It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: and shall walk and not faint.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:04 pm 
God

Had this one from Isaiah lesson this morning in Sunday School where I visited.

Who faints from a walk?

Run and not be weary, maybe. Unless you are running more than a few hundred yards then most everyone but long distance runners get weary.

But walk and not faint? Who faints? Who is so weak and feeble and miserable a person that they need a word or wisdom to get the morning paper from the drive or ammo for the AK that they walk to get it and faint?

One class member said they lived in the desert where it was hot. How many Arabs and Jews have you seen on the news walking - without fainting. How many anyone have you ever seen faint while walking when it was hot?

Another suggested checking with FARMS or FAIR to get a good perspective on it. What? A 'plain scripture' and I need BYU numnuts to try and twist it? Those idiots will come up with something like 'it means Pres Monson can walk without spilling his Pepsi' or something as dumb.

Do you know anyone who walks and faints?

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."

Post subject: Re: and shall walk and not faint.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 pm 
God

Hey numnuts!

Check out what 'faint' could mean in King James English. Check to see how other bibles translate it.

Then come back and apologize for spreading your idiocy like this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:52 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Joseph wrote:
How many anyone have you ever seen faint while walking when it was hot?

I have seen people faint while they were standing still from the heat. I have also been hiking, Boy Scouts and otherwise, and seen people nearly pass out from the heat because they weren't conditioned enough for it or hadn't been drinking enough.

But since D&C 89 does not say "obey and it won't be hot outside," this is all quite irrelevant.

Quote:

Yes. People who haven't been eating right and exercising sometimes have difficulty walking around. I know people I've been with in the downtown areas of different cities who have needed to sit and rest after walking just a few blocks.

D&C 89 was also written in a time when walking was a normal way to go even long distances. Many of the Mormon pioneers who came to Utah a few years after D&C 89 was "revealed" walked, either on their own or pulling handcarts.

The fact is that if a person actually followed the dietary guidelines of the Word of Wisdom it would greatly benefit their overall health---and I mean what it actually says (beer is permissible, and so is wine if you make it yourself). However, the modern LDS Church does not enforce what the Word of Wisdom says. It enforces the temperance movement favored by Heber J. Grant.

If you wanted to talk about whether the Word of Wisdom was a revelation or simply adopting ideas about dietary health that were in circulation during Joseph Smith's time, that would be one thing. Or if you wanted to discuss the circumstances of how the LDS Church decided the Word of Wisdom was a commandment (and even then only certain parts), that would also perhaps be some substantive issue. Instead, you are once again grasping for anything you can complain about in another pointless drive-by post that has no apparent factual basis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:02 pm 
Joseph wrote:
Had this one from Isaiah lesson this morning in Sunday School where I visited.

Who faints from a walk?

Run and not be weary, maybe. Unless you are running more than a few hundred yards then most everyone but long distance runners get weary.

But walk and not faint? Who faints? Who is so weak and feeble and miserable a person that they need a word or wisdom to get the morning paper from the drive or ammo for the AK that they walk to get it and faint?

One class member said they lived in the desert where it was hot. How many Arabs and Jews have you seen on the news walking - without fainting. How many anyone have you ever seen faint while walking when it was hot?

Another suggested checking with FARMS or FAIR to get a good perspective on it. What? A 'plain scripture' and I need BYU numnuts to try and twist it? Those idiots will come up with something like 'it means Pres Monson can walk without spilling his Pepsi' or something as dumb.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, wow. Just wow.