It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Even more off topic: Mormonism and the arts
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:16 am 
God

Still, something tells me that this list is either unlikely to be our Daniel Peterson's, or his list contains items he might like to get for other people.

Edited to remove personal details.

Last edited by asbestosman on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mormonism and the arts
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:30 am 
Seething Cauldron of Hate

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Actually, no, Dr. Peterson. I never would have pegged you as a fan of Grand Theft Auto 3, though I suppose you deserve credit for branching out. Regardless, I'm curious as to how much enjoyment you took in using your sniper rifle to blow the heads off the members of the Salvatore crime family. Also: did you use your rocket launcher to take out a police car?

http://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Peterson/w ... h_all_itms

Good grief, Scratch. Really. Seriously. Is there absolutely no limit to your bizarre obsession with me?

You're now searching for information about me on amazon.com?

Is there no end to the creepiness?

I didn't even know that the "wish list" existed, to which you provide a link, but one glance was enough to tell me whose it was. It belongs to my youngest son, who was and is fascinated by film.

I've spoken with him about it, and he dimly remembers it. He generated it probably seven to ten years ago. Almost certainly before he could drive. Which is why he was using my name; he didn't have a credit card. (He never got Grand Theft Auto 3, by the way.)

He's married now. He and his brother and I are perfectly astonished -- and, frankly, weirded out -- that some anonymous internet stranger would be so fixated on me as to be combing amazon.com for information to use against me on a message board.

Looking for wish lists? Dragging my kids' old youthful video game preferences into your five-year-old crusade against me?

I used to joke from time to time, back when we were only a year or two into the public phase of your insanely intense fascination with me, about taking lemonade out to you on a hot day while you were rifling through the contents of my trash. But, joking aside, tracking "me" on amazon.com -- and wherever else you've been pursuing me on and off line -- isn't fundamentally different, is it?, from sorting through my garbage.

When I think of you, I'm glad I have a shredder.

You're beyond weird.

Very seriously: Get help.

And leave my children alone.

http://mormonscholarstestify.org
http://mormonscholarstestify.org/category/testimonies

I quote dead people.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:37 am 
Valiant A

Your attempts to make scratch sound weird are sort of pathetic daniel. It takes very little time to type "site:amazon.com daniel peterson" into google, and if it provides good material to troll you with, then it is okay in my book. Doctor scratch isn't spending hours looking at things you written just so he can try and make you look foolish.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:53 am 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Oh, Dr. Peterson. Look: I apologize if you were upset about that. You yourself invited me at one point to go and look at your Amazon.com profile. It was in the midst of a discussion about your commissioning that music piece, IIRC, and you wanted me to read your product reviews. (You were pretty rough on poor Branford Marsalis, btw.) And let's face it: the thought of you playing Grand Theft Auto 3 could have scored you some serious hipster credibility. I'm a little disappointed to learn that this never happened. I mean, think about it: Dr. Peterson, navigating a tank through the streets of Liberty City? Now that is an image that even I could treasure.

Lol.

Finally, maybe it will make you feel somewhat less "creeped out" to know that I wasn't actually the one who went and found the link. As I said, it was sent to me via PM. I can take a screenshot of it and post it if it would make you feel better. (Though I'm going to black out the sender's name if I do that.)

But don't feel bad, Dan. It's all fun and games until Dr. Peterson gets "creeped out."

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:55 am 

[Personal attacks deleted by mod Scottie]

I quote dead people.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:01 am 

Daniel Peterson wrote:
You're a loon, Scratch.

I genuinely believe that you're mentally or emotionally disturbed.

Oh, come on, now. That's not very nice.

And in any case, we should try to get the thread back on-topic.

So, what are your favorite Mormon novels, Dr. Peterson?

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Post subject: Continued off topic: Mormonism and the arts
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:29 am 
God

Daniel Peterson wrote:
You're a loon, Scratch.

I genuinely believe that you're mentally or emotionally disturbed.

Hello Moderators,

How many endless personal attacks does Mr. Peterson get to have? Why aren't his personal attacks either deleted or his posts moved to the Telestial forum. You'd think with all the handwringing you'd do what you say you'd do, but here we are... He's a protected poster slinging mud. Weird.

V/R
Dr. Cameron

www.cesletter.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:51 am 
God

So far as I can see, it is a mutual activity between the two of you. Go ahead if that is what you enjoy.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:19 pm 

MCB wrote:
So far as I can see, it is a mutual activity between the two of you. Go ahead if that is what you enjoy.

The assymetry should be obvious, even to you.

Scratch is anonymous. I'm not.

Scratch initiated all this. I didn't.

Scratch attacks me. I defend myself. (I can't attack him, for that matter. He's anonymous.)

Scratch ranges the Internet and beyond, looking for dirt about me, or for material that he can spin as dirt. I don't. (I can't. He's anonymous.)

He's been doing this for five full years. Half a decade. Virtually every day. Rarely missing a week. Probably never missing a month.

On a much more trivial level, your reaction (and that of a few others here) reminds me of the notion, prevalent in some leftist circles during the Cold War, of a "moral equivalence" between the West and the Communist Bloc. The pose was sometimes assumed, or so it seemed to me, as a way of signaling one's purported sophistication and one's jaded superiority to such simplistic notions as that Roosevelt and Churchill were better men than Stalin and Mao. All it really demonstrated, though, in my opinion, was some combination or other of ignorance and moral obtuseness.

