It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:00 am 
God

Just when I think my fremdschämen cup is about to overflow, I discover that there is actually more room in there... much, much more room.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:55 am 
Holy Ghost

Dr. Peterson is currently posting a rough draft of a new book project introducing ten (or perhaps twelve) Muslim classics. He’s started with introductory notes on “One Thousand and One Nights.” In the most recent entry, he provides notes on how “Nights” came to the West.

One prominent commenter responds to the post with an interesting remark: "I must admit that I am quite surprised that Dan know [sic] all kinds of things about these curious tales."

I note this remark because it raises the important question of how Dr. Peterson knows certain things about “Nights.” Dr. Peterson has not responded to that point, and his post lacks any references.

For myself, I will point out that Dr. Peterson's post has strong verbal similarities to material posted on a webpage on "One Thousand and One Nights,” which itself credits the Encyclopedia of Islam (see here). I will refer to the material on the webpage as ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA. Here follows a comparison of material from Dr. Peterson's post (labeled SeN below) and ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA:

ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "The entire work is enclosed in a 'frame-story', and this was known in Italy in the Middle Ages. Traces of it are to be found in a novel by Giovanni Sercambi (1347-1424) and in the story of Astolfo and Giocondo which is told in the 28th canto of Orlando Furioso by Ariosto (beginning of the 16th century); travellers who had been in the East may have brought this knowledge to Italy."

SeN: "The frame story of King Shahryār and Shahrazād was known in Italy in the late Middle Ages. Traces of it linger, for example, in a novel by Giovanni Sercambi (1347-1424). Sometime thereafter, at the beginning of the sixteenth century, clear allusions to the story appear in the tale of Astolfo and Giocondo, which is featured in the 28th canto of Ariosto’s Orlando Furioso. It isn’t known how the story reached Italy, but it’s likely that travelers who had been to the Middle East may have brought it back in some form or another."

ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "But the whole Alf Layla wa-Layla came to Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries. The French scholar and traveller Jean Antoine Galland (1646-1715) published it for the first time. Travelling in the Near East at first as a secretary of the French ambassador, then as a collector of objects for museums commissioned by amateurs, he had known the world of the Orient, and his attention was directed to the great number of stories and fables told there."

SeN: "The whole Alf Layla wa Layla came to Europe in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and the pivotal person in that appears to have been the French scholar Jean Antoine Galland (1646-1715), who published it for first time. Galland had been the secretary to a French ambassador in Near East, which is where he became acquainted with the Nights."

ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "Thus he [Galland] adapted his translation to the taste of his European readers, changing sometimes the wording of the Arabic text and paraphrasing things that were foreign to Europeans. Hence the great success of his ‘Nights’. But he was also fortunate in the material which fell into his hands. He began by translating Sindbad the Sailor from an unidentified MS; then he learned that this was part of a great collection of stories called ‘The Thousand and One Nights'."

SeN: "Galland was fortunate in the materials that came to his attention. These first began with stories of Sindbad the Sailor, which have been favorites among Western audiences ever since. Galland then realized that the Sindbad cycle was part of a larger collection ('1001 Nights'), although it must be noted that some manuscripts don’t contain Sindbad at all."

ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "[T]hen he [Galland] had the luck to have sent to him from Syria four vols. of a MS of that work which is, except for a small fragment found by Nabia Abbott, the oldest known and contains the best surviving text.

SeN: "So he had four manuscript volumes of the Nights sent to him from Syria, and these remain—apart from a fragment discovered by the modern scholar Nabia Abbot—the oldest and best surviving text of the stories."

ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "After his [Galland's] return to France he began in 1704 to publish his volumes Les mille et une Nuits contes arabes traduits en Francais. By 1706 seven vols. had appeared: vol. viii appeared in 1709, vols. ix and x in 1712, vols. xi and xii in 1717, two years after Galland's death."

SeN: "Galland began to publish his version of the Nights in 1704, and publication continued until 1717, two years after his death."

ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "He [Galland] was a born story-teller; he had a flair for a good story and a knack of re-telling it well. Thus he adapted his translation to the taste of his European readers, changing sometimes the wording of the Arabic text and paraphrasing things that were foreign to Europeans. . . . But in 1709 he met a certain Maronite from Aleppo, Hanna, brought to Paris by the traveller Paul Lucas, and at once recognized that he had got an oral source of the story material. Hanna told him stories in Arabic, and Galland inserted in his Journal abstracts of some of these. But Hanna also gave him transcripts of some."

