He is as TBM as can be but has never been given a position of leadership of any consequence.

_________________
The person who is certain and who claims divine warrant for his certainty belongs now to the infancy of our species. Christopher Hitchens

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:07 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 am
Posts: 1422
hugh jass wrote:
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
It appears to me that BYU-TV has become (or is in the process of becoming) a regular public tv channel, imitating format and programming, and (I would assume) sharing programming. Or maybe I've under an incorrect impression. I try not to assume that I'm always unilaterally and absolutely correct in my hasty assumptions.

I am sure BYUTV is associated with the so called LDS missionary program(recruitment and retention department) of LDS Inc.


I'm sure you are right about that, but couldn't they be associated with PBS as well? If not, why are they copying PBS format?

_________________
The person who is certain and who claims divine warrant for his certainty belongs now to the infancy of our species. Christopher Hitchens

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:14 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 am
Posts: 1422
I listened to a bit of American Rides. Sounds good from historical perspective. Ellsworth was expounding on Thomas Paine's "Age of Reason" and how thoroughly it was ingrained in the average American's consciousness. Not exactly what the church would have you know when it comes to suggestions that many seemingly 19th Century ideas in the Book of Mormon came from that very book. Ha!

_________________
The person who is certain and who claims divine warrant for his certainty belongs now to the infancy of our species. Christopher Hitchens

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:44 pm 
CTR B

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm
Posts: 141
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
hugh jass wrote:
I am sure BYUTV is associated with the so called LDS missionary program(recruitment and retention department) of LDS Inc.


I'm sure you are right about that, but couldn't they be associated with PBS as well? If not, why are they copying PBS format?

Please read previous posts.

viewtopic.php?p=520702#p520702


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:43 am 
Nursery

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:23 pm
Posts: 1
Stan was in church last Sunday---I saw him there (we're in the same ward ... again ... which hasn't happened for about 30 years), dressed in a white shirt and tie (he sees clothes simply as the outward sign of inward feeling, and he his devout in his religious obligations, although his not overfond of formal wear, especially ties). Stan is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints---a Mormon, that is. (And he's a lot like I imagine the General was---Mormon, that is.) He is as you have seen him: a big man who loves his country and his freedom, and knows more about both than anyone else I know. And be careful: you may know people who condemn by appearance, but the Master does not: "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgement" (John 7:24). I don't know who led you to the hasty generalization that the Church rejects people for looking like Stan (Elijah, John the Baptist, Samson, Porter Rockwell ... folks like that)---such need to indulge in some serious introspection and repentance (I prefer the Greek metanoeo "change of mind" or the Hebrew shube "turn" or nacham "regret" to the harshness of the Latinate repent "[to subject to] harsh punishment"---of course, it doesn't mean that anymore: etymology is not definition ... but still). In any case, I do not, I dare not, judge anybody. And judging a man like Stan---or his devotion to his Liegelord, Jesus the Christ---based on his beard and demeanor is likely to be both inaccurate and embarrassing. He will likely not be offended: he's been misjudged hastily before, and he has very kindly corrected those who have misjudged him. As for American Ride, it is a direct outpouring of Stan-ness. He will teach anyone who will listen the intricacies of history, and his enthusiasm is pleasantly contagious. He will pull no punches, however, in his certain knowledge of Whose power it is "that has made and preserved us a nation."

Of course, he has been called a rebel: He always ate all the mashed potatoes, defeated the computer at the Annapolis Naval Academy in war games, taught me everything I know about World War II, and most of what I know about World War I, the Civil War, and the Revolution. He used to do calisthenics during commercial breaks, and practiced his sharpshooting down in the basement during halftimes. I watched him practice his blade work by tossing apples into the air and then cutting them in half as they fell. He taught me how to fire a shotgun, how to follow a football game (and baseball, and wrestling, and basketball), and how to serve a Mission. He speaks fluent French, is as strong as an ox, loves teaching history, loves his family fiercely, and has studied military strategy since he was about seven. He's as Mormon as Mormon was himself, probably, and I'd follow either of them into battle anytime, anywhere.

But that's what we little brothers do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:55 am 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 am
Posts: 7306
He'd be welcome in our ward but we wouldn't let him pass the Sacrament with hair and beard like that.

'We' = Ward Leadership.

Personally I don't give a monkey's either way.

_________________
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Would this man be welcomed into a typical LDS ward?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:38 pm
Posts: 3388
I've watched Bonanza on BYU-TV. So it does have some good shows.

_________________
"The truth is not uplifting; it destroys." - Boyd K. Packer

"Religion is like a penis. Its fine to have one, its fine to be proud of it; But please refrain from whipping it out in public and shoving it down people's throats." - Anonymous


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aussieguy55, DarkHelmet, Google [Bot], grindael, Juggler Vain, RockSlider, suniluni2, Yahoo [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group