Covington Kids Exonerated from Wrong-doing

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bach
_Emeritus

Covington Kids Exonerated from Wrong-doing

Post by _Bach »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... story.html

Does anyone here believe those who were quick to judge should be offering apologies to these young men or believe biased beliefs, emotions and disgusting insults should just be accepted?

Seriously interested.
_Bach
_Emeritus

Re: Covington Kids Exonerated from Wrong-doing

Post by _Bach »

Not surprised by the continued ignorance of those here who were quick to trash these admirable young men. But have to admit that I am more than astonished that all those hypocrites here are just not willing to step up and apologize. May be an issue for shades in the long run,
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Deputy Bach is on the case!

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Bach wrote:Not surprised by the continued ignorance of those here who were quick to trash these admirable young men. But have to admit that I am more than astonished that all those hypocrites here are just not willing to step up and apologize. May be an issue for shades in the long run,

What the is so admirable about "It isn't rape if you enjoy it"?

Exonerate typically means to declare innocent, but there simply wasn't enough audio evidence to determine whether or not anyone was saying "build the wall" which is what their school was looking into. You make it seem like they were on trial for their lives or something.

I mean it wasn't like a full page ad was calling for their executions over a crime in which DNA evidence exonerated them, and the right wing nutjob of a President still maintains they're guilty even to this day, because... he has a feeling about these things. Seems to me that any with any sense of morality would be protesting that fit of misjustice. But, we know those were five black kids, and well, White privilege strikes again.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Kevin Graham wrote:What the is so admirable about "It isn't rape if you enjoy it"?

This is what's on the video:

Black Hebrew Israelite (after numerous homophobic slurs yelled at the teens): He is a product of sodomy and he is proud!
Kid: It's not rape if you enjoy it!
BHI: See that?!
Someone off-camera: He does not go to Covington High!

Exonerate typically means to declare innocent, but there simply wasn't enough audio evidence to determine whether or not anyone was saying "build the wall" which is what their school was looking into.

There is evidence. It was the BHIs yelling "Build the wall!," not the teens.

One of the Native Americans is clearly seen and heard making a racial slur against one of the teens, telling him to go back to Europe because he's white.

Those kids are going to sue at least a few celebrities and media organizations, and they are going to get settlements because these organizations will not want discovery to make their back room discussions public, showing that they rushed to judgment and ignored / massaged evidence.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

A detective agency hired by the diocese to cover their butt found that after interviewing the kids who denied doing nothing wrong, that the smirking young man and others did nothing wrong.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

MsJack wrote:Black Hebrew Israelite (after numerous homophobic slurs yelled at the teens): He is a product of sodomy and he is proud!
Kid: It's not rape if you enjoy it!
BHI: See that?!
Someone off-camera: He does not go to Covington High!

1. There was much more said among the two groups but I wasn't able to discern even half of it. One phrase was partially loud and discernable: "Alright sir, what have I told you, I take yuiuyu iyuoiygj fhgfg" I can't make out the last part but it made kids laugh and clap for a split second before we hear "it's its not rape if you enjoy it." I think this comment should be understood in the context of the anti-abortion protest, not the BHI's remark about Trump being the product of sodomy.

2. According to some Twitter users the boy who made that remark has been identified as a student of Owensboro Catholic School and was there for the abortion march. Does it really matter what schools any of these kids attended? They were there in solidarity as a group to protest abortion.

MsJack wrote:One of the Native Americans is clearly seen and heard making a racial slur against one of the teens, telling him to go back to Europe because he's white.

Sure, but the entirety of that exchange isn't recorded and that kid also mocked the indigenous people by telling them they're not indigenous. That in and of itself is racially insensitive and worthy of being reprimanded by a Catholic school. So is standing in the way of an elderly person and engaging him in a 3 minute stare down. I'm 48 years old and I still open doors for folks older than me and my kids do the same. Whatever happened to "Make America Great Again"? Kids respecting their elders used to be common.

MsJack wrote:Those kids are going to sue at least a few celebrities and media organizations, and they are going to get settlements because these organizations will not want discovery to make their back room discussions public, showing that they rushed to judgment and ignored / massaged evidence.

Given the white privilege here, this wouldn't surprise me. A bunch of white baby faced teens getting trips to the White House and becoming heroes while five black kids are falsely accused of rape and murder by a billionaire President who calls for their execution even decades after they were exonerated. Yes, let's keep our priorities straight and idolize these poor MAGA hat wearing idiots as "admirable" good Christian boys. Those other boys? Well, they're black and poor. They don't get that privilege.