SeN: "He was a born story-teller, often re-arranging and paraphrasing his materials. Later, in fact, a Syrian Maronite Christian came to Paris and told him stories orally, which he transcribed and translated."

ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "For more than a century Galland's French version meant the Nights for Europe, and two of his stories whose original Arabic texts were not known were even translated into Oriental languages. But meanwhile other MSS, more or less connected with the Nights, were brought to light and, from these, various supplements to Galland were translated and published. Just as the MSS of the Nights themselves varied enormously as to the stories which they contained, so these translators were prepared to attach to the Nights any story that existed in Arabic."

SeN: "Galland’s version was the Nights for many generations of Western readers. And, in fact, two of his stories (for which the original Arabic was was unknown) were eventually rendered into Arabic—so that, in part but in a very real sense, Jean Antoine Galland provided the Nights for an Arabic audience, as well. For a time, indeed, some were willing to attach to the Nights any sufficiently riveting story that was found in Arabic."

ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "From the Egyptian Recension have been made all the modern western translations. Lane's translation, incomplete but with a very valuable and full commentary, began to appear in parts in 1839 and was finished in 1841.”

SeN: "I’ll mention two significant nineteenth-century English versions of the Thousand and One Nights. The first, by Edward William Lane, began to appear in parts in 1839 and was finished in 1841. It’s an incomplete production in many ways, but it features a valuable and full commentary.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 am 
God

Any work DCP does will be deeply in the shadow of the infinitely superior scholar and explorer, Richard Francis Burton. :wink:

His defense of Joseph's Myth has robbed him of a life of intellectual achievement. But he gets to high five his fellow cultists while "owning" the evil gentile World...which strangely enough remains oblivious to him and his band of hobbyists. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:39 pm 
God

Maksutov wrote:
Any work DCP does will be deeply in the shadow of the infinitely superior scholar and explorer, Richard Francis Burton. :wink:

His defense of Joseph's Myth has robbed him of a life of intellectual achievement. But he gets to high five his fellow cultists while "owning" the evil gentile World...which strangely enough remains oblivious to him and his band of hobbyists. :lol:

If you believe you have slain the devil in a forest, where no one else is around, where no one cares to be around, did it really happen? Well, as long as belief is strong, it happened and it was glorious.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:44 pm 
God

Let's face it. Mormonism is an afterthought, something to be avoided by the vast majority of the population. So, DCP and his band of haters are secondary or not even noticed. The only reason that they are even in the game, so to speak, is because there is a band of 100,000 65,000 world-wide religious interlopers, trying to convince an incredulous world of their nonsense.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:10 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I always enjoy it when Mr. Peterson claims a point
Quote:
From one of my incomplete manuscripts
:D

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... ledge.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... kshop.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... faced.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... wdery.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/page/32

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... reely.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... -wren.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... art-3.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... eived.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... -dead.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... tands.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... truth.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... aud-2.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... ssics.html

I love the clever little notion he likes to plant with his dupes that his 'study' is littered with incomplete manuscripts, notes messily left about a large mahogany desk, a stereophonic record player quitely eliciting Vivaldi in the background, and rich artwork of dogs playing poker the Savior or a temple on his walls in an underlit space.

What. A ____. Schlub.

How does he get away with it? How in the world has BYU paid this confidence man for so many years? It's crazy.

eta: The above links are him referencing some incomplete manuscript he's been fiddling with that he totes is going to finish some day. Those links? Just a SMALL sample of how many times he's dropped that little gem.

- Doc

I'm only quoting myself for context. When called out by user lcmccabe on another Arabian Nights blog post:

Quote:
Really? I need more information here to support your premise as I do not see any parallels with the storyline of Giacondo and Astolfo in Orlando furioso with that of the Arabian Nights. Both Giacondo and Astolfo were cuckholded and so they set about getting revenge by seducing as many men's wives as possible. It didn't matter their age or beauty, the greater the reputation for virtue the more they showered their attention.

I have actually spent the last thirteen years adapting both Orlando furioso and Orlando innamorato into novels for modern day audiences, so I am well familiar with this canto you referenced. I have also read the Arabian Nights as part of my research material as Caliph Harun al-Rashid, a contemporary of Charlemagne, features in those tales.

Currently unconvinced. (And, in case you are interested, I came upon this blog post from my Google alert set for Orlando furioso.)

It becomes immediately apparent what Mr. Peter$on is up to. He pulls his usual trick by insinuating he has to get back to his study or some other repository stocked with the knowledge of a thousand scholars where he says:

Quote:
Well, I'm in the Canadian Rockies on vacation right now, hundreds of miles from home and with no library resources. So I won't be able to do any checking for quite a while.

