It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What I learned today!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:41 am 
God

Thanks to Jersey Girl I learned today that the Rolling Stones are better and more versatile musicians than I had heretofore realized. Some of their music is positively brilliant. My formerly highly negative opinion of them as musicians is gone. They will probably never be my favorite musical group of all time, but they have produced some very listenable and enjoyable music.

No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:24 pm 
God

In France, Germany, Austria, Spain and the Netherlands - They serve beer in McDonald's.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:50 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Today I learned about Eugene Schieffelin. He wanted to introduce all of the birds mentioned in Shakespeare to the United States. In 1890-91, he released a total of 100 European Starlings in Central Park. That original 100 grew to over 200 million starlings in North America. He was also responsible for introducing the House Sparrow to the U.S. The other birds of the bard didn’t catch on.

All the world’s a cage, and the men and women in it, but ornithologists.

http://thememorypalace.us/2019/03/sixty-starlings/

Thanks for the background! They are horribly damaging and invasive birds, which I learned shortly after getting married and visiting my sister in law, an avid birder and gardener, in a very rural part of upstate New York.

When I asked her what the 22 on the window sill was for, her response was a very matter of fact, "for getting rid of those ****** starlings."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:55 pm 
God

In Jamaica, sex between men is a crime punishable up to ten years' imprisonment. But lesbian action is allowed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:58 pm 
God

MeDotOrg wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
I learned that you might not be able to power up your gas furnace with a generator during a bomb cyclone blizzard with 95 mph wind gusts because of dirty sine waves so you should just eat chips in bed with a hat on.

Yes I have cabin fever.

The descriptions I have heard of people walking 2 blocks to the store sound like Jack London's To Build a Fire.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:16 am 
God

I just learned that
Quote:
María del Carmen Tun Cho, a 46-year-old q’eqchi Mayan woman and mother of six, ran the Los Angeles Marathon on Sunday in the traditional clothing—including sandals—of her hometown in the Guatemalan department of Alta Verapaz.

She finished with a time of 4 hours 47:22 minutes which is a bit over 11 minutes per mile. That's actually pretty awesome.

- Doc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 am 
Charlatan

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I just learned that
Quote:
María del Carmen Tun Cho, a 46-year-old q’eqchi Mayan woman and mother of six, ran the Los Angeles Marathon on Sunday in the traditional clothing—including sandals—of her hometown in the Guatemalan department of Alta Verapaz.

She finished with a time of 4 hours 47:22 minutes which is a bit over 11 minutes per mile. That's actually pretty awesome.

- Doc

Those pesky Lamanites.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:18 am 
God

The official General Motors terminology for the holes in the front fenders of Buicks is Cruiserline Ventiports.

- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:48 pm 
Charlatan

Pretty cool...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/bla ... -telescope

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:46 pm 
God

Markk wrote:

Cool, indeed.

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 am 
Charlatan

The "donut" is estimated to be 20 billion miles accross...that is just mind boggling, and when compared to the rest of space puts infinity into perspective...at least for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:55 am 
God

This hideous monstrosity could have been the Golden Gate Bridge:

This was the bridge as it was originally proposed by its designer, Joseph Strauss. It was politely suggested the design was too fugly for words and asked that it be reviewed. The bridge as you see it today is the result of the input of 3 men: primarily Charles Alton Ellis, with additional input from Leon Moisseiff and Irving Foster Murrow, who decided to keep the primer shade known as International Orange as the color. Before Murrow's color suggestion, the Department of War was worried that war ships could crash into the towers and wanted the bridge painted yellow and black:

The Golden Gate Bridge appears designed from a single piece of cloth. It looks like the work of visionary Ayn Rand hero, rather than a committee design. But it's the other way around.

There was considerable opposition to the bridge. Southern Pacific Railroad, which ran the ferry service taking cars across the bay, filed over 2,000 lawsuits trying to halt its construction. The Department of War was worried that bombing the bridge could collapse the towers into the strait, blocking whatever portion of the Pacific Fleet was inside the harbor.

- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:52 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Today I learned about Eugene Schieffelin. He wanted to introduce all of the birds mentioned in Shakespeare to the United States. In 1890-91, he released a total of 100 European Starlings in Central Park. That original 100 grew to over 200 million starlings in North America. He was also responsible for introducing the House Sparrow to the U.S. The other birds of the bard didn’t catch on.

