It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I got my plans I don't know about you (Stones concert!)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:56 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
I'll tell you exactly what Imma gonna do.

You can't always get what you want. But if you try some time, you just might find that you can snag tickets for some girls to spend the night together with THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND ON EARTH the one the only ROLLING STONES for the second and possibly only other time in your entire life one night this May.

Mick! Keith! I'm coming boys! Just stay alive until May!

Get in the groove and let the good times roll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCS3r1ToPHA

[/gloating]

Mmmm yeah.

:cool:

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:02 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 9360
Location: On walkabout
Awesome. Me, I'm going to Perfume. ;=)

_________________
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:20 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
Res Ipsa wrote:
Awesome. Me, I'm going to Perfume. ;=)

Perfume isn't coming to my area or I'd give it ago.

I'm so stinking happy I can't stand it! This was cooked up on my birthday earlier this month when I mentioned to the younger generation that I had toyed with the idea of taking them to see THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND ON EARTH but that I didn't think they'd care, when they jumped on it!

So...their first time and my last time to see them.

Dropped a pretty penny on tickets and I don't mean the nosebleed seats either! They're so worth it. I love them!

I might need binoculars...

:lol:

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:22 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
Oh look! Here they are Tumbling Dice in Jersey. With Bruce!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSjI7nCQbM

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:48 pm 
God

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am
Posts: 5380
Location: California
I'm glad that you get pleasure from hearing The Rolling Stones, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy their concert, but I don't share your high opinion of them. I have heard rock and roll music that I really enjoyed, but it is not really my thing. As far as rock and roll is concerned, I thought the Beetles were better, and some of their music was pure genius. I am particularly impressed with their Eleanor Rigby, especially versions of that tune arranged for a concert orchestra. I, personally, would not pay good money to hear a Rolling Stones concert, based on what little I have heard of their music. Perhaps I have just not heard their best. I would pay good money (and have paid good money) to hear groups like Pentatonix (I absolutely love their music and arrangements), Chanticleer, any good symphony orchestra or jazz group (among which one of my favorites is Cornet Chop Suey, based in St. Louis). Check any of them out on You Tube! You might particularly like Cornet Chop Suey's tribute to Louis Armstrong.

I also adore singers like Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho, Jayna Brown, Laura Bretan, and most especially the Norwegian soprano, Sissel, widely renowned as having the most beautiful and versatile singing voice and repertoire on earth. I would likely be willing to give a month's salary for the chance to hear Sissel sing in person and talk to her in her native Norwegian!

_________________
No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:10 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 9360
Location: On walkabout
I can’t get no! Hey hey hey! That’s what I say!

_________________
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:15 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
Oh, my friend...

Gunnar wrote:
I'm glad that you get pleasure from hearing The Rolling Stones, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy their concert, but I don't share your high opinion of them. I have heard rock and roll music that I really enjoyed, but it is not really my thing. As far as rock and roll is concerned, I thought the Beetles were better, and some of their music was pure genius. I am particularly impressed with their Eleanor Rigby, especially versions of that tune arranged for a concert orchestra. I, personally, would not pay good money to hear a Rolling Stones concert, based on what little I have heard of their music. Perhaps I have just not heard their best. I would pay good money (and have paid good money) to hear groups like Pentatonix (I absolutely love their music and arrangements), Chanticleer, any good symphony orchestra or jazz group (among which one of my favorites is Cornet Chop Suey, based in St. Louis). Check any of them out on You Tube! You might particularly like Cornet Chop Suey's tribute to Louis Armstrong.

I also adore singers like Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho, Jayna Brown, Laura Bretan, and most especially the Norwegian soprano, Sissel, widely renowned as having the most beautiful and versatile singing voice and repertoire on earth. I would likely be willing to give a month's salary for the chance to hear Sissel sing in person and talk to her in her native Norwegian!


Your taste in music is so respectable one could hardly argue with it and since I didn't intend for this thread to construct a debate between genres, I have something more to share.

Remember years ago when you thought I was a Fundie (still think that?) looking to condemn Mormonism and you (among others) helped translate Mormonism into Mainstream Christian-speak for me so that I could understand?