... thus deflecting what everyone knows, that he routinely googles some topic, finds a webpage or a wiki article to plagiarize, and then posts he's working on some 'manuscript' when in reality he just craps out some re-wording of someone else's work.

Classic Peter$on.

- Doc

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:28 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

I'm only quoting myself for context. When called out by user lcmccabe on another Arabian Nights blog post:

Quote:
Really? I need more information here to support your premise as I do not see any parallels with the storyline of Giacondo and Astolfo in Orlando furioso with that of the Arabian Nights. Both Giacondo and Astolfo were cuckholded and so they set about getting revenge by seducing as many men's wives as possible. It didn't matter their age or beauty, the greater the reputation for virtue the more they showered their attention.

I have actually spent the last thirteen years adapting both Orlando furioso and Orlando innamorato into novels for modern day audiences, so I am well familiar with this canto you referenced. I have also read the Arabian Nights as part of my research material as Caliph Harun al-Rashid, a contemporary of Charlemagne, features in those tales.

Currently unconvinced. (And, in case you are interested, I came upon this blog post from my Google alert set for Orlando furioso.)

It becomes immediately apparent what Mr. Peter$on is up to. He pulls his usual trick by insinuating he has to get back to his study or some other repository stocked with the knowledge of a thousand scholars where he says:

Quote:
Well, I'm in the Canadian Rockies on vacation right now, hundreds of miles from home and with no library resources. So I won't be able to do any checking for quite a while.

... thus deflecting what everyone knows, that he routinely googles some topic, finds a webpage or a wiki article to plagiarize, and then post he's working on some 'manuscript' when in reality he just craps out some re-wording of someone else's work.

Classic Peter$on.

- Doc
That's what happens when you just exchange synonyms to disguise your plagiarism. From Tom's documentation of DP's plagiarism:
Quote:
ALF LAYLA wa-LAYLA: "... Traces of it are to be found in a novel by Giovanni Sercambi (1347-1424) and in the story of Astolfo and Giocondo which is told in the 28th canto of Orlando Furioso by Ariosto (beginning of the 16th century)..."

SeN: "... Traces of it linger, for example, in a novel by Giovanni Sercambi (1347-1424). Sometime thereafter, at the beginning of the sixteenth century, clear allusions to the story appear in the tale of Astolfo and Giocondo, which is featured in the 28th canto of Ariosto’s Orlando Furious..."

It's obvious that 'clear allusions to the story' was intended to replace the 'and' which connected it originally to 'traces of it are to be found...' The problem is that while 'allusions' might be roughly synonymous with 'traces,' the phrase 'clear allusions' apparently goes to far. At least, according to the commenter who says they have studied this. It's a weird side effect of uncorrected plagiarism, along with plagiarizing the errors included in other people's work, which happened most recently in Peterson's earthquake lake blog entry.

When you take the easy way out and plagiarize other's work instead of creating your own on a topic of interest, these things will happen and people will notice. I suppose you can chalk it up to karma--the natural penalty for intellectual theft that is allowed to go on, uncorrected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:37 pm 
Holy Ghost

Does anyone have easy access to the second edition of the Encyclopedia of Islam? I’d be interested to know if the material on the Muslimphilosophy webpage regarding “Nights” is simply a copy of the entry titled “Alf Layla wa-Layla” (credited to E. Littmann).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:02 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Quote:

... thus deflecting what everyone knows, that he routinely googles some topic, finds a webpage or a wiki article to plagiarize, and then posts he's working on some 'manuscript' when in reality he just craps out some re-wording of someone else's work.

I just want it pointed out that since that comment that he's 'much too busy vacationing in the Canadian Rockies' he has since posted, what, 11 entries on Patheos that are commensurate with the effort he put into the original plagiarized Arabian Nights post?

Please note from his, "What we should think of current science can quite properly depend, in part, on theology" post he oddly declined to mention the BYU professor's name while linking to his work, and then he linked to two other articles, in additional to liberally quoting from someone named Alvin Platinga.

Quite curious, if you ask me, that he can post robustly on a variety of topics researched from the tips of his Rubenesque fingers, but can't seem to *snap* provide a follow-up to his plagiarized article and, forgive me for my language, his humbling ass kicking by user 'lcmccabe'.

Will he do a follow-up? Based on his long and cantankerous posting history it's very, very unlikely.

- Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:36 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
. . . but can't seem to *snap* provide a follow-up to his plagiarized article and, forgive me for my language, his humbling ass kicking by user 'lcmccabe'.

Will you please post a link to that latter part?

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:09 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
. . . but can't seem to *snap* provide a follow-up to his plagiarized article and, forgive me for my language, his humbling ass kicking by user 'lcmccabe'.

Will you please post a link to that latter part?

Sure, here you go:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... qus_thread

- Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:29 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Thank you, kind sir.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 pm 
God

Lemmie has graciously provided the encouragement to make Dr. Peterson into a more conscientious scholar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:37 am 
CTR B

The BYU College of Humanities is quite specific in terms of expected teaching and scholarly work from all continuing faculty members.

• Teaching: 6 courses per calendar year minimum, assuming active engagement in scholarship & research (otherwise, 8 courses/yr is expected)
  • Scholarship: standard is "one scholarly article published in a peer-reviewed journal" per year.
(Link + relevant text below)

This standard applies to full professors, who are expected to exemplify the model for assistant and associate professors.

Of note, DP teaches the minimum 6 courses per year - and has for the last 3 years (furthest back I bothered to check).

Therefore, peers in the Humanities department would reasonably expect their esteemed colleague to be pulling his proverbial weight, by actively contributing to peer-reviewed scholarship.

What of this scholarship standard?

Searches on Google Scholar and ResearchGate turn up nothing since 2007. He lacks so much as a profile page on either resource.

It is as if, to the academic universe, he does not exist, and has not existed for more than 10 years.

By comparison, a peer in Asian & Near Eastern Languages, full Professor Kirk Belnap shows 165 citations and 1,040 reads on ResearchGate. Google Scholar shows pages of articles written by Prof. Belnap. As it should be.

And this is no surprise! Why?

Because, even for a tenured polymath, publishing novel scholarship every year is simply impossible when one chooses to waste >40 hours per week, for more than a decade, obsessively satisfying an addiction to apologetic pornography.

Now I personally could not care less if DP chooses to spend his time on such activities. Have at it. But it continues to bother me that BYU pays for and tacitly endorses a full professor who:

(a) lies about what BYU pays him to do, when using ~half of a tenured professor's salary to play apologist

(b) dishonestly wields the authority of a serious scholar in writing on Deseret News, editing and authoring at Interpreter, and countless tours, firesides, speeches, etc.

(c) safe in his ivory tower at BYU, mocks the serious scholarship of serious scholars whose work contradicts his or the church's dogma -- for instance, Brian Hauglid

Highlights from guidelines on rank and status for BYU Humanities professors below.

TEACHING
https://humanities.BYU.edu/wp-content/u ... elines.pdf

B. The Typical Workload for Professorial Faculty.

1. Scholarship. Faculty members in professorial ranks are expected to be actively engaged in ongoing scholarship. While recognizing that publishing schedules are sometimes long and variable, chairs have the responsibility to ensure that scholarly activity is significant and sustained.

2. Teaching. Assignment to the professorial track in and of itself is insufficient to qualify for a reduced teaching load. However, professorial faculty who meet research expectations generally receive lower teaching loads than are assigned to professional faculty and are assigned to teach six courses during a ten month contract (based on the assumption that in most cases, these courses are three credit hours).

SCHOLARSHIP
https://humanities.BYU.edu/wp-content/u ... n-2018.pdf

2.4. Scholarly and Creative Work (“University Policy” 3.6-3.7).

2.4.1. Humanities scholars at BYU are expected to be active contributors to peer reviewed, published conversations on topics in the humanistic disciplines in ways that capitalize on their academic training and expertise and that typically address current issues and problems with which their disciplines and the larger academic community wrestle. Each discipline and sub-discipline has its own standards and models for consequential scholarship; the evaluation of scholarly projects, products, and publication venues is best left to the discriminating judgment of qualified peers in the field. The quality of the work (as measured by such factors as its substance, originality, soundness of methodology, and demonstrated impact on the field as provided by the candidate under review for promotion) is more important than the quantity or type. At the same time, the type of work should be appropriate to the scholar’s faculty development plan and to the needs of the department, and the quantity should be sufficient to “demonstrate consistent productivity” over the course of a career (“University Policy” 3.4.3). As a general rule, “consistent productivity” is understood in the College of Humanities to approximate the equivalent of one scholarly article published in a peer-reviewed journal of national or international reach per year.