All the world’s a cage, and the men and women in it, but ornithologists.

http://thememorypalace.us/2019/03/sixty-starlings/

Thanks for the background! They are horribly damaging and invasive birds, which I learned shortly after getting married and visiting my sister in law, an avid birder and gardener, in a very rural part of upstate New York.

When I asked her what the 22 on the window sill was for, her response was a very matter of fact, "for getting rid of those ****** starlings."

Perhaps so, but even they can be quite endearing sometimes. See: Arnie the Darling Starling
Quote:
This true story of a talking starling and the grandmother who raised him is as heartwarming a book as you will ever read - a new classic in the tradition of Rascal, Born Free, and That Quail, Robert.

When Margarete first came upon Arnie, he was just a familiar springtime sight: a baby bird lying helpless in the daisy patch. After unsucessfully trying to return him to the nest, she took him into her Texas home and raised him as carefully as she had raised her own child, teaching him to perch, to fly, even to talk. Arnie resisted all attempts to restore him to the wild, preferring steak and canned corn to worms, which frightened him, and even developing a taste for wine.

Most astonishing of all, he learned to talk and sing, and he had a remarkable influence on a number of lives. Lenny, the young drug addict, paused on the road to self-destruction, so enthralled by Arnie that he carried a dog-eared picture of him in his wallet. Suzanne, the Vietnamese refugee, learned from Arnie that wrong home can be a prison and fled to Colorado to start a new life. Margarete's grandson, Travis, who called Arnie "Superbird," gained a new respect for wild creatures, and even her three cats came to love Arnie as one of their own.

Arnie is full of life, laughter, and love. It is a completely irresistable book

It was one of the most touching animal stories I ever read. I think you would enjoy it. :smile:

If you like that book, you would probably also enjoy Alex & Me.
Quote:
"You be good. I love you," were Alex's final words to his owner, research scientist Irene Pepperberg, before his premature death at age thirty-one on September 6, 2007. An African Grey parrot, Alex had a brain the size of a shelled walnut, yet he could add, sound out words, understand concepts like bigger, smaller, more, fewer, and none, and he disproved the widely accepted idea that birds possess no potential for language or anything remotely comparable to human intelligence. Alex & Me is the remarkable true account of an amazing, irascible parrot and his best friend who stayed together through thick and thin for thirty years; the astonishing, moving, and unforgettable story of a landmark scientific achievement and a beautiful relationship.

No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison

Last edited by Gunnar on Mon May 06, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:09 am 
God

MeDotOrg wrote:
This hideous monstrosity could have been the Golden Gate Bridge:

speaking of San Francisco, how about this map of San Fran not being outdone by San Dan on street poop.

If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:21 am 
God

If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:39 pm 
God

The poor are so ruthless in their oppression of the comfortably off, aren't they? Why won't they just go away and leave us to enjoy life as we deserve?

I spend a lot of time in one city which has a fair number of street sleepers in certain places. However, the city has provided a large number of quite elegant looking toilet cabins in most districts. These cost nothing to use, allow 20 minutes of privacy to perform natural functions and to wash, and they are large enough to be accessed by the disabled. After that, the interior of the cabin is automatically washed and made ready for the next user. And as I can personally testify, they are used by many a fixed-abode citizen with a full bladder, not just by the homeless. I am happy to contribute to the very small proportion of local taxes that pay for this. Preserving the dignity of my fellow human beings, as well as the cleanliness of the city, is worth paying for.

As a result, I have never seen signs of human defecation in the streets. No doubt the world's richest country can do even better if it wants to.

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:56 pm 
Charlatan

Chap wrote:
The poor are so ruthless in their oppression of the comfortably off, aren't they? Why won't they just go away and leave us to enjoy life as we deserve?

