Is Sean Hannity Responsible for 174 deaths?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated G through PG-13.
subgenius
God

Re: Is Sean Hannity Responsible for 174 deaths?

Post by subgenius »

honorentheos wrote:
It's caused Russian news agencies to shift focus away from criticism of the US for killing Soleimani to defending ...

It has so caused many Dem/Libs who were mourning Soleimani to suddenly shut up about that.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Which Libs were mourning Soleimani?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

EAllusion
God

Post by EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:
honorentheos wrote:
It's caused Russian news agencies to shift focus away from criticism of the US for killing Soleimani to defending ...

It has so caused many Dem/Libs who were mourning Soleimani to suddenly shut up about that.

I can't think of any Democrats/Libs "mourning" Soleimani. I can think of a bunch who criticized his assassination as reckless, dangerous to US interests, and a violation of important international norms, but that's not "mourning." I can also think of a bunch of Republicans who dishonestly tried to conflate criticizing assassinating him with somehow supporting him. But, since you aren't just aping their scurrilous dishonesty, you'll have no problem naming several prominent Democrats or liberals who did this starting....now.

EAllusion
God

Post by EAllusion »

honorentheos wrote:Internal protests in Iran is the leading story on Al Jazeera right now.

https://www.aljazeera.com/

It's caused Russian news agencies to shift focus away from criticism of the US for killing Soleimani to defending their ally, in part by blaming Ukraine for the accident. Western allies concerned with seeing tensions relieved have turned to calling for Iran to account for the killing of civilians. It exposed a riff between the elite Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the conventional military. It was about as bad a play as Iran could have made at a time they seemed to have won the global opinion game by not targeting US troops with their missile strikes. They were manuevering pretty well up to that, and it was a serious mistake. Giving Hannity credit for it seems...well. Yes, it's a tragedy. But in the game of thrones that is global politics it's a positive event for the US.

None of this shows a shift in public opinion. That's what I'm looking for. Since Iran isn't particularly well liked internationally and there is a reasonable basis for blaming the US's actions for what happened, I'm curious if there was the shift you surmised happened. It's entirely possible that opinion of Iran stayed about where it was while opinion of the US did the same or got worse. I'm just looking for evidence is all.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

So, reading through a lot of the chatter on the interwebz, apparently the flight out of the airport was delayed an hour and it's probable the Iranian government had a breakdown in communication between the air traffic control and the air defense command.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

subgenius
God

Post by subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:So, reading through a lot of the chatter on the interwebz, apparently the flight out of the airport was delayed an hour and it's probable the Iranian government had a breakdown in communication between the air traffic control and the air defense command.

- Doc

And some would have us believe Iran has the military and political competence capable of being a formidable force towards a WW3?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

edit: Also see 20th and 21st century insurgencies. But I don't know why I'm responding to subgenius because he's a metaphor for an inferior force holding out against a superior one. *shrugs*

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

edit: Also see 20th and 21st century insurgencies. But I don't know why I'm responding to subgenius because he's a metaphor for an inferior force holding out against a superior one. *shrugs*

He also seems blissfully unaware of how ‘world wars’ aren’t fought between just two countries.

Aside that, the story of the Millennium Challenge has always been one of my favorites. I’ve always admired Van Riper’s cleverness in that.

MeDotOrg
God

Post by MeDotOrg »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I guess where I’m confused is that there’s an airport RIGHT THERE. If the video is to be believed, the airplane was ascending away from the airport, which you’d totally see on radar, so I have no idea why a SAM site cdr would authorize a shot. 4/chan conspiratards are claiming there were informants on the flight who were leaving the country, but, you know, 4/chan. I guess where I’m hung up is why in the world do you shoot down a single aircraft clearly taking off from an airport?

- Doc

A civilian airliner is a big fat slow moving target with no counter-measures. If I had to guess what happened, it would be that there are more militias with shoulder-launched SAMs than there are competent operators of SAMs. Because of the number of different militias in Iraq, I would imagine there is less command and control.

