It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Defense of Will Schryver
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:56 pm 
Regional Representative

Will Schryver wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:
I can tell you that I have been contacted out of the blue by no less than three people who actively participate on the MAD apologetics board, and they are faithful LDS who express serious concerns with not only Will Schryver's mannerisms, but also his apologetic arguments dealing with the KEP. To quote one concerned member, "I am even more concerned that the Maxwell Institute is even considering his work for publication (I have a lot of respect for Paul Hoskisson), and publication would only hurt their cause and reputation in the academic community."

Mmmmm ... I wonder who the author of this quote might be?

No doubt someone the denizens of the GSTP hold in high esteem.

I'm reminded again of Joe Walsh's sage observation:
Quote:
"You can only judge the distance by the company you keep."

Despite the fact that I would not be ashamed to keep company with Kevin Graham, for the record, I have never discussed the KEP with him in public or "behind the scenes." Apparently, Will, there is another believer who has questioned your conclusions. Me, I want nothing to do with the whole affair and that is the honest truth.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 pm 
Holy Ghost

Hello Will,

I am more interested in the substantive discussions. In that spirit what scriptural or modern day prophetic voice do you rely on for your beliefs and attitudes towards "apostates". You obviously feel very strongly that your position is correct in this regard I am curious as to the exegetical reasoning of the authority you rely on?

my regards, mikwut

All communication relies, to a noticeable extent on evoking knowledge that we cannot tell, all our knowledge of mental processes, like feelings or conscious intellectual activities, is based on a knowledge which we cannot tell.
-Michael Polanyi

"Why are you afraid, have you still no faith?" Mark 4:40

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm 
God

Enuma Elish wrote:
I have never discussed the KEP with him in public or "behind the scenes." Apparently, Will, there is another believer who has questioned your conclusions.

Must be Sam Brown or Don Bradley, then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:22 pm 
God

asbestosman wrote:
I wonder if that's not the reason Will behaves as he does--to get others to either bow out of discussions or simply to distract them from the main issue.

It really doesn't matter. I'm neither distracted nor intimidated, but I have no interest in responding to his silly accusations. Life's too short.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:24 pm 
High Priest

Will assumes that the only people who would dare question his "scholarship" are apostate lovers, thus explaining his ill-advised email to DCP.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:27 pm 
God

mikwut wrote:
Hello Will,

I am more interested in the substantive discussions. In that spirit what scriptural or modern day prophetic voice do you rely on for your beliefs and attitudes towards "apostates". You obviously feel very strongly that your position is correct in this regard I am curious as to the exegetical reasoning of the authority you rely on?

my regards, mikwut

Don't expect a response. He has nothing to hang his hat on save his own preferred agenda. In fact as I noted the scriptures and teachings by the GAs from the Church he attempts to defend condemn his behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm 
God

Edit: This is better catalogued on the other thread...

www.cesletter.com

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 pm 
God

The person who sent me his/her concerns is someone I'd never heard of before, and I doubt anyone on this forum knows of him/her either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 pm 
Holy Ghost

Thank Jason,

I recall a conversation sometime back with Will, he analogized his treatment of doubters and apostates as one would treat someone near falling off a cliff, the need for yelling and emphatically emphasizing the direness of the situation was why his approach was appropriate but I couldn't recall any substantive authority for it. I would be interested in a substantive reply. Hope your well.

regards, mikwut

All communication relies, to a noticeable extent on evoking knowledge that we cannot tell, all our knowledge of mental processes, like feelings or conscious intellectual activities, is based on a knowledge which we cannot tell.
-Michael Polanyi

"Why are you afraid, have you still no faith?" Mark 4:40

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:35 pm 
God

Dan is notorious for engaging in only the threads where he thinks he can score a point of some sort. He only picks the battles he only knows he can win, and stays silent on the rest. I think he is smart enough to know that he could never win by defending the character of William Schryver on a public forum. Not given the overwhelming amount of evidences presented here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:35 pm 
God

mikwut wrote:
Thank Jason,

I recall a conversation sometime back with Will, he analogized his treatment of doubters and apostates as one would treat someone near falling off a cliff, the need for yelling and emphatically emphasizing the direness of the situation was why his approach was appropriate but I couldn't recall any substantive authority for it. I would be interested in a substantive reply. Hope your well.

regards, mikwut

People warning others away from a cliff do not tell them, "I am really happy to see people like you fall off the cliff." Nor do they gleefully predict the collapse of others' marriages.

