It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Draw your favorite MDB Poster!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:09 pm 
God

Blixa wrote:
Zeezrom's real Goddess...

(I don't think my zeezrom portrait turned out that well, so here's a little something to make up for it.)

Blixa,

This warmed my heart.

You make a good point about my real Goddess. It would certainly explain her long absences when I've been praying to her in the past couple of months. Duh! She's been on the Monster tour!

I have more to say about this but I think people are getting tired of it.

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:16 pm 
Founder & Visionary

sock puppet wrote:
Due to the tie, I thought you were perhaps drawing a self-portrait of when you'd been on your mission about 18 months, and about to knock on the door of some Japanese that spoke English.

WTF?? I don't get it.

Blixa, I think you're cheating. You're using a sophisticated drawing program with some sort of stylus, not Microsoft Paint and a mouse.

--James, 11/21/2014

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:52 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Scott Gordon Meets with the Oaks Faction.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:11 pm 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Scott Gordon Meets with the Oaks Faction.

Scott parts his hair the other way. But I like it.

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:13 pm 
\m/ \m/

Dr. Shades wrote:
sock puppet wrote:
Due to the tie, I thought you were perhaps drawing a self-portrait of when you'd been on your mission about 18 months, and about to knock on the door of some Japanese that spoke English.

WTF?? I don't get it.

No sexual frustration during your mission celibacy?

Bill Maher Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking.

Mark Twain defined faith as believing what you know ain’t true.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:20 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:

Blixa, I think you're cheating. You're using a sophisticated drawing program with some sort of stylus, not Microsoft Paint and a mouse.

I'm using my mouse which is why my hand cramps up half way through anything I try to draw. And I'm just using the bundled faux photoshop software that comes with Canon cameras along with a shareware drawing program. I would really rather have drawn things by hand using pen and ink and watercolour, but I don't have a scanner either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:31 pm 
God

MrStakhanovite wrote:

You've made me into an image of Jean Paul...

I didn't start out with John Paul in mind, but he took over when I added the glasses. I actually started using photos of Walter Benjamin as a reference point, but discarded that idea when I realized what I'd drawn could have doubled for Trotsky. And just wouldn't be right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:33 pm 
Elder

Nomad wrote:
I have to admit that there have been some really good "art" exhibits on this thread. I think Doctor Scratch, Dr. Shades, and Blixa deserve particular praise. I don't subscribe to Doctor Scratch's underlying messages, but his illustrations are very well done! They made me laugh because they are so well done. Maybe you should become a cartoonist, Doctor Scratch.

I heartily agree; Dr. Scratch truly has a gift. I've busted up laughing over every one of his cartoons. AND I DON'T LAUGH EASILY!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:18 pm 

Allen "The Slug" Wyatt Gives a Burnt Offering for Mopologetics.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:32 pm 
Seething Cauldron of Hate

At least four things are apparent from Scratch's offerings here:

1. He has some artistic ability. (To the suggestion, above, that he become a cartoonist, I would respond that he's already been one for at least five years.)

2 He's paying no attention to the "rules" of the thread, which is supposed to be dedicated to depictions of MDB posters.

3. He's expressing precisely the same personal hostilities, employing the same themes and directed at the same people, to which he's grimly dedicated the past half decade of his life. (It's difficult not to think, albeit on a much lower level, of T. S. Eliot's famous comment about the novelist Henry James, that "He had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it.")

4. The difference in spirit and tone between Scratch's personally insulting cartoons and Blixa's affectionate ones could hardly be clearer.

http://mormonscholarstestify.org
http://mormonscholarstestify.org/category/testimonies

I quote dead people.

Last edited by Daniel Peterson on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 pm 
Seedy Academician

Daniel Peterson wrote:
(It's difficult not to think, albeit on a much lower level, of T. S. Eliot's famous comment about the novelist Henry James, that "He had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it.")

I know that as a Classicist I should be a huge fan of Eliot, and I do respect his work, but I was always more of a Dylan Thomas kind of guy.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:49 pm 
\m/ \m/

Kishkumen wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:
(It's difficult not to think, albeit on a much lower level, of T. S. Eliot's famous comment about the novelist Henry James, that "He had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it.")

I know that as a Classicist I should be a huge fan of Eliot, and I do respect his work, but I was always more of a Dylan Thomas kind of guy.

Amen.

Bill Maher Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking.

Mark Twain defined faith as believing what you know ain’t true.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Allen "The Slug" Wyatt Gives a Burnt Offering for Mopologetics.

DANG! That really does look like him, too!

Good job, Doctor Scratch!

--James, 11/21/2014

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:49 pm 

Daniel Peterson wrote:

1. He has some artistic ability. (To the suggestion, above, that he become a cartoonist, I would respond that he's already been one for at least five years.)

Gee, thanks, Dr. P.

Quote:
2 He's paying no attention to the "rules" of the thread, which is supposed to be dedicated to depictions of MDB posters.

Yeah... I've never had much interest in "rules."

Quote:
3. He's expressing precisely the same personal hostilities, employing the same themes and directed at the same people, to which he's grimly dedicated the past half decade of his life. (It's difficult not to think, albeit on a much lower level, of T. S. Eliot's famous comment about the novelist Henry James, that "He had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it.")

Please correct me if I'm wrong... But wasn't Eliot speaking to James's neglect of the "real," working class? Eliot was a Modernist, after all, and James (at least part of his output) predated that.... Eliot's poetry (especially something like The Wasteland) speaks to the segments of society that James's fiction would almost automatically have ignored. Thus, your criticism here seems rather like complaining that Toni Morrison "has a mind so Black that no Whiteness could violate it," or that Raymond Carver "had a mind so Trailer Trash that no Sophistication could violate it."

Maybe you need to come up with a more productive cliché?

Quote:

4. The difference in spirit and tone between Scratch's personally insulting cartoons and Blixa's affectionate ones could hardly be clearer.

Oh, I'll readily acknowledge Blixa's vastly superior technical skill. That's obvious at a glance. (Shades's, too.) These two are far more technically able than I am. All I can say (and I'm just guessing here) is that crudity occasionally has its charms.

But feel free to contribute, Dan! Let go of your grim humorlessness.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 am 
Let me just say here that I am in deep awe of all of the drawing participants in this thread.

I have an appreciation for art, but can't draw my way out of a paper bag.

WELL DONE, ALL!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:48 am 
God

I am overjoyed to see Scratch and DCP engaging in healthy debate once again. Finally, MDB is back in business!

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:54 am 
God

Daniel Peterson wrote:

Glad to see that your self-imposed exile from Terrestrial is over.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:53 am 
God

Blixa watches her toes near furniture.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 am 
God

Nehor at his Most Comfortable Institution

"Salt Lake, we have a problem." - Fence Sitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:36 am 
God

Spurven Ten Sing wrote:
Blixa watches her toes near furniture.

That is very accurate. I have the scars to prove it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am 
Elder

Daniel Peterson wrote:

I'm not seeing any pictures here.

Do you need some ideas? How about depicting Scratch as some sort of stalker-like character with a facial expression suggesting malevolent intentions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next