It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seen any good horror movies lately?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:57 pm 
God

One might enjoy The Ring-like Dark Water or The Eye with Jessica Alba. Not many people I know of have seen those and they are pretty good imho.

Conservatism is the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action
He who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Machina Sublime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:12 am 
θεά

silentkid wrote:
Paranormal Activity probably worked best in a theatre full of screaming teens. But that's enough. I want to feel like I'm watching a movie again, not someone's crappy wedding video gone awry.

I finally caught up on Paranormal Activity and I gotta agree with silentkid's assessment of it. I think what ruined it for me was that Micah and Katie were so intensely unlikeable. Micah was a jerk who couldn't take the situation seriously in spite of ample evidence early on that it was a real haunting, and a malicious one at that. Katie was a whiner through and through. I wanted the demon to hurt them, and it took its sweet time.

I also thought that the language in the movie was kind of silly. The movie could have easily had a PG-13 rating if the characters hadn't been swearing like sailors. Why, movie, why?

Thankfully, the Rifftrax commentary on Paranormal Activity just came out, and it was absolutely delightful. You can watch the preview here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm 
θεά

I just watched one yesterday called Triangle (2009) starring Melissa George (best known in America for her role as Lauren Reed in the third season of Alias). Fantastic film. Smart, well-acted, creepy, and appropriately heart-wrenching. The less you know about the plot going into it, the better.

It's currently available streaming on Netflix if you're a Netflix customer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:52 am 
Crack whore trainee

MsJackMeyers wrote:
I just watched one yesterday called Triangle (2009) starring Melissa George (best known in America for her role as Lauren Reed in the third season of Alias). Fantastic film. Smart, well-acted, creepy, and appropriately heart-wrenching. The less you know about the plot going into it, the better.

It's currently available streaming on Netflix if you're a Netflix customer.

Awesome! I just watched Triangle a few weeks ago and have recommended it to a few friends. Glad to see that I'm not the only person who liked it. Every once in a while I find a good one on Netflix's Instant Streaming thingy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:59 pm 
θεά

I am going to the movies with my intelligent and sexy husband tonight to see Joss Whedon's Cabin in the Woods, which is getting great reviews. Been waiting almost three years for this movie to come out (it's been sitting on a shelf that long due to the bankruptcy of MGM).

So excited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENUBUdFswM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm 
God

Kill List.

I was very impressed. It manages to slowly work up a sense of dread as it changes from one genre (kitchen sink brit gangster film) to another (horror). Although the film works slowly toward its inexorable conclusion, there are plenty of deft clues along the way that contribute to the visceral dis-ease (clearly, things are going off the rails for these people...). However, it appears that some audiences are completely confused by the ending which I chalk up to inability to pay attention to anything longer than five minutes.

It managed to get under my skin, which horror films rarely do, and also contained some violent sequences I flinched at (which is also rare). Plus, it has some lovely homages to earlier films as well.

And, absolutely superb use of ambient sound.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:29 am 
θεά

Blixa wrote:
Kill List.

I will see it as soon as Netflix has it.

Cabin in the Woods was fantastic. Great for horror fans, but also the kind of horror movie that people who don't normally watch horror could appreciate.

What everyone is saying about how, the less you know about the plot, the better it is, is absolutely true. Even the trailer is a little on the spoiler-y side.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:17 am 
Area Authority

Teeth.

How can you not love a horror flick that has a scene where a gynecologist clutches his severed fingers and screams in terror: “Vagina dentata! It’s real! It’s REAL!”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:54 pm 
θεά

For the record, I liked Kill List a lot. Very creepy and satisfying.

Just saw one called Absentia. Liked it a lot. Nice to see a horror movie about two women who are not there to be eye candy or stoic heroines. Religion also played a minor role (one is Buddhist and the other Christian). Also, one is pregnant and her baby is not evil nor does the pregnancy come to a gruesome end in the film's climax. Which is refreshingly different for a horror movie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:47 pm 
God

MsJack wrote:
For the record, I liked Kill List a lot. Very creepy and satisfying.

Just saw one called Absentia. Liked it a lot. Nice to see a horror movie about two women who are not there to be eye candy or stoic heroines. Religion also played a minor role (one is Buddhist and the other Christian). Also, one is pregnant and her baby is not evil nor does the pregnancy come to a gruesome end in the film's climax. Which is refreshingly different for a horror movie.

Glad you enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 pm 
God

I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods. Can't really explain why without introducing spoilers. I thought the original Saw was a great film. Saw II was mediocre, and Saw III was just sadistic violence for shock value. I swore never to see any of the other sequels.

I also liked the television series American Horror Story, but it's not for the faint of heart.

ETA: Oh, and Insidious was the creepiest movie I've seen in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 am 
θεά

Brad Hudson wrote:
I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods. Can't really explain why without introducing spoilers.

Same.

Brad Hudson wrote:
I thought the original Saw was a great film. Saw II was mediocre, and Saw III was just sadistic violence for shock value. I swore never to see any of the other sequels.

/agree. I've only seen the first 2 sequels or so, and thought they were terrible. Unfortunately, every single one of those sequels has been a box office success when compared to its budget (even Saw VI). So long as people keep on dumping their cash into terrible cut-rate productions, Hollywood will keep making them.

Brad Hudson wrote:
I also liked the television series American Horror Story, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Has way too much sex plotting for my liking, but I have enjoyed it. Jessica Lange is mesmerizing. Really enjoyed Taissa Farmiga in the first season.

Brad Hudson wrote:

Been thinking about checking this one out. Guess I will now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:31 am 
God

Brad Hudson wrote:
I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods. Can't really explain why without introducing spoilers. I thought the original Saw was a great film. Saw II was mediocre, and Saw III was just sadistic violence for shock value. I swore never to see any of the other sequels.

Considering the "spoilers" were revealed in the first scene of the film, you could probably go ahead and say it :smile:
Great flick, btw. For my money, all the best horror films are foreign. Especially Spanish horror films. I recommend checking out "The Last Circus" on Netflix, it will make you simultaneously laugh, scream, and cringe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 am 
Regional Representative

Pontypool, The Corridor, White, Mutants, Audition, R-Point, Shock Labyrinth, The Slit Mouthed Woman... I watch a lot of movies.

As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. - O'Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:59 pm 
God

Kittens_and_Jesus wrote:
Pontypool, The Corridor, White, Mutants, Audition, R-Point, Shock Labyrinth, The Slit Mouthed Woman... I watch a lot of movies.

Pontypool!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm 
God

Quatermass and the Pit. Classic British scifi from the 60's. Saw it on late night TV when I was a kid. Scared the bejeezus outta me.

I am against feminism for the very fact that I do not want to exercise unrighteous dominion over women.
--Water Dog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:44 pm 
θεά

In memory of the late Paul Walker, I'll just go ahead and say:

Joy Ride (2001). I find Leelee Sobieski annoying, but I otherwise enjoyed it and thought it had some genuine chills.

Not in memory of the late Paul Walker: I saw Grace (2009 Canadian independent film) sometime this year, while I was pregnant. The first half was interesting, but I thought things fell apart in the second half.

After two weeks of breastfeeding a newborn, I changed my mind. It's the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in my life! (But that's probably a highly subjective opinion...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 pm 
God

Not a movie, but I recently played through the zombie-horror game The Last of Us. It's what you get when you cross 28 days later with The Road and toss in a little Children of Men on the side. It's pretty great. Gameplay aside, it works entirely on the level of good horror storytelling. The full game narrative is basically a good movie. It operates in the realm of zombie, post-apocalyptic genre cliches but plays with those tropes ever so slightly in a way that yields a surprisingly mature, thoughtful story. Overall as a game, I side with those who think it is a generational classic in the same class as Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VI, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. There's flaws, but the more I think about it, the more I appreciate just how good what it was doing actually was.

If you haven't played it MsJack, you need to do whatever you need to do to get your hands on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 am 
God

Thanks for the heads up, EA. I've just started it, and am looking forward to playing it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:38 am 
God

Brad Hudson wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, EA. I've just started it, and am looking forward to playing it.

I'd like to hear what you thought of it.

I really like this flick, despite the rubber aliens and the overwrought facial contortions you find in old British horror films. For me, the creepiest part was the silent, blurry, sequence depicting a "cleansing of the Martian hives". I hope they never remake it, because a remake would most likely ruin it.

I am against feminism for the very fact that I do not want to exercise unrighteous dominion over women.
--Water Dog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 am 
God

The Erotic Apologist wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:

I'd like to hear what you thought of it.

I really like this flick, despite the rubber aliens and the overwrought facial contortions you find in old British horror films. For me, the creepiest part was the silent, blurry, sequence depicting a "cleansing of the Martian hives". I hope they never remake it, because a remake would most likely ruin it.

Aw, shoot, I was responding to EAllusion. But your flick looks interesting and I'll try to find it.