It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schryver
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:38 am 
God

Tarski wrote:
Will is here and under this particular knife, again, because of his work in the apologetic arena, with particular emphasis on his BofA arguments and ongoing challenge to the BofA's critics.

Quote:
Rubbish. (Are you ever right about anything? Anything?)

I'm sure you wish, very, very much, that it were.

Quote:
No one is accusing Nibley of misogyny.

No. Nibley was accused of being a pedophile and of engaging in bizarre sexual activities with his own daughter. That received a great deal of traction here, and was defended staunchly (irregardless of its utter lack of plausibility) by some of the very same people now baying for Will's blood.

Quote:
No one is accusing Hamblin of misogyny.
Why?

How many times have Hamblin, Gee, Rhodes et al been called liars, frauds, intellectual hacks, and mindless sycophants of the Brethren in this forum?

Quote:
If it were some sort of misguided reaction to apologetic particulars then why don't we see personal attacks on these men of the sort Will has earned?

I've been seeing them for years here, and for the same reason - they're competent scholars and effective apologists, and they've had a number of people here feeling threatened and cornered for a long time.
Quote:
The apologetic arguments as such are not at issue here and are trivial in this context.

Yes they are. This entire exercise is a diversion, just as are all the attacks on Daniel, Nibley, Gee, bc, me, or anyone else who defends the Church here effectively and consistently. Will's intermittent colorful personal hardballs thrown at various characters here are a red herring, and nothing more. I need do little more than look at beastie's attempts at the very same smear with me, even though lacking literally anything with which to substantiate her claims, to see the pattern.

Quote:
I know Dan Peterson has not weighed in here (and who could expect it?) but I have some indication from him about his attitude about a couple things.

I hope very much he will forgive me for saying this but he has indicated to me that while he thinks Will is intelligent and that his theories are perhaps a bit better than the critics realize, he does not appreciate Will's descents in the realm of the vulgar and does not understand it at all.

While I'm not going to take your word here for what DCP thinks on anything, I will say that I agree with him that Will should work on other ways of expressing himself when he feels the need arises. I doubt - highly - that Daniel has labeled Will as a misogynist.

That's at another level, and that is where this thread began.

Quote:
He also has indicated that Beastie is a mostly reasonable and certainly intelligent person (except perhaps, in his view when she seems to give some credence to the theories of Mr. Scratch.)

I think Beastie is typical of the contemporary western pseudo-intellectual; a person, very much like Scratch, with a very good grasp of the English language and who can manipulate and deploy words effectively, but without the philosophical depth, imagination, or creativity that is mark of the true "intellectual," which, for me at least, is not merely a clever and sophisticated wordsmith, or even a sophisticated thinker (mere complexity of thought is not enough, and can mask intellectual shallowness and even guile) but a truly serious, deep - and self honest - thinker. She has a large background of education and knowledge that could be of value to her and others, but which has been deployed in a fervent fight against truth. I say "pseudo" also because I've found Beastie's arguments, over as many years, to be fraught with a consistent penchant with playing fast and loose with facts and the statements of others.

There is a deep tendentiousness to much of what she writes that is quite noticeable to others not beholden to her particular agenda.

Quote:
So apparently, our Dr. Peterson, who we might expect to remain partisan just cannot admire Will's antics and certainly cannot be found describing Beastie as repulsive. In fact, I have a hard time imagining him describing anyone in those terms. I fully expect that the best of the apologists, those who take their actual religion seriously, cannot endorse this or many other of Will's obnoxious traits.

But, as I've shown, they're only obnoxious because their Will's. For some reason, the obnoxiousness sticks only to him, and not to the flaming, juvenile internet punks here, many of whom have long made up a significant section of the major posters on this board.

Quote:
For my part I am extremely offended that Beastie or Harmony should be called repulsive.

Beastie is repulsive because she has stood out here as a stubborn character assassin of the same caliber as Scratch. I know because she has attempted it with me, an attempt which I took to be extremely serious at the time, given its subject matter.

Harmony is veritably one of the wolves within the flock so eloquently elucidated in the scriptures as a feature of the Latter Days, and which, when once encountered, can never be forgotten. It is probably the fact that she continues her pose and her pretense with such brazen, self righteous conceit that grates, not so much what she says about any given subject.