2.4.2.2 Peer review is the fundamental criterion to be used to determine whether
or not published faculty research meets the scholarship expectations that come
with a professorial faculty appointment. Although the ways in which peer review
occurs and is administered may vary somewhat from discipline to discipline, the
objectivity of the peer review process is most evident when it is “double blind.”

2.4.2.3 Faculty are expected to publish their work with organizations and
presses that are respected by peers in their particular disciplines and that observe
high editorial and professional standards.

2.4.2.5 Papers and presentations delivered at reputable professional meetings are
meaningful scholarly activities.
They permit faculty to participate in productive
scholarly dialogue while becoming personally acquainted with other peer-scholars
who also contribute to that dialogue. But most important of all, conference
participation gives faculty an occasion to receive feedback from these peers on
work that will be turned into published pieces. ...

2.4.2.10 Electronic publications, including videos, compact disks, and web sites,
are not discounted simply because they appear in electronic form. Such work,
when presented as scholarship, should be judged by the same principles as apply
to the evaluation of printed scholarship, including peer review, intellectual
substance, originality, soundness of methodology, contribution to the field,
and
the identity and reputation of the publisher.

(emphasis added)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:01 am 
God

Stocks,

Thank you for your effort in providing an overview of DCP's scholarly accomplishments and reputation - such as they are. Your findings were a real surprise, so I had a look for myself.

Unlike Google Scholar which is tightening up their citation criteria, the criteria for ReserachGate (RG) do not require that cited publications originally appeared in peer reviewed journals. RG only requires that the citations themselves appear in published works. These criteria seem to be more aligned with the BYU criteria for 'scholarly and creative works' cited in your post.

For example, technical papers that are self-published on websites, with no peer review, and are then cited by others in published articles, are counted by RG. (We have well over 1,000 RG reads and dozens of peer reviewed literature citations for a single white paper posted on our company website, for example).

Given the fairly generous criteria for citations and reads picked up by ResearchGate, I found it unbelievable that DCP did not have a profile, citations and a read count on at least a few papers there, especially since he does have a Wikipedia page.

The only citation of DCP's work that I could find anywhere on the internet was the following, which was a link from what appeared to be a Springer Verlag ad:
Muhammad was undoubtedly one of the most influential men in history. Amid the swirl of
current judgments regarding Muslims and their religion, this book by Daniel Peterson offers
a concise, objective, accessible biography of the first Muslim. Blending the texts of traditional sources into an engaging narrative, Peterson begins with the impoverished and orphaned childhood of Muhammad, highlighting his evident strength of will, character, and …
Cited by 35 Related articles

Unbelievable.

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

Last edited by DrW on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:14 am 
Savior (resurrected)

Six three-hour courses per year is a full teaching load. It's only nine hours per week in front of students but preparation and grading take the most time in teaching. I think BYU is being reasonable in expecting only one paper per year on top of that, mostly getting done between semesters.

I also note, though, that BYU seems to count two more courses taught as equivalent to that one paper. So as far as honesty and fairness in earning his BYU salary is concerned, the question is not necessarily whether Peterson's apologetic outreach and blogging are equivalent to an annual scholarly paper. It could instead be whether they are equivalent to one more undergraduate course per semester.

And I'm not sure it would be crazy, from BYU's point of view, to say that they are. I think universities in general do sometimes see it as part of their mission to offer accessible education to the general public. Sometimes the universities also see public outreach as good advertising that will attract students and donors. So I think it's not so uncommon for some professors to be given teaching credit for outreach to the general public. Since BYU is a private institution with a religious base, maybe it is perfectly happy with Peterson's apologetic work as fulfilling one quarter of his duties as a professor (i.e. counting as two additional courses on top of his six actual ones).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:07 am 
God

Physics Guy wrote:
Six three-hour courses per year is a full teaching load. It's only nine hours per week in front of students but preparation and grading take the most time in teaching. I think BYU is being reasonable in expecting only one paper per year on top of that, mostly getting done between semesters.

I also note, though, that BYU seems to count two more courses taught as equivalent to that one paper. So as far as honesty and fairness in earning his BYU salary is concerned, the question is not necessarily whether Peterson's apologetic outreach and blogging are equivalent to an annual scholarly paper. It could instead be whether they are equivalent to one more undergraduate course per semester.

And I'm not sure it would be crazy, from BYU's point of view, to say that they are. I think universities in general do sometimes see it as part of their mission to offer accessible education to the general public. Sometimes the universities also see public outreach as good advertising that will attract students and donors. So I think it's not so uncommon for some professors to be given teaching credit for outreach to the general public. Since BYU is a private institution with a religious base, maybe it is perfectly happy with Peterson's apologetic work as fulfilling one quarter of his duties as a professor (i.e. counting as two additional courses on top of his six actual ones).