P.S. Quasimodo and Buffalo, you see how this thread has gone. And it was completely predictable. My principal reservation about trying to engage in a substantive discussion on this topic here goes far beyond Scratch, but I'm not even slightly surprised at his participation here, nor at its nature. (I won't even answer his question about my "favorite Mormon novels." I can pretty well guarantee you that it wouldn't be what he expects it to be, but there seems no real point in my even attempting genuine conversation on such things here. Best wishes to you.)

I quote dead people.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:45 pm 

Dan, get out of the thread. The adults are trying to have a conversation. Take your wounded pride and your martyr complex back to MDD where all the supplicants will lick your injuries for you.

Meanwhile:

Quasi---

Have you ever been to the Gilgal Gardens? This seems to me a pretty clear example of Mormon art (and I happen to think it's pretty darn cool). I'm curious what you think...

www.gilgalgarden.org/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 pm 

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Dan, get out of the thread. The adults are trying to have a conversation. Take your wounded pride and your martyr complex back to MDD where all the supplicants will lick your injuries for you.

The thread is yours.

I quote dead people.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 pm 
God

Daniel Peterson

Quote:
The assymetry should be obvious, even to you.

Scratch is anonymous. I'm not.

What would be different if you knew who Scratch was?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:59 pm 

Jersey Girl wrote:
What would be different if you knew who Scratch was?

My personally knowing who Scratch is wouldn't make a great deal of difference. I don't actually care that much.

But it does seem to me plainly wrong for somebody on a message board to anonymously defame another participant on the board by name. It's certainly, as I say, assymetrical.

I cannot damage his public reputation. (I have no particular desire to do so, but that's another matter.) He, by contrast, is seeking to damage mine. Moreover, he can do it, and perhaps, in some quarters, he actually has.

I don't object, overall, to posting anonymously or under pseudonyms. That's fine.

But it seems to me cowardly, unfair, and otherwise objectionable to hide one's identity while relentlessly and personally attacking someone else, by name, in a public forum. And the longer such behavior continues -- five years, in this case -- the more obvious and flagrant the unfairness and cowardice become. Such anonymity seems to license or shield unethical behavior, spare the accuser even the most minimal consequences of baseless accusations, and free the attacker to behave in very bad ways without accountability.

I quote dead people.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:21 pm 
God

Daniel Peterson wrote:

Scratch attacks me. I defend myself. (I can't attack him, for that matter. He's anonymous.)

That's just not true. You attack him every time you call his mental health status into question.

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=473079#p473079

Daniel Peterson wrote:
Wow. Given a million years, continued treatment, and really good luck, you could someday become a minimally reasonable person to interact with.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:29 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Hello,

What kind of egomaniac commissions a painting of one's self and one's family?

Sheesh.

V/R
Dr. Cameron

Me. Why wouldn't I? I have several paintings in my home, all of them originals, some of them quite valuable. I don't see why this is an issue. Should I apologize to all and sundry because I value real paintings?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:30 pm 
God

Daniel Peterson
Quote:
Scratch ranges the Internet and beyond, looking for dirt about me, or for material that he can spin as dirt. I don't. (I can't. He's anonymous.)

If he weren't anonymous, would you do the same to him?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:42 pm 

I do seriously believe that Scratch is unhinged (to use a non-technical term for the case). But, no, I have no interest in tracking him across amazon.com, and the like.

Still, feel free -- I'm confident that you will -- to criticize me and to ignore his actions here on this thread and elsewhere over the past half decade.

We should, though, probably get out of Scratch's thread.

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
Seriously Daniel?

Seriously. The musical compositions -- actually, now that I think about it, there have been three -- were serious pieces of a distinctly modern kind written by a classically-trained academic composer, a Latter-day Saint, who holds a Ph.D. in composition from a university on the American east coast.

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
So you paid to have a couple of paintings done and have a song written for your family,

No "song" for my family. One of the pieces was a setting of an ancient Egyptian poem, in Egyptian, and the other two were instrumental (e.g., one was for cello and piano, for public performance in concert by a specific professional cellist whom we know).

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
AND this explains how involved mormonism is to the wide world of art?

No, this makes the point that my wife and are seriously involved in the visual arts and in music, including with Latter-day Saint instrumentalists, composers, and painters. To the tune of, relative to our fairly modest income, a considerable amount of money. (Commission is the term that is used in such cases.)

Which is to say that, were this thread not restricted to adults such as Scratch and Doctor CamNC4Me, I would find it quite interesting, and would very likely have something to say.

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
I will assume the paintings were of family or children?

They were not.

But notice how quickly your assumption becomes Doctor CamNC4Me's certainty:

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
What kind of egomaniac commissions a painting of one's self and one's family?

Sheesh.

The answer is, of course, that lots of people commission such paintings. Portraiture is one of the largest areas of painting, as anybody even minimally versed in the history of art would know. And it continues to be such, even since the rise of photography. There is nothing whatever wrong with it.

But I did not. We have commissioned no paintings of ourselves and/or of our family.

I quote dead people.

Post subject: Re: Continued off topic: Mormonism and the arts
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:52 pm 
God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh2rc8KC ... re=related

www.cesletter.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:56 pm 
God

Daniel Peterson
Quote:
I do seriously believe that Scratch is unhinged (to use a non-technical term for the case). But, no, I have no interest in tracking him across amazon.com, and the like.

Still, feel free -- I'm confident that you will -- to criticize me and to ignore his actions here on this thread and elsewhere over the past half decade.

Is the above a response to my posts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:58 pm 

Jersey Girl wrote:
Is the above a response to my posts?

Yes, it is.

I quote dead people.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:04 pm 
God

Daniel Peterson
Quote:

Where have I criticized you in these exchanges? Please re-post my criticisms.