Its one reason I have not engaged her here in probably well over a year or more, having finially given up. My few words to her recently are the first in a very long time.

Quote:
It angers me almost more than anything I have heard from Will. These are fine women who just refuse to be submissive in Will's presence (and really, why should they or any woman?)

Perhaps they are, in some sense I'm not aware of. However, in those senses of which I am aware, I find both of them rather unlikeable.

Quote:
The fact that even now Droopy can only be found defending this crap shows how insanely partisan he is (as if we didn't know that already). Shame on you Droopy. Shame.

What have I defended, pray tell?

Quote:
PS. Please stop saying unalloyed and unreconstructed so many times. Why aren't you smart enough to realize what an embarrassing impression you give with these little phrases? These aren't big words, nor are they examples of eloquence. Instead it comes across as a lame affectation of some sort.

Try licking some cupcakes Tarski. It might take the edge off.

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:52 am 
God

MsJack wrote:
You really don't get it, William. You aren't the first apologist to try and cow me into taking or not taking a certain course of action with vague whispers about how disappointing I am or how I'm about to tarnish my reputation. Thus far, you're the third, and you are by far the smallest fish to try that ploy.

What can I tell you. It just gets less and less intimidating every time I hear it.

Hello Ms. Jack,

Unfortunately, Mr. Schryver has betrayed himself:

search.php?keywords=danite&terms=all&author=William+Schryver&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Here we have a man who "in jest" wishes death upon apostates, and makes aggressive & sexually tinged derogatory remarks toward women with whom he disagrees. Whatever persona he maintains in his real life, I believe he lets the mask fall when he's online. I truly believe this man is in need of the repentance process, which includes making amends to the people he has offended in a humble and permanent manner. If he does that I believe he'll be a better man, and a better representative of his faith. We'll see.

V/R
Dr. Cam

www.cesletter.com

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:11 am 
2nd Counselor

Eric wrote:
Isn't the C-word already censored on this board when you type it out? So harmony supposedly edited a 'C' followed by three asterisks from Will's post and then threatened to suspend him for it? That seems a little strange to me...

Notwithstanding our differences on most things, Eric once again provides evidence for why I respect him more than just about any other man who posts on this message board. He will not be beholden to any kind of "group think" behavior. Maybe his resistance to that kind of thing arises out of his Boys Ranch experience. Maybe it's just part of who he is. But you have to tip your hat to a man who is willing to stand up and highlight the obvious, even as the prevailing mob atmosphere suppresses such impulses in everyone else around him. Here's a man who doesn't pause to count the cost before he stands to speak the truth as he sees it. That, in my book, is a man worthy of attention, and a man most likely destined to make his mark in life, while the spineless crowd from which he rises cowers in the smoldering shame of their own mediocrity.

At any rate, your trenchant observation had previously eluded me, but is 100% correct. Had I, in reality, used the "C" word in a sentence, the board software would have censored it, leaving a "c" followed by three asterisks--meaning, of course, that no one ever saw the "C" word in a post I made. This entire charade has been an exercise in the principle that:

Quote:
... it is no sin to lie that they may catch a man in a lie, that they may destroy him.

Anyway, in my absence from the board, I see several new pages have been produced. I can't hope to read it all, but I'll scan through the posts of Blair "More Holier Than Thou" Hodges*, MsJack, and perhaps even Doctor Scratch. I'm sure I can come up with a little something to say in their behalf.

* = Not a phrase of my own invention; I've merely adopted it. It has only temporarily replaced "Blair 'The Future of Mopologetics' Hodges" in popularity. You know, upon reflection, it occurs to me that it's far better to be mocked in public and respected in private than respected in public and mocked in private. But I'm kind of funny that way ...

I thought myself the wiser to have viewed the evidence left of such a great demise. I followed every step. But the only thing I ever learned before the journey's end was there was nothing there to learn, only something to forget.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:19 am 
God

TEST

c***

Peace,
Ceeboo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:20 am 
God

Ceeboo wrote:
TEST

c***

Peace,
Ceeboo

Hmmmmmmmmm??????????

