It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: METAGAME THREAD - Stuff for the RPG Thread Out of Narrat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm 
God

Been busy entertaining friends from out of town. I’m still interested, but my dance card is pretty full until after Labor Day.

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 pm 
God

No worries for my part, Res. I'm fine letting this play out at whatever pace works for people's lives and schedules.

Perhaps it's easiest to add a few lines to this thread regarding the intention behind the characters whenever anyone has a moment. I'd hope people don't feel obligated to make anything overly complicated or feel the need to write a mini novel either. It's just meant to be fun and carry a story along handing it off between perspectives anyway. Perhaps a few others will jump in. Or not. Whatever people feel comfortable doing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:36 pm 
God

Hey Schmo, I ret-coned out something I think was a mistake on my part of the narrative. I had referred to Zandor as a paladin rather than a cleric without thinking but in rereading today I realized the mace and healing focus likely meant he was not a paladin.

One concern I have without knowing the nature of the campaign is we lack any melee tank characters at present. If anyone wants to jump in but is unsure what to do or wants ideas for a character, a fighter or paladin class would be well suited to bump the party where it needs it most. And they can be played so many ways though the fighter is the more flexible the paladin is probably the tankiest class. You just have to be down with playing someone who has something they take way too seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:06 am 
God

When you guys put together your Heroes RPG story, feel free to use the idea of a quest to obtain the Strom Thurmond Bow. Once you have the bow, if you dip an obsidian arrow into Trump's skin bronzer and fire it at the sun... doing so could theoretically block the sun for an entire week, thereby lessening the effects of global warming. Sounds a bit like classical Reformed Romulan.

Just a thought. :eek:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:49 am 
God

honorentheos wrote:
Hey Schmo, I ret-coned out something I think was a mistake on my part of the narrative. I had referred to Zandor as a paladin rather than a cleric without thinking but in rereading today I realized the mace and healing focus likely meant he was not a paladin.

Absolutely correct. Zandor is a goody two shoes cleric.

honorentheos wrote:
One concern I have without knowing the nature of the campaign is we lack any melee tank characters at present. If anyone wants to jump in but is unsure what to do or wants ideas for a character, a fighter or paladin class would be well suited to bump the party where it needs it most. And they can be played so many ways though the fighter is the more flexible the paladin is probably the tankiest class. You just have to be down with playing someone who has something they take way too seriously.

Yes, that would help, although since we're likely not going to be doing any actual rolled combat and just writing out the adventure, we could find creative ways around not having a tank.

ETA: In fact, Zandor could off tank in a pinch. Gotta love them armor wearing healers!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:31 am 
God

by the way, honor, loving Yearn's stuff.

This is good fun, man.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am 
God

So, Zeb is a student of magic. He showed great promise as an artificer, attending a prestigious magic academy. For reasons that I’m still mulling over, he quit the academy and became a tinker, using his artificer skills to enhance the tools of his trade. He claims to be all about the coin, but he’s actually motivated by solving difficult problems, no matter how small or trivial.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:48 pm 
God

Is Zeb a gnome, RI?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:51 pm 
God

Perfume on my Mind wrote:
Is Zeb a gnome, RI?

Nope. Boring old human.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:48 pm 
God

I have separate questions for both Schmo and Res.

For Res - Do you intend to have Zeb join the party the same day as Yearn and Zandor arrived or are you thinking you'll wait for the next day? If he is arriving the same day, I will just plan on waiting. Yearn's next bit is after dark I think.

For Schmo - I intend to make Yearn's next part of the story include his returning the letter he took to Capt. Jasper's tent. I'm curious if you have thoughts on anything that would be interesting to have him encounter there or discover that would tie into the story arc as you are imagining it taking place? My thought being he might find a map or perhaps another letter opened and left where he could read it that might either serve as a plot point or, perhaps as a misdirection. Could you share a thought or two about what that thing might be?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:55 pm 
God

I'm also wondering about starting a second character? My idea is that they would be a fighter who is trying to become a bard but can't sing or play music to save his life. Nor can he do magic. He's all tank with a lute; an Apollyonic, good looking jock of a guy who by all rights should be dressed like a knight and swinging a two-handed sword (which he still has,...). But his backstory would be comic in that he had someone once tell him in jest he sang rather well while drunk (it is REALLY bad singing, almost to the point it COULD be magical in it's ability to force a willpower save or cause creatures and people to flee...) and it turned out in his heart he really, REALLY does want to be a renowned musician so he takes up the lute and heads out. He ends up in Harlot's Cross immediately after making this crazy decision to quit his good paying but boring job and follow his dream...

What do you think? Or if someone else out there wanted to jump in, this seems like a fun addition to our rather stoic party.

ETA: Or possibly he could be a quasi-NPC that anyone can use for discussion with their own character to move a narrative point forward? Kinda like we're using Jasper now but intended to become a member of the party? He is meant to be a bit dense, not realizing he is a bad singer and that all he needs to do is follow his bliss and eventually the gods will just HAVE to make him a renown bard. I'm thinking there is a bit of irony in his future that he could very well become infamous as a bard for being such a dedicatedly bad musician. Most of what would be story time in D&D he would be a lunkhead who would be kept busy with random unimportant tasks to prevent him from practicing his lute playing and singing. But once combat occurred, he'd naturally move to being a brutish killing machine who takes for granted that he's good at it so he doesn't realize he should give up the attempt to become a bard and keep in his obvious lane. Thoughts on that idea are welcome as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:01 pm 
God

As described above, I added Sir Francis Boden ("Your name is Francis? <choking sound>") to the story with the intent he could be a useful NPC party member for multiple reasons. He can be the tank when someone needs a conflict scene, or lunkhead to bounce dialog off of when it isn't realistic that the PC players can dialog in our format.

He might be more of a dick than I initially intended. The combination of great fighter but oblivious to being a bad singer kinda pulled him that way but I think it can be dialed back as he is supposed to be fairly simple in thought so he mostly reacts rather than acts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:52 am 
God

I need to get back to this, honor. My time is sparse this week and I've just been doing quick hits here at the forum. I'll need to spend some time considering your stuff.