Could Astrology be Reel?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
cinepro
God

Could Astrology be Reel?

Post by cinepro »

I've enjoyed Bill Reel's podcasts and online postings for years, so imagine my surprise when I came across this post on Facebook.

Apparently, Bill had his astrological "natal chart" created on a natal-chart generating website, and it was so accurate that he thinks there might be something to this "astrology" thing. And he is seeking astrologers to come on his podcast and teach him more about it.

For the podcast "Almost Awakened" ( https://almostawakened.org/ ). I am looking to do an recorded audio interview with an astrology "expert" and am wondering if anyone here can point me to such a person or if any of you are in a position to do this?

I am not a fan of of horoscopes (using astrology to predict the future) but am quite impressed with the full natal charts (using astrology to pinpoint personality differences) of myself and everyone I know who has done these. I have seen a dozen people do these and everyone of them has had this chart describe them pretty accurately when it would not have described others near as well with those descriptions.

I have used the site Cafe Astrology.com (be sure to put all the info in including birth time) then scroll half way down the page to start the description

I want to cover just basic astrology and then have the interviewee handle a few off the cuff questions in what I hope is a very natural conversation that takes about an hour to an hour and a half.

https://www.Facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

This would be a follow up to his podcast with a "healer" who practices "tapping" (a form of chi-manipulation).

Et tu Bill?

Finn the human
Star A

Re: Could Astrology be Reel?

Post by Finn the human »

Remember when it came out that Dr. Petersen thought that dowsing rods were pretty neat? As I recall, that fact didn’t hurt Dr. Petersen’s credibility in any way. Similarly, I think its ok to give Bill a pass for dabbling in nonsense too.
Mathematical!

cinepro
God

Post by cinepro »

Finn the human wrote:Remember when it came out that Dr. Petersen thought that dowsing rods were pretty neat? As I recall, that fact didn’t hurt Dr. Petersen’s credibility in any way. Similarly, I think its ok to give Bill a pass for dabbling in nonsense too.

I suppose if Bill aspires to the level of rationality regularly exhibited by DCP, that point will be a comfort.

cwald
God

Post by cwald »

I was going to give you ____ for misspelling "real" in the title of this thread, but...never mind.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

I just tried it. Their description of me could fit anybody except for Adolf Hitler.

It's all mealy-mouthed, weasel-word nonsense tarted up in systematic-sounding jargon to make you think they are being specific. Look,it's obviously done via an AI algorithm from some computer. We should all be impressed by what the algorithm can do. We should be terrified by the fact that it exists.

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Maybe he's bored? At a certain point Mormonism and it's many failings become monotonous, just like the 4 yr sunday school lesson cycle. Then what? Ouija boards? Dowsing rods? So, why not astrology? If one blurs their eyes enough, the ugliest duckling becomes prince or princess charming.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

cinepro wrote:
Finn the human wrote:Remember when it came out that Dr. Petersen thought that dowsing rods were pretty neat? As I recall, that fact didn’t hurt Dr. Petersen’s credibility in any way. Similarly, I think it's ok to give Bill a pass for dabbling in nonsense too.

I suppose if Bill aspires to the level of rationality regularly exhibited by DCP, that point will be a comfort.

No one will be laughing when Dr. Peterson finally discovers the route of 16th-century Icelandic alchemist, Arne Saknussemm, to the center of the earth with his rod of apologetics. No way can the Maxwellians top that!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

Finn the human wrote:Remember when it came out that Dr. Petersen thought that dowsing rods were pretty neat? As I recall, that fact didn’t hurt Dr. Petersen’s credibility in any way. Similarly, I think its ok to give Bill a pass for dabbling in nonsense too.

I was unaware that Dan's credibility did not take a hit when he expressed support for dowsing rods? I know it did with me and if Reel is actually voicing any support for Astrology then that is also something to consider next time he weighs in on occult and religious claims.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make priests its say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I tell you what. Mr. Reel shows up here Imma gon’ give him a hard time over it, especially if he decides to defend it. I would love nothing more than a woo-dude to practice some woolagetics here on MormonDiscussions.com.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Maksutov
God

Post by Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I tell you what. Mr. Reel shows up here Imma gon’ give him a hard time over it, especially if he decides to defend it. I would love nothing more than a woo-dude to practice some woolagetics here on MormonDiscussions.com.

- Doc

Go get'em Doc! Let me know if you need an ammunition handler. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

krose
God

Post by krose »

I have always wondered what is so special about the day of a person’s birth in astrology. If anything, I would think they would try to base the ideas of cosmic influence on the day you were conceived. Obviously that would be nearly impossible to figure out in most cases, but it makes a BIT more sense to me.

Also, do any astrologists ever try to do their charting in reverse? If someone were able to reliably guess a person’s date of birth after assessing that person’s personality traits, I would actually find it very impressive.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton

Dantana
2nd Quorum of Seventy

Post by Dantana »

Well, ya know, a lot of people go through a new age phase when they leave diety based religious theory. Tarski for one comes to mind. I am pretty much over my new age phase, although, I can say that bent wire dowsing rods do move in ones hands for some reason or another.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Leaving Mormonism doesn’t automagically transform one into a skeptical thinker. It’s not surprising to see formons replace one brand of magical thinking with another.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

Simon Southerton
Stake President

Post by Simon Southerton »

Bill needs to watch this 8 minute video that explains exactly how astrology is so amazingly accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6uj1ruTmGQ
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama

Maksutov
God

Post by Maksutov »

Res Ipsa wrote:Leaving Mormonism doesn’t automagically transform one into a skeptical thinker. It’s not surprising to see formons replace one brand of magical thinking with another.

Staying in Mormonism doesn't help either. Witness Dowser Dan and the fact that Mormons avoid Ouija boards because they think they actually WORK. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Maksutov wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Leaving Mormonism doesn’t automagically transform one into a skeptical thinker. It’s not surprising to see formons replace one brand of magical thinking with another.

Staying in Mormonism doesn't help either. Witness Dowser Dan and the fact that Mormons avoid Ouija boards because they think they actually WORK. :lol:

Absolutely! If one wants to become a skeptic, step one is learning to spot magical thinking in oneself. It’s not an easy skill to learn.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Maksutov wrote:Witness Dowser Dan and the fact that Mormons avoid Ouija boards because they think they actually WORK. :lol:

No fair! They've simply been told that Satan is guiding the pointer, so they just believe - that's what Mormons do.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

I have noticed that Ouija Boards and dowsing rods cease to work when the operator(s) is blindfolded and asked to repeat their performance.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make priests its say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

MonkeyNumber9
Nursery

Post by MonkeyNumber9 »

James Randi (the magician/woo-skeptic/debunker) did a nice short piece on astrology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy5T0YwtG4o