Peace,
Ceeboo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:24 am 
God

Ceeboo wrote:
TEST
c***

Test
c ***
cu **
cun *
c * * * *

as suspected all required editing to put in the splat. Dang and I'm not even a KEP encryption expert.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:29 am 
High Priest

Ceeboo wrote:
TEST

c***

Peace,
Ceeboo

I tried the same thing! (I just did Preview, though.)

It is an interesting observation, but I would like some clarification from those who actually saw it. What did you see? It is possible that the c-word may have been added to a filter after this incident, or it could be that they saw c***. If what they saw was c***, it still would have been pretty clear from context that the c-word was intended. So this hardly gets Will off the hook. (Or maybe Will can explain what was intended by c***.)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:40 am 
God

can't
cent
cint
cont
c***

It doesn't take a genius to figure out which word the program edits out, since it leaves all the others.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:44 am 
God

Why does Will refuse to tell us what it was Harmony edited out?

Like we don't already know.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:52 am 
2nd Counselor

harmony wrote:
can't
cent
cint
cont
c***

It doesn't take a genius to figure out which word the program edits out, since it leaves all the others.

LOL!

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that your fabricated little story is unraveling.

Like any kid caught in a lie of complete manufacture (as opposed to a lie of minor embellishment), you've invested so much of your credibility in this tale that you're going to have to see it through to the bitter end, for better or worse.

I confess I'm looking forward to your continued public discomfiture.

We'll explore how this all reflects on "MsJack" in a subsequent post ...

I thought myself the wiser to have viewed the evidence left of such a great demise. I followed every step. But the only thing I ever learned before the journey's end was there was nothing there to learn, only something to forget.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:57 am 
2nd Counselor

Kevin Graham wrote:

He doesn't.

He has done so.

Twice already.

viewtopic.php?p=449642#p449642

viewtopic.php?p=449684#p449684

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:00 am 
God

Will Schryver wrote:
Eric wrote:
Isn't the C-word already censored on this board when you type it out? So harmony supposedly edited a 'C' followed by three asterisks from Will's post and then threatened to suspend him for it? That seems a little strange to me...

Notwithstanding our differences on most things, Eric once again provides evidence for why I respect him more than just about any other man who posts on this message board. He will not be beholden to any kind of "group think" behavior. Maybe his resistance to that kind of thing arises out of his Boys Ranch experience. Maybe it's just part of who he is. But you have to tip your hat to a man who is willing to stand up and highlight the obvious, even as the prevailing mob atmosphere suppresses such impulses in everyone else around him. Here's a man who doesn't pause to count the cost before he stands to speak the truth as he sees it. That, in my book, is a man worthy of attention, and a man most likely destined to make his mark in life, while the spineless crowd from which he rises cowers in the smoldering shame of their own mediocrity.

At any rate, your trenchant observation had previously eluded me, but is 100% correct. Had I, in reality, used the "C" word in a sentence, the board software would have censored it, leaving a "c" followed by three asterisks--meaning, of course, that no one ever saw the "C" word in a post I made. This entire charade has been an exercise in the principle that:

Quote:
... it is no sin to lie that they may catch a man in a lie, that they may destroy him.

Anyway, in my absence from the board, I see several new pages have been produced. I can't hope to read it all, but I'll scan through the posts of Blair "More Holier Than Thou" Hodges*, MsJack, and perhaps even Doctor Scratch. I'm sure I can come up with a little something to say in their behalf.

* = Not a phrase of my own invention; I've merely adopted it. It has only temporarily replaced "Blair 'The Future of Mopologetics' Hodges" in popularity. You know, upon reflection, it occurs to me that it's far better to be mocked in public and respected in private than respected in public and mocked in private. But I'm kind of funny that way ...

Even without the C-word, we have you on record sexually harassing women. You've lost the war, but you're still trying to take this little hill.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:03 am 
harmony wrote:
can't
cent
cint
cont
c***

What if Will typed in the asterisks himself?

Edit: Will, you're a d***!

(that's dork, of course)

Last edited by Simon Belmont on Tue May 03, 2011 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:04 am 
God

Will Schryver wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:

He doesn't.

He has done so.

Twice already.

viewtopic.php?p=449642#p449642

viewtopic.php?p=449684#p449684

Two conflicting stories. Which of them is true?

There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:06 am 
High Priest

Will Schryver wrote:
harmony wrote:
can't
cent
cint
cont
c***

LOL!