I don't think people "rushed to judgment," I think they made reasonable conclusions based on available evidence. I saw it reported when it happened and there was usually the caveat "appeared to be."

"MAGA teens appear to be confronting..." If the Native American reported hearing "build the wall" then there is nothing illegal about reporting that, and there is still no proof the kids didn't say this. It is simply impossible to know without more video/audio evidence what every one of those kids said during that incident. For all you know they did say it and there is a video of it recorded by one of the kids who deleted it from his phone. In which case, you're "rushing to judgment" in the same exact way the media was accused of rushing to judgment.

The only thing I think anyone really got wrong was the assumption that the Native Americans were minding their own business when a crowd of MAGA teens suddenly surrounded them and got in their faces. But that narrative was played out mostly in social media. It was deduced from a short video clip uploaded by one of the teens (if I'm not mistaken) and this was the general conclusion among everyone, not just leftists.

At the time it was first reported even FOX News was reporting on it the same way as other outlets because the evidence available seemed to tell that story. Many Trump supporters I know on Facebook were disgusted by the incident as well. Had more footage never come to light they'd still be disgusted. So this wasn't some Left Wing smear campaign that manipulated video evidence to ignore overall context. If we want to see examples of this kind of thing, there is always FOX News and Brietbart.

At the end of the day, this is really a very stupid thing to keep talking about. But idiots like Bach have to keep milking it for as long as they can given the dumpster fire of a presidency we have right now. Anything to distract from that is a win in their book.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Kevin Graham wrote:1. There was much more said among the two groups but I wasn't able to discern even half of it.

I was able to discern plenty. The BHIs were the instigators and on the whole, the Covington kids did not respond in kind.

Kevin Graham wrote:Does it really matter what schools any of these kids attended?

It does when students from Covington who weren't even at the rally have been getting death threats, yes. But someone there thought it was important to point out that he wasn't a regular part of the group and his views don't reflect theirs, so it matters. I didn't hear anyone make such qualifications when it came to the ugly things said by the Native Americans or the BHIs (mostly the BHIs).

Kevin Graham wrote:They were there in solidarity as a group to protest abortion.

So? They're Catholics. Catholics are religiously pro-life. They have a right to peacefully protest their religious beliefs.

Now I think sending kids from an all-male religious school to protest something that primarily involves women is a little weird. It'd be like if an all-girls Jewish school sent its girls to a pro-circumcision rally.

But, this is run-of-the-mill Roman Catholic stuff. Not nationally noteworthy.

Kevin Graham wrote:Sure, but the entirety of that exchange isn't recorded and that kid also mocked the indigenous people by telling them they're not indigenous.

No, the kid responded to the "go back to Europe" slur (clearly meant to be the white parallel of "Go back to Africa") by pointing out that Native Americans aren't really from North America either, so the Native American guy started it. By the way, at this point in the exchange, the much-maligned Nick Sandmann reached over and tapped his friend's shoulder in an apparent effort to warn him that he was starting to be disrespectful.

But he's got a "punchable face," so let's not give him any credit.

Kevin Graham wrote:Given the white privilege here

Yes, I would say wealthy predominantly-white celebrities and news reporters using their considerable platforms in an attempt to instigate violence against a group of minors is quite the exercise in "white privilege."

I'm not denying that Trump is racist or that other non-white teenagers have been and are being treated very poorly. I'm not denying that the reason the tables have now turned and the Covington kids have been exonerated and may see comeuppance in court is because they're (mostly) white and wealthy. They've got one hell of a defamation attorney working for them and having defeated a defamation lawsuit myself, I can tell you they're not cheap.

But the Covington kids themselves are not responsible for that. They did absolutely nothing worthy of national attention.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

moksha wrote:A detective agency hired by the diocese to cover their butt found that after interviewing the kids who denied doing nothing wrong, that the smirking young man and others did nothing wrong.

Moksha, we go way back and I always enjoy your presence on the board even if I rarely reply because your posts are such nicely self-contained bits of humor. I do think this one is off, though. The kid in the video didn't do anything wrong and it would be best to acknowledge a lot of people jumped to the wrong conclusions.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Bach wrote:Does anyone here believe those who were quick to judge should be offering apologies to these young men . . .

Yes.

. . . or believe biased beliefs, emotions and disgusting insults should just be accepted?

No.

May be an issue for shades in the long run,

I'm just a-shakin' in my boots.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley