U.S. Life expectancy and Suicide

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

U.S. Life expectancy and Suicide

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

More than 70,000 people died of drug overdoses last year alone, according to the CDC. That number marks a nearly 10 percent increase from 2016 and the highest ever in the United States for a single year.

At the same time, suicide rates have also steadily increased, according to the CDC, making it the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S. — and the second most common cause of death for people ages 10 to 34. That age range dovetails with the data on drug use, which showed people age 25 to 54 dying at higher rates than their older counterparts. In other words, younger adults have largely been hit hardest by these trends. "We're seeing the drop in life expectancy not because we're hitting a cap [for lifespans of] people in their 80s. We're seeing a drop in life expectancy because people are dying in their 20s [and] 30s," McHugh said.

But in general, says William Dietz of George Washington University, the main themes of the reports are "very disturbing" — partly because deaths from overdoses and suicides are likely linked. Both may be caused by social shifts in the U.S. that have caused people to become "less connected to each other in communities," he tells Harris.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/29/67184488 ... d-suicides.

I think the media needs to stop talking so much about George Bush and should focus on important issues.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Re: U.S. Life expectancy and Suicide

But I do realize that life is precious and we need to enjoy it because there is probably no afterlife in heaven.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:I think the media needs to stop talking so much about George Bush and should focus on important issues.

I think that the media can do both.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

DoubtingThomas wrote:But I do realize that life is precious and we need to enjoy it because there is probably no afterlife in heaven.

If there were no afterlife, life would not be worth living for the vast majority of us. More often than not, the pain outweighs the pleasure. People get addicted to drugs because they have no reason to stop. They really do need some religious truth even if they can't fit into an organized religion.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I agree that suicide and life expectancy rates are the canaries in the coal mine with respect to the overall health of the society. I just don't understand the apparently causal relationship you seem to suggest that in remembering the life of George Bush we are taking time away from those issues.

Markers. Milestones. Honoring the virtues of service and sacrifice. We take time for those things, not because they distract from the issues at hand, but because those virtues are important in all facing all of the challenges that confront us.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

ajax18 wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:But I do realize that life is precious and we need to enjoy it because there is probably no afterlife in heaven.

If there were no afterlife, life would not be worth living for the vast majority of us. More often than not, the pain outweighs the pleasure. People get addicted to drugs because they have no reason to stop. They really do need some religious truth even if they can't fit into an organized religion.

Okay, let me quote again

But in general, says William Dietz of George Washington University, the main themes of the reports are "very disturbing" — partly because deaths from overdoses and suicides are likely linked. Both may be caused by social shifts in the U.S. that have caused people to become "less connected to each other in communities," he tells Harris

I suspect many loners do believe there is a better life on the other side.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Is anyone on this thread discussing mental illness?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:Is anyone on this thread discussing mental illness?

Is mental illness the number one cause?