more of gemli's gems

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
kairos
God

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by kairos »

So Woody what did you do in the war? I gather from info you have given you were a clerk typist, one of the cushiest occupational specialities (MOS) in the Army. You were privy to the Captain's or First Sergeant's orderly room conversation and probably portrayed yourself as an insider to your barracks buddies. But no, you just typed the morning report, memos and letters, probably could hardly lift your M1 /M14, tried to finagle a three day pass even as you were underdeserving - maybe even got a good conduct medal.

Tell me why didn't you volunteer to go Infantry, Artillery or Armor? It's done by brave men, but no, clerk typist fit your physical profile, and was the safest assignment ever for a dweeb. I bet you had some really great war stories to regal your family or friends with.

And you refused to drink coffee-worth a medal by itself!

Please lay off gemli, he is 10 times more interesting than you and your worthless posts.

Jusy Bitchin'

k

AZCaesar
Star A

Post by AZCaesar »

Louis Midgley 9 hours ago

So I thought of myself as experienced in ocean voyages, except on a bloody Troop Ship in the winter with storms battering us the entire time, as well as the battering of fowl language from those shouting orders.

Was he on a ship manned by ducks?

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley Kiwi57 • 21 hours ago

Those who never really owned their faith, and who see "church" as something one does on Sunday only, or who once did as little as possible in the community of Saints and then found some excuse to justify their having gone missing, may come to refer to the "magical mythology of Mormonism."

What a priggish jerk this little man is. This is a perfect example of how the LDS religion tears families apart and destroys familial relationships. The motto of angry little bullies like Midgley should be:

”Families are NOT forever. God told us so.”

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Gemli makes an excellent point that fits in very well to recent discussions regarding proofs and starting assumptions. Maybe he does read here? On the other hand, common sense can be, well, fairly common.

gemli Louis Midgley • 14 hours ago

Belief does not come before evidence.

If you're looking for evidence for your belief, you've already admitted that the belief takes precedence.

I suspect that if evidence was presented that undermined any of your religious beliefs you would keep the belief and discard the evidence.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4679180377

[bolding added]

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Oh boy. Gemli’s on a roll. He calls Sic et Non “comic relief”:

gemli a day ago

The butterfly example demonstrates a key point regarding genetic evolution. DNA isn't a blueprint for a organism's structure which can be disassembled by reversing the construction steps. It's more like a recipe. The resulting creatures can't easily be predicted or deconstructed because each genetic ingredient blends with and influences others. It's no more possible to separate the influence of each gene than it would be to un-bake a cake.

This is serious science.

But for comic relief, we have a religious website wondering why scientists don't invoke the G-word when they're musing about cosmological unknowns. After all, cavemen would think that an iPhone was a magical God-given thing.

The reason most scientists don't mention God is that every time they've used it in the past to describe some natural phenomenon it turned out that investigating the phenomenon was far more productive in finding a meaningful answer.

To listen to recent invocations of the G-word regarding the nature of the universe, abiogenesis, human origins, consciousness, eternal life and the like is to be reminded that the G-word was never the answer to anything. It's more likely to hold back real understanding than to shine a light on anything other than human credulity.

It's a quirk of human nature to think that a big, magical human is responsible for everything. But it's so easy to exploit this quirk that it's not going away any time soon.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4678309224

Analytics
God

Post by Analytics »

AZCaesar wrote:

So I thought of myself as experienced in ocean voyages, except on a bloody Troop Ship in the winter with storms battering us the entire time, as well as the battering of fowl language from those shouting orders.

Was he on a ship manned by ducks?

LOL
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

How to slap down an online bully....