Let me return the favor. Please allow me to introduce you to the Stones in a language that might be more to your liking and that you can perhaps appreciate.

Consider it a gift. I love you friend. :-)

The Stones for Guys Who Don't Know Where the Groove Is or How To Find It


Paint It Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpYjjKrO2Bs

Paint It Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxEt95sOEB4

Paint It Black (London Symphony)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999u58jvS7E

She's a Rainbow (London Symphony)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO33_puPeOI

Jumpin' Jack Flash (London Symphony)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAKlngPeg_g

Gimme Shelter (London Symphony)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FrFzvPxVoc

Sympathy for the Devil (Strings only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_dTaKpFpFc

Sympathy for the Devil (London Symphony)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqxL_JaXNq8


Sympathy for the Devil
The Rolling Stones

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith
And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
I stuck around St. Petersberg
When I saw it was a time for a change
I killed the Czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain
I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the Blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
What's puzzling you is the nature of my game, oh yeah
I watched with glee as your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the Gods they made
I shouted out
"Who killed the Kennedy?"
When after all
It was you and me
So let me please introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached Bombay
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game, oh yeah
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you is just the nature of my game
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails just call me Lucifer
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse?
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game, oh baby
Oh yeah
Tell me baby, what's my name
Oh tell me honey, can you guess my name?
Oh oh oh oh
Tell me honey, what's my name
Oh, just the sweetest, tell me what's my name?
Tell me, sweetie, what's my name
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah
(Oh oh oh)
Can papa get a holler now?

Songwriters: JANN ARDEN RICHARDS,ROBERT FOSTER
© Abkco Music, Inc.
For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
Res Ipsa wrote:
I can’t get no! Hey hey hey! That’s what I say!


That song was popular the first time I went to see them in concert in Asbury Park with an Italian boy who sure knew how to come up with a great first date. We were so young, my mother had to drive us to Convention Hall and take us home again. If I am not mistaken, the opening act was the lesser known The Who. Not joking.

I'm very happy to see them again before we all fade away!

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:24 pm 
Founder & Visionary
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:07 pm
Posts: 13884
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
Res Ipsa wrote:
Awesome. Me, I'm going to Perfume. ;=)

And you'll beat me by precisely one week. I sure hope you'll be kind enough to give us an after action report.

_________________
"Belief is driven by psychology, not intelligence."

--Analytics, 09-11-2019


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:44 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
Dr. Shades wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Awesome. Me, I'm going to Perfume. ;=)

And you'll beat me by precisely one week. I sure hope you'll be kind enough to give us an after action report.



Get on topic.

^^^That's not red. Don't ban me!

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:12 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:29 pm
Posts: 4353
Location: The Yukon Hotel - 1187 Hunterwasser Los Angeles
I'd like to see Perfume be the opening act for the Stones. A weird cultural mashup, like "Harry Potter and the 50 Shades of Grey".

_________________
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:29 am 
God

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am
Posts: 5380
Location: California
Jersey Girl wrote:
Oh, my friend...

Gunnar wrote:
I'm glad that you get pleasure from hearing The Rolling Stones, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy their concert, but I don't share your high opinion of them. I have heard rock and roll music that I really enjoyed, but it is not really my thing. As far as rock and roll is concerned, I thought the Beetles were better, and some of their music was pure genius. I am particularly impressed with their Eleanor Rigby, especially versions of that tune arranged for a concert orchestra. I, personally, would not pay good money to hear a Rolling Stones concert, based on what little I have heard of their music. Perhaps I have just not heard their best. I would pay good money (and have paid good money) to hear groups like Pentatonix (I absolutely love their music and arrangements), Chanticleer, any good symphony orchestra or jazz group (among which one of my favorites is Cornet Chop Suey, based in St. Louis). Check any of them out on You Tube! You might particularly like Cornet Chop Suey's tribute to Louis Armstrong.

I also adore singers like Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho, Jayna Brown, Laura Bretan, and most especially the Norwegian soprano, Sissel, widely renowned as having the most beautiful and versatile singing voice and repertoire on earth. I would likely be willing to give a month's salary for the chance to hear Sissel sing in person and talk to her in her native Norwegian!


