Redacted Mueller Report

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Redacted Mueller Report

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I know. I know. The Mueller Report is so last decade. But I’ve looked at something new that has changed my thinking.

Yesterday, there was a 1400 page document dump in response to a FOIA request. It consists of original and typed up notes of witness interviews in the Mueller investigation. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ocument/p3

I’ve read most of it. Two things jumped out at me. First, about 90% of the contents are redacted. Second, the unredacted text tracks pretty closely with my recollection of the Mueller Report. In other words, it looks to me like the Mueller Report is based on a small sliver of what was said in the witness interviews.

Which leads me to wonder: was Mueller precluded from disclosing, or even relying on, the redacted material when he prepared the report? Was his unwillingness to depart from the text of his report due to the fact that he knew a helluva lot more information than appears in the report but was not permitted to divulge based on assertions of privilege or national security and didn’t want to inadvertently disclose the restricted information? Was the stress of knowing more than he could disclose responsible for his tired and somewhat haggard appearance when he testified, as well as his expressed desire to be done with the whole issue?

Congress has been trying to get an undated version of the report, but the much more significant reactions may have been hidden to this point — in the evidence itself. Congress did not have these redacted transcript when Mueller testified. In fact, unless I’m missing something, Congress has never been supplied with the exhibits to the report.

Congress should subpoena Mueller, and perhaps his team, to find out whether he was precluded from using portions of the witness interviews in his report. If so, are the redacted transcripts representative of the material he was precluded from using. And, finally, did the inability to use the entire contents of the interviews have a material effect on the conclusions expressed in the report.

Right now, I’m just asking questions. But I have to say that this doesn’t smell good.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: Redacted Mueller Report

Post by _MeDotOrg »

First of all, kudos for even attempting to read the document. It gives me comfort to know that there are Woodwards and Bersteins out there who are willing to go through the library stacks.

Somebody needs to invent a formatting program that can remove all of the blank redactions, headers and footers. so that you can read those parts of the narrative that haven't been redacted so that they fit together, so you some sense of cohesive narrative flow.

It gives you pause to consider to carefully circumspect Mueller was in his description of the report.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Res Ipsa wrote:Yesterday, there was a 1400 page document dump in response to a FOIA request. . . I’ve read most of it.

How is it possible to read most of 1,400 pages in a single day??
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Yesterday, there was a 1400 page document dump in response to a FOIA request. . . I’ve read most of it.

1. The format of the release is a typed up version of notes followed by the original handwritten notes. I didn’t read the handwritten notes. I only read the typed version, which represented less than half of the total pages.

2. I estimated that 90% of the text was redacted. There were series of pages with no visible text at all.

3. So, divide 1400 by 2 and you get 700. Ten percent of 700 is 70. I’m a fast reader, so 70 pages is easily done in an afternoon.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

I have a copy presented by The Washington Post with introductions by Rosalind Helderman and Matt Zapotosky. I'dlike to find out how they treated McNabe that way. They have dropped the cast. Meanwhile he lost his pension and has been waiting two years for the result. Trump cries about Stone but McNabe has been treated badly.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

MeDotOrg wrote:First of all, kudos for even attempting to read the document. It gives me comfort to know that there are Woodwards and Bersteins out there who are willing to go through the library stacks.

Somebody needs to invent a formatting program that can remove all of the blank redactions, headers and footers. so that you can read those parts of the narrative that haven't been redacted so that they fit together, so you some sense of cohesive narrative flow.

It gives you pause to consider to carefully circumspect Mueller was in his description of the report.

Thanks. If I had a day to kill, I’d go through the Mueller Report and check each footnote to a witness interview to see if the information was visible or redacted. I think the text is searchable, so it might not be too tough.

Or I guess I could e-mail the appropriate House Committees and maybe Farenthold. He seems to be inclined to roll up his sleeves and dig for a story.

_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Every time a conservative cites the "Russia hoax" as evidence of mainstream media's unreliability, a little bit of my faith in humanity dies.

According to a unanimous, bipartisan report published two months ago by the Senate Intelligence Committee (10 Republicans, 9 Democrats), the intelligence community's assessment that Russia interfered in the 2016 election on Trump's behalf had a "coherent and well-constructed intelligence basis," was "properly represented," and "analysts were under no politically motivated pressure." The Steele Dossier "was not used ... to support any of its analytic judgments." The report finds that Russia did wage a propaganda campaign to influence the election, and that measures are needed to prevent this in the future.

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sit ... 0mKO4Lt0Ds
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

All out in the open. WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The No. 2 Justice Department official under President Barack Obama told Congress that before President Donald Trump’s inauguration, his national security adviser Michael Flynn told a Russian diplomat Trump would “essentially neutralize” sanctions imposed on Russia for alleged 2016 U.S. election interference.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN2512S2
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:53 am
90% redacted, so...
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Subgenius!

https://ibb.co/PWk0XHz

- Doc