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that your fabricated little story is unraveling.

Like any kid caught in a lie of complete manufacture (as opposed to a lie of minor embellishment), you've invested so much of your credibility in this tale that you're going to have to see it through to the bitter end, for better or worse.

I confess I'm looking forward to your continued public discomfiture.

We'll explore how this all reflects on "MsJack" in a subsequent post ...

So is it now your claim that you actually typed c*** but intended some other word?

Yes, there is some definite unraveling going on here. On that I agree.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:11 am 
God

So according to Will, instead of using the C-word, what he actually said to Harmony was that she was "A despicable hypocrite and a shame to the Saints."

Seriously?

We're supposed to believe this rather innocuous statement (by comparison to his other stuff) resulted in the numerous knee-jerk responses?

We're supposed to believe this rather innocuous statement (by comparison to his other stuff) prompted Harmony to immediately edit it out?

We're supposed to believe that Will actually remembers what he wrote back then, especially when every time we bring up an earlier citation he informs us that he totally forgot saying it? This is the same guy who just recently swore up and down that he never called Emma Smith a bitch. I mean that isn't quite something you forget, but Will denied saying it. Then he was forced to admit saying it after a link was provided. So he forgets one word profanities, but remembers a nine word phrase to the letter!?

As I have said before, Will is going to lie if he thinks he can get away with it. He does this every time. But just because the citation was removed, doesn't mean there is no smoking gun. All the evidence suggests rather strongly that he said something that was more disgusting than heis other comments, and "despicable hypocrite and a shame to the Saints" just make any sense. Harmony wouldn;t have edited that out, and I and the other folks certainly wouldn't have responded the way we did.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 am 
2nd Counselor

Simon Belmont wrote:
What if Will typed in the asterisks himself?

Will did nothing of the sort.

Will never even said anything remotely related to the allegations being leveled against him.

Will never even contemplated saying anything remotely related to the allegations being leveled against him.

As I have made perfectly clear several times in this thread:

Quote:
I have never in my life used the "C" word, in public or private. I consider it one of the very few "taboo" words in the English language. I am offended by anyone who would use it, and would forcefully upbraid anyone using the word in my presence.

viewtopic.php?p=449929#p449929

harmony is lying through her teeth--and she knows it.
MsJack is complicit in this lie.
MrStakO'IntellectLite is a suborned witness.
Scurvy Ten Sing is a suborned witness.

Still waiting to hear (with ever decreasing expectation of it ever happening) from Rollo Tomasi and DarthJ, who were the most involved critics in the Hofmann thread in question, and who posted both immediately before and after the alleged incident. When and if they emerge from the shadows, will they or will they not join the suborned witness club? Or will they merely remain silent, for fear of offending the tribe?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 am 
2nd Counselor

Dad of a Mormon wrote:
So is it now your claim that you actually typed c*** but intended some other word?

I know it is a mighty challenge for one of your rather limited capacities, but please try to keep up ...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:15 am 
High Priest

Will Schryver wrote:
Dad of a Mormon wrote:

I know it is a mighty challenge for one of your rather limited capacities, but please try to keep up ...

Are you SERIOUSLY so deluded that you think there is anyone that believes your story? REALLY?

YOU are the one who tried unsuccessfully to make the asterisks an issue. It was a transparently desperate attempt, but I guess it is all that you've got.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:18 am 
God

Will Schryver wrote:
Will never even said anything remotely related to the allegations being leveled against him.

Will never even contemplated saying anything remotely related to the allegations being leveled against him.

Just like Will never called Emma a b****.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:41 am 
God

Will Schryver wrote:
You know, upon reflection, it occurs to me that it's far better to be mocked in public and respected in private than respected in public and mocked in private. But I'm kind of funny that way ...

I guess this quote is as good as any in response to harmony, who seems to think I haven't been bullied by Will. It's his MO if he doesn't like you.

Is anyone interested in just ignoring him? I get the feeling some people must enjoy the attention. Or maybe people think things will change. After all this time is it worth waiting for an apology from a stranger on the internet? Why not move on?

starts for the dawn of nothing; Oh, make haste!

-Omar Khayaam

*Be on the lookout for the forthcoming album from Jiminy Finn and the Moneydiggers.*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 77  Next