In short, he's not warning anyone.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:36 pm 
God

Jason Bourne wrote:
In fact as I noted the scriptures and teachings by the GAs from the Church he attempts to defend condemn his behavior.

You can justify anything from the scriptures:
Jesus whips the moneychangers.
Captain Moroni executes the kingmen for treason.
The Old Testament commands stoning apostates.
etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm 
God

mikwut wrote:
Thank Jason,

regards, mikwut

I think will's general strategy is actually to push them off the cliff and bray at them as they're falling.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:44 pm 
\m/ \m/

asbestosman wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
In fact as I noted the scriptures and teachings by the GAs from the Church he attempts to defend condemn his behavior.

You can justify anything from the scriptures:
Jesus whips the moneychangers.
Captain Moroni executes the kingmen for treason.
The Old Testament commands stoning apostates.
etc.

That begs the question then, what good are the scriptures and GAs teachings?

The truth doesn't hurt unless it ought to. B C Forbes

See a sock puppet parody of Kurt Cobain here

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 pm 
God

I'm disappointed this thread and the others that resemble it continue to rage on with the same level of discourse.

Quote:
Where the hell is Dan Peterson in all this? He was anxious to jump in at MAD to defend Will because he knew it would shut down the thread. Has he communicated with his friend David Bokovoy about this? Does he condone Will's denunciation of Bokovoy, Hodges, and other fine LDS members?

can we at least, by all means, try and leave people who are not involved in this stuff out of it? Why are so many trying to drag other LDS in on this. I see no point in going appealling to Buffalo if SP does something that offends me (not that he has offended me). I don't see why this is happening to LDS folks. Can't Peterson just happily stay out of it if he wants and not be questioned for doing so?

I ain't nuttin'. don't get all worked up on account of me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:07 pm 
\m/ \m/

stemelbow wrote:
I'm disappointed this thread and the others that resemble it continue to rage on with the same level of discourse.

Quote:
Where the hell is Dan Peterson in all this? He was anxious to jump in at MAD to defend Will because he knew it would shut down the thread. Has he communicated with his friend David Bokovoy about this? Does he condone Will's denunciation of Bokovoy, Hodges, and other fine LDS members?

can we at least, by all means, try and leave people who are not involved in this stuff out of it? Why are so many trying to drag other LDS in on this. I see no point in going appealling to Buffalo if SP does something that offends me (not that he has offended me). I don't see why this is happening to LDS folks. Can't Peterson just happily stay out of it if he wants and not be questioned for doing so?

He could. But he didn't. He got involved, at MD&D. Then he vanished before the discussion of it ended. Had Peterson remained out of it, he would not be questioned for having gotten involved.

The truth doesn't hurt unless it ought to. B C Forbes

See a sock puppet parody of Kurt Cobain here

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:27 pm 
God

Is the pilling-on working?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm 
God

why me wrote:
quaker wrote:
Will speaks badly to the people he is engaging while most of the 'acts' on here speak badly about people from whom they are far removed. Another issue is that Will lacks anonymity while the majority of the other liars, deceivers, offenders and bad-mouthed characters are mere sock puppets. No one beats them up because they know they can't be hurt.

You have hit the nail on the head. Thank you...

Thank you sock puppets Why Me and Quaker. It's always those others and what they do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:31 pm 
God

wenglund wrote:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Pretty good. Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm 
God

Spurven Ten Sing wrote:
wenglund wrote:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Pretty good.

Are you sure that a few more MDers and a few more threads expressing outrage against Will won't finally get the job done?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:12 pm 
God

wenglund wrote:
Are you sure that a few more MDers and a few more threads expressing outrage against Will won't finally get the job done?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Maybe if they're done insincerely. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next