Kobe Bryant Basketball Legend Dead

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Kobe Bryant Basketball Legend Dead

Post by _Lemmie »

Philo Sofee wrote:He died in a helicopter crash with his 13 year old daughter. They were going to a basketball function of some kind. I saw it on the news during the Pro Bowl.

My son called this morning and told us, he was devastated. So very sad.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

My heart goes out to Kobe's family, especially to his wife and other daughters. More than anything, I can't help but think of the loss of his 13-year-old daughter in the crash whose life was ahead of her. As a father, I empathize with that where my own passing after plenty of life lived would be nothing compared to that of losing my daughter.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

ajax18 wrote:
I believed engaged in some form of sexual assault as outlined in this Wiki article:

How did Kobe get away with this in a country with a legal/judicial system that is so systemically racist against African Americans?

It's also systematically biased in favor of rich people. The way these on-average biases play out in individual cases is part of the glorious wonder that is our carceral state.

Anyway, this news was quite shocking.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I think Kobe is unquestionably a hall of fame player, but I never cared for his game. I thought it was a little too much about Kobe, especially in his last year. The Lakers could have been a better team if they hadn't played the season as the Kobe farewell tour. His last game said it all: 60 points, but Kobe took more shots than anyone in the last 30 seasons to do it, and the Lakers lost.

The rape allegations that Ajax mentioned were serious and credible.

I know that he appeared to have settled down and had a good relationship with his family. His death is certainly a tragedy. His legend, as subgenius noted, will certainly live on. I just wish there was a little more selflessness in the legend.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

ajax18 wrote:Was Kobe a rapist? Anyone want to take a poll on whether the accuser was telling the truth?

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment ... ing-death/

don't speak ill of the dead, especially before their wake. It gathers no integrity nor "points" for you. It serves only your ego, nothing more.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

MeDotOrg wrote:I think Kobe is unquestionably a hall of fame player, but I never cared for his game. I thought it was a little too much about Kobe, especially in his last year. The Lakers could have been a better team if they hadn't played the season as the Kobe farewell tour. His last game said it all: 60 points, but Kobe took more shots than anyone in the last 30 seasons to do it, and the Lakers lost.

The rape allegations that Ajax mentioned were serious and credible.

I know that he appeared to have settled down and had a good relationship with his family. His death is certainly a tragedy. His legend, as subgenius noted, will certainly live on. I just wish there was a little more selflessness in the legend.

Jordan was a notorious dick, and from what I can see hasn't really changed that much. His acceptance speech into the Hall of Fame is notorious for it's pettiness and inability to take a bow without throwing an elbow at everyone he assumed to be a hater. To Kobe's credit, he congratulated LeBron for passing him on the all-time scoring list just the day before his untimely death. If he can have that as a coda to his life - that he perhaps learned to give to the upcoming generation - then I could at least appreciate his evolution after competition.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jesse Jackson Jr
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Jackson Jr »

It's also systematically biased in favor of rich people. The way these on-average biases play out in individual cases is part of the glorious wonder that is our carceral state.

The only reason Kobe was charged with rape was because this racist country isn't comfortable with a black man having sex with a white woman. They just said that because he was black.
“It's not logical that we boast the most advanced and powerful internationally integrated economy in the world, then claim organizational incompetence and poverty when it comes to creating and funding a national health care system for all Americans.”
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Jesse Jackson Jr wrote:

The only reason Kobe was charged with rape was because this racist country isn't comfortable with a black man having sex with a white woman. They just said that because he was black.

Classy, Ajax. Never miss an opportunity to go racist. :rolleyes:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Jesse Jackson Jr wrote:The only reason Kobe was charged with rape was because this racist country isn't comfortable with a black man having sex with a white woman. They just said that because he was black.

But according to the data

"Black men are twice as likely as black women to intermarry"
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/05 ... age-00-03/
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

honorentheos wrote:My heart goes out to Kobe's family, especially to his wife and other daughters. More than anything, I can't help but think of the loss of his 13-year-old daughter in the crash whose life was ahead of her. As a father, I empathize with that where my own passing after plenty of life lived would be nothing compared to that of losing my daughter.

True. So heart-breaking.