Louis Midgley gemli • a day ago

This is the cuddly, cute gemli. But it gives him 6526 posts on Patheos. Go for it. Built that number, and keep imagining that it replaces actually publishing something. So gemli was evacuated from New Orleans when Katrina hit, while as soon as possible Helping Hands went it to try their best to help those in need.

gemli Louis Midgley • a day ago

Actually no, gemli did not evacuate from New Orleans when Katrina was looming. He was out of town helping his significant other relocate for a new job. He could not return for six weeks, until the flood waters receded in his neighborhood. He lost virtually everything he owned, as did his sister and his elderly mother, who lived in entirely different areas of the city. The sense of irrecoverable loss lingers to this day, almost 15 years later.

See how much more interesting actual knowledge is compared to off-base surmises made in ignorance?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4680546621

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Speaking of being bullied by a midge-flea....

gemli Louis Midgley a day ago

Everyone is aware of your obsession with my biographical details. You do try to flesh out my entire being with a handful of isolated facts, but if that gives you pleasure, please feel free.

I'm glad to help, so here's some additional facts about moi. I started out life as a child, and everything went downhill from there. Life was very unsatisfying until I discovered Dan's blog, which gave me a reason to live.

My favorite TV show is Rick and Morty. I play a little piano. I'm trying to recover old videotapes that were inundated by floodwaters from Katrina. I eat a Hass avocado and a plum tomato almost every day.

Please try to work these facts into your subsequent comments. The variety would be welcomed by all.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4680525617

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope gemli knows how much his refusal to let midgley get under his skin is admired and appreciated.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Gemli gives a level-headed outsider’s view of The Interrupter’s movie endeavors:

gemli Zzyzx Zybisco 4 hours ago

How does one honestly investigate things in the 19th century that didn't actually happen? Or is the default position one in which gods and angels and prophets are real, and people who claim to have seen them are reliable reporters?

Every religion thinks it's the only one that gets it exactly right, and all others are flawed. You should hear what the Catholics say about Mormons after they've had a little too much altar wine. There comes a time when credulity is stretched to the limit. But every religion makes such claims, and not a single unambiguous artifact has ever been found, nor has any spirit sighting been confirmed even though various gods are practically stumbling over each other to prove their existence to the locals.

I'd recommend that you honestly consider what it is you believe, and, more importantly, why you believe it.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4689273242

[p.s. “Interrupter” is how autocorrect spells ”Interpreter” when one is typing too fast. Coincidence? O, surely not. An angel told me so. :cool: )

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Not a gemli gem, but I noticed that Peterson and Midgley are apparently quite jealous of Moksha’s very well respected presence here:

Moksha Louis Midgley • 4 days ago

Don't forget the wisdom of Provo that can ferret out personal human information through internet searches, plus all of the above.

−—
Moksha Kiwi57 • 3 days ago

With seer stone activated, I am open for channeling. Hey, is there a USB port for these things?

−—
Louis Midgley Moksha • 2 hours ago

I think that Moksha should take his silly skepticism some to some other venue where it will seem like it is ever so clever.

−—
DanielPeterson Mod Louis Midgley • 29 minutes ago

I'm not sure that it's all that appreciated even in the Other Venue.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4690050627

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just a touch too obvious, boys. Jealousy’s a ____. :cool:

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I don't think DCP and the Midge like court jesters, especially one with bite.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Gemli may not realize it, but he has previewed the Witnesses movie:

DanielPeterson Mod gemli • 13 hours ago

It's a shame that you never really engage the evidence.

−—
gemli DanielPeterson • 7 hours ago

From years of reading your posts the evidence appears to be a series of extraordinary claims made by a small group of people in the 19th-century who might either be susceptible to supernatural beliefs or have a vested interest in promoting them.

Evidence of key artifacts that would remove all doubt is conveniently absent.

We're left with only a story that is reminiscent of those that underlie every other religion, spirit sighting, ghost story, alien abduction or other astounding tale that is sparked by interactions with mysterious beings who seem perfectly willing to interact with humans and yet remain perfectly hidden.

Requiring nonbelievers to engage the evidence is therefore the safest way to ensure that one's beliefs will never be successfully challenged.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4690225431

From the same link, part 2:

gemli Jack 4 hours ago

There are preachers today who can speak in tongues and prattle on for hours about what God did and wants and expects while providing detailed accounts of things that were supposed to have happened two thousand years ago.