If DCP's apologetic outreach efforts are indeed considered to be a legitimate component of his duties as a university professor, it is all the more reason why his superordinates at BYU should be very concerned about the fact that his apologetic work products fall far short of adherence to BYU published standards of scholarship and ethical behavior.

If these administrators are doing their job, they are surely aware of the kind of legitimate criticism that DCP's work accrues on Mormon oriented sites such as MormonDiscussions.com and reddit. The fact that they take no action to correct the situation reflects poorly on BYU and the LDS Church in general.

47K+ page views of this thread on DCP's plagiarism, and 30K+ page views of 800+ negative comments on the paper by the Drs.Dale in DCP's Interpreter, are not indicative of a constituency that should be ignored by the LDS Church PR Department or its top leadership.

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:32 am 
God

Stocks wrote:
1. Scholarship. Faculty members in professorial ranks are expected to be actively engaged in ongoing scholarship.

Many are called to engage in ongoing scholarship, but few are chosen to be full-time apologists. Once you've been anointed by one of the Brethren, in that secret chamber in the bowels of the Maxwell Institute, to follow the path of apologetics - well, Dr. Peterson was under a holy obligation to forsake all else and do whatever was necessary to promote the faith.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:01 am 
Holy Ghost

Tom wrote:
Does anyone have easy access to the second edition of the Encyclopedia of Islam? I’d be interested to know if the material on the Muslimphilosophy webpage regarding “Nights” is simply a copy of the entry titled “Alf Layla wa-Layla” (credited to E. Littmann).

I've now gained access to the full Encyclopedia entry by Enno Littmann titled “Alf Layla wa-Layla” and compared it to the muslimphilosophy webpage material. They seem to be the same.

Thus, it appears that Dr. Peterson's post consists of material taken from the Encyclopedia of Islam without any attribution.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:47 am 
Savior (resurrected)

I think I misinterpreted Stocks's summary of BYU's expectations of faculty. It looks as if "professional" academic staff may be expected to teach extra courses instead of research but professors are all expected to be active in research. So it's less easy than I thought to let Peterson off the hook for not publishing anything for several years.
DrW wrote:
If DCP's apologetic outreach efforts are indeed considered to be a legitimate component of his duties as a university professor, it is all the more reason why his superordinates at BYU should be very concerned about the fact that his apologetic work products fall far short of adherence to BYU published standards of scholarship and ethical behavior.

And this is true in any case. It is indeed hard to see what value Peterson or his employer might think he is adding to the world with these minimally retouched versions of unsourced quotes. If you just read through them without any idea where they come from, they look like exactly the sort of learned and lucid recitation that one would want from a professor. So maybe Peterson's colleagues and superiors really think he is doing something more than just posting a few links every week—which is all that he would be doing if he were doing this honestly, since so many of his posts seem to be very slightly modified versions of other articles readily accessible online.

Peterson himself has to understand what he's doing, however. I don't understand why he keeps doing it. Even if he were a moustache-twirling villain he ought to realize it's dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:28 am 
God

I think one of the great lessons Mr. Peter$on has imparted to the casual observer is that attempting to be a polymath is akin to being everywhere, but nowhere at the same time. You spend all your mental energy attempting to impress, to con the unobservant into believing you're something you're not, only to wake up one day that you're 12 years older and you've produced nothing while parasitically nourishing yourself off the works of others.

Perhaps it's like the traveller who has spent his years abroad, and can find plenty of places where he finds hospitality, but never develops true friendships, friendships that fall apart once an imaginary line shifts, and the house across the street might as well be a state over.

Or perhaps it's trying to find nourishment from food having just been consumed, but is immediately vomited up. Quick-quoting written tomes that others have labored over does no one any real good because as soon as you publish stolen thoughts as your own you move on to the next nibble of food only to vomit it up as a blog post, never really having allowed the morsel to digest and become a part of the body, of your mind.

Mr. Peter$on is a conman. He's been plagiarizing others since he was a student at UCLA. Virtually everything he has written, from his dissertation to his blog at Sic et Non, is a pastiche of stolen ideas, unattributed work, and since the 90's hastily cobbled together internet searches re-worked into the illusion that he's the one having these genius moments, one after another, and thus the LDS church is somehow true and BYU is somehow justified at keeping him on the rolls.

- Doc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next