I spend a lot of time in one city which has a fair number of street sleepers in certain places. However, the city has provided a large number of quite elegant looking toilet cabins in most districts. These cost nothing to use, allow 20 minutes of privacy to perform natural functions and to wash, and they are large enough to be accessed by the disabled. After that, the interior of the cabin is automatically washed and made ready for the next user. And as I can personally testify, they are used by many a fixed-abode citizen with a full bladder, not just by the homeless. I am happy to contribute to the very small proportion of local taxes that pay for this. Preserving the dignity of my fellow human beings, as well as the cleanliness of the city, is worth paying for.

As a result, I have never seen signs of human defecation in the streets. No doubt the world's richest country can do even better if it wants to.

You have not been to California. When they put toilets here, they were used as a place to deal drugs and for prostitution.

I was at a red light at Los Angeles street and sixth, and a guy was crapping on the curb wrapped in a blanket and hid himself pretty well, then he threw the blanket off and wiped his rear in from of everyone.

I have seen countless people crap and pee in the streets of LA and other so ca cities. You have no idea what is going on...I tried to tell you guys a few years ago and you just blew it off, just wait until it comes to your town.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:02 am 
God

Markk wrote:
When they put toilets here, they were used as a place to deal drugs and for prostitution.

For all I know, the private spaces provided by the good public toilet provision in the city I described are used by some to inject drugs, or even for prostitution. Anything you can do in 20 minutes in privacy can be done in those spaces. For most people, it's excretion. For others maybe something else. But for the record, the self-cleaning mechanism has made the place perfectly clean whenever I have used one.

I am sure many other private spaces in the city are used for similar purposes by people who own or rent accommodation, and do not have to live on the streets. But you know what? Just like I don't think it makes sense to abolish private housing because it might be used for drugs or prostitution, I don't think it makes sense to abolish good public toilets because they might be used for drugs or prostitution.

And to abolish public toilet provision and then be horrified when people perform their natural functions in the street is ... well, shall we say a little unrealistic?

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:48 am 
Charlatan

Chap wrote:

For all I know, the private spaces provided by the good public toilet provision in the city I described are used by some to inject drugs, or even for prostitution. Anything you can do in 20 minutes in privacy can be done in those spaces. For most people, it's excretion. For others maybe something else. But for the record, the self-cleaning mechanism has made the place perfectly clean whenever I have used one.

I am sure many other private spaces in the city are used for similar purposes by people who own or rent accommodation, and do not have to live on the streets. But you know what? Just like I don't think it makes sense to abolish private housing because it might be used for drugs or prostitution, I don't think it makes sense to abolish good public toilets because they might be used for drugs or prostitution.

And to abolish public toilet provision and then be horrified when people perform their natural functions in the street is ... well, shall we say a little unrealistic?

You simply have no idea how bad the growing problem is in cities like LA. And your post shows it. In LA, which I am very familiar with, how many public toilets do you think you would need in just 54 plus block skid row areas? 100, 200, 300? Who's supplying security and keeping people from living in them, or stopping people forcing people to pay to use them? Who is going to maintain them daily? Who's bringing in the sewer and water. Who is paying for all this. And most importantly who is going to force a person, like the person in the photo that SG pasted to actually use these toilets? There are multiple Missions on skid row and around LA that have public toilets and showers...they are available to those that want to use them, yet many don't.

There are literally thousands of tent homes on the streets of greater LA, and So Ca...and growing. would one toilet for every ten tents work?

You seem to believe these people pooping on the streets are like you...they are not Chap. Many haven't changed their clothes in months or years, let alone underwear if they have any. They don't bath Chap. Their brains are fried and gone, many people do not have the mental capacity to take care of themselves and others are just to lazy.

What city are you talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:35 am 
God

The public restroom facilities for the homeless in Salt Lake City have been hiring minimum wage workers to patrol these few facilities to make sure no more than one person is using the facility in order to decrease drug usage and two-person sex.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:09 am 
God

Markk wrote:
You seem to believe these people pooping on the streets are like you...they are not Chap.

No, of course I don't. I know what poverty, social marginalisation and drugs can do in the long term by way of destroying people.

But there they are. It's your city (apparently) and you are a voting citizen, and they live on its streets. What do you want your city to do about it? And are you prepared to pay the cost of remedying a situation created by years of neglect of the city and the people who live on its streets? Cleaning up all that human wreckage won't come cheap, once you have let it go that far.

Or do you just enjoy complaining about it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next