So my hunch would be that an under-trained and over-enthusiastic member of some auxiliary militia group pulled the trigger. Just my guess.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land

EAllusion
God

Post by EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:So, reading through a lot of the chatter on the interwebz, apparently the flight out of the airport was delayed an hour and it's probable the Iranian government had a breakdown in communication between the air traffic control and the air defense command.

- Doc

And some would have us believe Iran has the military and political competence capable of being a formidable force towards a WW3?

The people worried about WWIII don't imagine it being Iran vs. the US. The imagine that alliance entanglements bring in more powerful nations like Russia.

I think this is an unlikely, if not impossible, scenario. Iran will not be easily conquered and held, though, and crowing about the countless lives and trillions of dollars lost on folly because it's not quite WWIII is pig-headed.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

EAllusion wrote:Has global opinion turned against them?

The majority of the world opinion that Trump is both dangerous and insane holds steady at 70%. However, if you change the wording to dangerous and narcissistic the percentage rises to 98%.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I guess where I’m confused is that there’s an airport RIGHT THERE. If the video is to be believed, the airplane was ascending away from the airport, which you’d totally see on radar, so I have no idea why a SAM site cdr would authorize a shot. 4/chan conspiratards are claiming there were informants on the flight who were leaving the country, but, you know, 4/chan. I guess where I’m hung up is why in the world do you shoot down a single aircraft clearly taking off from an airport?

- Doc

A civilian airliner is a big fat slow moving target with no counter-measures. If I had to guess what happened, it would be that there are more militias with shoulder-launched SAMs than there are competent operators of SAMs. Because of the number of different militias in Iraq, I would imagine there is less command and control.

So my hunch would be that an under-trained and over-enthusiastic member of some auxiliary militia group pulled the trigger. Just my guess.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51081833

How did the Iranian admission unfold?
For three days, Iran denied reports its missiles had brought down the plane, with one spokesman accusing Western nations of "lying and engaging in psychological warfare".
But on Saturday morning, a statement read on state TV accepted the plane had been shot down.
Brig-Gen Amir Ali Hajizadeh, the Revolutionary Guards' aerospace commander, explained what happened.
He said a missile operator had acted independently and alone, mistaking the plane for a "cruise missile".
"He had 10 seconds to decide. He could have decided to strike or not to strike and under such circumstances he took the wrong decision," Gen Hajizadeh said.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

I do mourn for those poor people on that plane. I saw on some website (I can't remember which one) and it had pictures of the individuals. Man, just sad, sad stuff. I don't know what to make of it all sometimes. :/

- Doc

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

There was an incident from the 1991 Persian Gulf War that came to mind. It involved the HMS Glouchester shooting down an Iraqi Silkworm antiship missile with seconds to spare. The story behind it is used in discussions over split second decision making, and I suspected this incident in Iran was a mirror of that one. Sorry this is a link to some pages from a Google book, but it's a reasonable account if interested:

https://books.google.com/books?id=7f3QA ... re&f=false
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Apparently the GOP's bestie has legitimate concerns about a war in the Middle East, too:

https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb/pu ... atastrophe

Putin was responding to a question about U.S.-Iranian tensions after the targeted killing of a Iranian general Qassem Soleimani in Iraq and the downing of a Ukrainian passenger jet near Tehran by a missile that Iran said was fired in error. “We would like to avoid major military actions,” Putin said. “If this happens, it will be a catastrophe not only for the Middle East region but for the whole

Kek. He's so stoopid. What a snowflake. What an emotional hair fire. Kek.

- Doc

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

moksha wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Has global opinion turned against them?

The majority of the world opinion that Trump is both dangerous and insane holds steady at 70%. However, if you change the wording to dangerous and narcissistic the percentage rises to 98%.

I'd vote for dangerous and narcissistic but could be easily convinced of insanity if he pulls another one of these knee jerk reactions. One wonders what those in charge of briefing the president are thinking now? Do we tell him everything? Where's the nuke button? Should we have Johnson placed between the President and the nuke button whenever briefings occur in the future? Why aren't the politicians impeaching him for Solemanni?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen