Remember the Labor Force Participation Rate?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Remember the Labor Force Participation Rate?

Post by _canpakes »

cinepro wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:The LFPR still dropping, now to 62.7, and the same loud mouths haven't uttered a single complaint with Trump took office.

It looks like they did talk about it when there was a .1% increase in 2017 , but spun it to refer to the absolute number instead of the percentage...

Number of Americans in labor force hits record high

And I don't know how Fox Business is viewed, but one commentator did have this to say earlier this year:

Instead of agonizing over monthly variations, we should focus more on the number of Americans who are already working or who are looking for jobs, referred to as the labor participation rate. And it’s here where the problem lies. March’s participation rate came in at 62.9%, but that level is the worst since before the recession of 2009.

That's hardly sweeping it under the rug.

Hey, Cinepro -

As can be seen by the headline in your linked article, this is an attempt to be deceptive and to fool simple minds.

The population of a country could see the number of folks in the labor force rise due to nothing more than the expected increase in population growth over time, while the LPR could drop at the same time. The headline concentrated on a meaningless statistic.

Until recently, conservative-oriented media bemoaned the decreasing LPR as a failure of the previous administration, and did so virtually the entire time Obama was in office. With Trump in office, they’ve quietly changed the focus to ‘the number of folks in the workforce’ and gone so far as to mix the two (I heard that on Hannity myself) as if to make it sound like Trump’s Presidency has seen an uptick in the LPR when in fact no such thing has occurred.

Why do you suspect that is?
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Re: Remember the Labor Force Participation Rate?

Post by _cinepro »

canpakes wrote:Why do you suspect that is?

I don't know. I'm starting to suspect that some news outlets might be politically biased.