These people are like many other virtuoso orators and storytellers who thrived in days past who could can take the germ of a story and build an entire world around it.

If such stories were real, there would be real, tangible and examinable evidence for the events and artifacts that are asserted. This is what separates a ripping tale from a ripoff.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Exiled wrote:I don't think DCP and the Midge like court jesters, especially one with bite.

And zing, and pazazz, and clout, and actual knowledge....... :biggrin: GO PENGUIN GO!
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

AZCaesar wrote:

Surprised Professor Midgley is still squawking about that after all these years. You would imagine he had forgotten after all that time on an ivory perch.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

moksha wrote:Surprised Professor Midgley is still squawking about that after all these years. You would imagine he had forgotten after all that time on an ivory perch.

The Midge was so taken aback with the foul language that he had to use an english swear word "bloody" to describe it.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley • a day ago • edited

Please notice that I have not posted a comment this morning. The reason is that once again I am simply going to ignore gemli, who boasts that he does not care at all to know a thing about the target of his opinions. There are a few others who are also ignorable, who I will not specifically identify.

−—
gemli Louis Midgley • 21 hours ago

There is a God, and He is merciful.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Many times midgley has berated gemli for not reading up on various LDS beliefs, and has lately taken to calling gemli’s scientific comments as ‘his dogmatic religion.’ Gemli has responded many times, very very patiently explaining his position, but this time, more than usual, his explanation struck a chord with me:
gemli Louis Midgley • 2 days ago

I live in the current day, and not in centuries-old historical times. You may assign any word you like to my conviction that the God of the Christian Bible, and every other god in ancient history, the present day or the distant future did not, does not and will not ever exist, except as a thought in the minds of human beings.

I can imagine various believers in every one of the thousands of branches and sects and offshoots and variations of Christianity could claim that I can't speak about their beliefs unless I was thoroughly familiar with the various histories that they claim are crucial. This is an attempt at setting an impossible goal, and then declaring that my arguments aren't valid because I can't meet it. I cannot tell you how little I care about such a strategy.

I am not indifferent to all beliefs, but only to those that exist only as assertions that have no foundation other than a feedback loop of stories that intensify beliefs that create more stories.

My confidence in science is based on demonstrable evidence that results not from faith, but from hypotheses that are shown to be true and valid. The framework created by thousands of interlocking scientific facts leaves no room for deities made of hopes and fears that exist only in human minds. If you need your faith, that's fine. Just don't expect nonbelievers to take it seriously.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4697873221

[bolded FT.]

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I’d love to have a beer with Gemli.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Gemli shares some wisdom on how to ignore people like Midgley:
gemli

Yeah, Dr. Midgley likes to do the third-person thing, which appears to be some sort of defense mechanism masquerading as haughty superiority or something.

The problem is that he's a very smart, well-traveled and well-read fellow who uses his talents to trivialize and dismiss people who criticize religious beliefs.

Meh. I've resisted and poked back on occasion, but lately I've decided to go with the flow. Your mileage may vary.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4695890949

Maksutov
God

Post by Maksutov »

Midgely is a pissy little pussy. He has to hide out among his ilk and lob Mopologetic turds in lieu of living an honorable and productive life, like the coward he is and always has been. :lol: He's the intellectual leader they deserve.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Louis Midgley wrote:Please notice that I have not posted a comment this morning. The reason is that once again I am simply going to ignore gemli, who boasts that he does not care at all to know a thing about the target of his opinions. There are a few others who are also ignorable, who I will not specifically identify.

This was my response:

I have noticed that you have not posted a comment this morning, especially this one that you did not post. Thank you for ignoring gemli by posting about what you will or won't do regarding gemli. In fact, I think it's great that you were able to post 58 words about how you will ignore gemli by assumedly posting 0 words.

Link: http://disq.us/p/25r1rvj