Your taste in music is so respectable one could hardly argue with it and since I didn't intend for this thread to construct a debate between genres, I have something more to share.

Remember years ago when you thought I was a Fundie (still think that?) looking to condemn Mormonism and you (among others) helped translate Mormonism into Mainstream Christian-speak for me so that I could understand?

Let me return the favor. Please allow me to introduce you to the Stones in a language that might be more to your liking and that you can perhaps appreciate.

Consider it a gift. I love you friend. :-)

The Stones for Guys Who Don't Know Where the Groove Is or How To Find It

Wow! What a gift! Thank you so much, you have made me a convert! I wish I could join you at that concert now!

Quote:

Double wow on this one! I love the Veridian String Quartet, which is part of the Veridian Orchestra. They are a local group that has often accompanied the Yuba Sutter Master Chorale group in which I sing as part of the tenor section. They are great in themselves!

You have opened my eyes and ears to the true genius of the Rolling Stones. I no longer think the Beetles were better than them. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sincerely, your dear friend,

Gunnar.

p.s. Did you get the PM I just sent you?

_________________
No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:03 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
Gunnar wrote:

You have opened my eyes and ears to the true genius of the Rolling Stones. I no longer think the Beetles were better than them. Thank you, thank you, thank you!


I'm happy that you liked the playlist! Let me indoctrinate you a little further in the direction of the groove. This is one of my favorites. I'll make a believer out of you yet! Milk before meat, I say! :lol:

Start here:

Beast of Burden (Cavern Sounds Orchestra)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXmqL-V6Q8M

Then go here: (Don't worry we're getting to the real thing)

Beast of Burden (Instrumental by the Rock Heroes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1_E99hFZg

Now here's the real groove:

Beast of Burden (The Rolling Stones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4

Rolling Stones Truth Claims

Rule #1. Keith Richards is the greatest riff man in Rock n' Roll.

Rule #2. Keith Richards creates the groove.

Rule #3. Keith Richards IS the groove.

:cool:

Quote:
Sincerely, your dear friend,

Gunnar.


You really are my dear friend. If it weren't for those old cross fire hurricanes we all went through, I would have never had the blessing of knowing you, Gunnar.

Quote:
p.s. Did you get the PM I just sent you?


Yes, I did read it last night. I replied first thing when I got on the board just prior to making this reply here. Don't worry if you see me putting up a series of posts to which I apply little thought. I'm just getting them out of my system before I clear the decks of the day and quiet my brain for a friend. :-)

FYI: Every single post I've made on this thread contains Stones lyrics, including this one. Kind of a little brain teaser/nod to the Stones that I embedded into my posts. I bet MeDot or Markk could pull them out with very little effort! ;-)

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:54 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:29 pm
Posts: 4353
Location: The Yukon Hotel - 1187 Hunterwasser Los Angeles
Gunnar wrote:
I'm glad that you get pleasure from hearing The Rolling Stones, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy their concert, but I don't share your high opinion of them. I have heard rock and roll music that I really enjoyed, but it is not really my thing. As far as rock and roll is concerned, I thought the Beetles were better, and some of their music was pure genius. I am particularly impressed with their Eleanor Rigby, especially versions of that tune arranged for a concert orchestra. I, personally, would not pay good money to hear a Rolling Stones concert, based on what little I have heard of their music.

Keep in mind that the producer of the most of the Beatles' recordings was George Martin, who had an extensive classical music background. It's instructive to listen to the Beatles produced by Phil Spector on Let It Be. For comparison, listen to the 'Let it Be - Naked' where you hear the music with all of Spector's syrupy orchestration. Or Free As a Bird, produced by ELO's Jeff Lynn (the music video is like an Easter Egg Hunt for Beatle fans).

The Beatles could be a lot more raw and unpolished. My favorite takes of I am the Walrus are the ones without all of the orchestration. Having said that, through 1967 the Stones were produced by Andrew Loog Oldham, a man with no prior experience as a record producer. If you ask me it shows. The early Stones recordings were poorly produced and engineered. The Beatles recordings were generally more polished, but part of that was by design by both groups.

George Harrison was a far more lyrical lead guitarist than Keith Richards. Keith's style is more primitive at first glance, but Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry are the only other guys who wrote as many great hooks as Keith Richards. After Start Me Up came out, it was pretty much the official song of NFL Kickoffs for a number of years.

For many years, my go-to guitar solo was Eric Clapton's Crossroads. More recently it's Keith Richard at the end of ____. Much less flashy than Clapton, but the repetition serves the purpose of driving the song.

But ultimately this is all subjective. The roots of rock are in blues, music that casts a spell, music that is hypnotic. Hypnotic effect is obtained by repetition, and if you are looking for virtuosity, that repetition can sound like a lack of it. I'm having a hard time describing this, but the closest thing I can come up with is that you listen to blues with a different part of your brain, a different part of musical consciousness.

_________________
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:22 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
MeDotOrg wrote:
But ultimately this is all subjective. The roots of rock are in blues, music that casts a spell, music that is hypnotic. Hypnotic effect is obtained by repetition, and if you are looking for virtuosity, that repetition can sound like a lack of it. I'm having a hard time describing this, but the closest thing I can come up with is that you listen to blues with a different part of your brain, a different part of musical consciousness.

Bless you! Yes!

Can you address how Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards exchange guitar positions in the same song and how/why Keith uses a 5 string guitar? I'm not musically articulate enough to do so.

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:44 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 4269
wonderful version of satisfaction by Mick on SNL
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... oke/n13522

Precision of both the notes and the rhythm, the alteration reveals the skeleton of classic rolling stones.

funny


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:03 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:12 am
Posts: 6274
Location: Arizona
How old is he now???

Mick Jagger (age 75) – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Jagger

_________________
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:51 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 4269
gunner, This is a bridge , blues, you might like. Or something closer to your taste that is closer to the blues that the Stones were inspired by. (closer not the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvOB8fmYGBU


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:22 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm
Posts: 9899
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sympathy for the Devil
The Rolling Stones



Songwriters: JANN ARDEN RICHARDS,ROBERT FOSTER

It's funny that you included these lyrics. As I started reading the thread and saw where you were going with it, this and Gimmie Shelter were the two songs that I thought of lyrically as representing what made the Stones such a treat to really listen to when I discovered them for myself as a teen in the early 90's.

But while I've heard of the Glimmer Twins, I've never seen the above as pseudonyms for Richards and Jagger but was pretty darn sure they wrote Sympathy. Could you enlighten me on this?

_________________
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:08 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 32031
Location: Planet Perfume
honor AFAIK that is not a representation of the Glimmer Twins, it's a misattribution from the website I took it from which was the first search hit I got to the lyrics.

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: I got my plans I don't know about you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:38 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:29 pm
Posts: 4353
Location: The Yukon Hotel - 1187 Hunterwasser Los Angeles
Jersey Girl wrote:
MeDotOrg wrote:

But ultimately this is all subjective. The roots of rock are in blues, music that casts a spell, music that is hypnotic. Hypnotic effect is obtained by repetition, and if you are looking for virtuosity, that repetition can sound like a lack of it. I'm having a hard time describing this, but the closest thing I can come up with is that you listen to blues with a different part of your brain, a different part of musical consciousness.


Bless you! Yes!

Can you address how Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards exchange guitar positions in the same song and how/why Keith uses a 5 string guitar? I'm not musically articulate enough to do so.

I'm not a guitar player (used to play the drums) so I'm not the best person to ask about the 5-string. Keith talked about it in his autobiography, but I honestly don't remember the details.

I'm totally blowing my own smoke here, but with respect to exchanging positions in the same song, I think that is a style that is not unique, but it is a lot more slinky and seductive.

A lot of Rock has duelling guitars, where the instruments seem to be having a conversation back and forth, each voice distinctive. Think of Joe Walsh and Don Henley on Hotel California.

A different style with Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards, or Eric Clapton and Rick Gretsch with Blind Faith, their music makes me think of a double-helix, 2 strands that are a part of the same chain, twirling around one another. Check out the style in Had to Cry Today.

Similar to Woods and Richards, but their work is a little more free form. With Richards though, it is never in service to his own virtuosity, it is always in service to the song.

_________________
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajax18, aussieguy55, Google [Bot], huckelberry, Majestic-12 [Bot], MeDotOrg and 69 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group