The Fibonacci Sequence as a Sacrament Meeting Musical

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

The Fibonacci Sequence as a Sacrament Meeting Musical

Post by _Philo Sofee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJeGOw8TzQ

This is cooler than all get out! As I am back to studying mathematics, and Fibonacci and Phi most especially, this struck me as profoundly delightful! It's a three minute video, well worth the look and listen.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Re: The Fibonacci Sequence as a Sacrament Meeting Musical

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Most Americans don't know what the hell is the Fibonacci sequence.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor Steuss wrote:Image

One of my all-time favorite movie reviews:

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/a ... oid=897084
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

EAllusion wrote:One of my all-time favorite movie reviews:

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/a ... oid=897084

That was an enjoyable read. Thank you for sharing it.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Philo Sofee wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJeGOw8TzQ

This is cooler than all get out! As I am back to studying mathematics, and Fibonacci and Phi most especially, this struck me as profoundly delightful! It's a three minute video, well worth the look and listen.

Excellent video. I do wonder, however, if this has more to do with the artist's skill of making a song out of an arbitrary sequence of notes--all in the same key--than with the Fibonacci sequence itself. The reason I say this is that while there are seven unique notes in a major scale (eight, if you count the last note which is the same as the first, only one octave higher), the numbering system is base 10. The way they handled this is that they took the two extra numbers--9 and 0--and added them to the scale. Thus, of the seven notes in the scale, three are double-counted. My guess is that systematically double-counting these three specific notes is what leads to the thematic properties of the song, more than the Fibonacci sequence itself.

What would be interesting is if he repeated the same exercise, but rather than using a base-10 numbering system he used a base-7. That way the seven unique notes of the major scale would correspond to the seven unique numbers in the counting system. I'm guessing it would be harder to get a good-sounding song out of this, but it would be more closely related to the Fibonacci sequence itself. Who knows--maybe it would sound wonderful!
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

A delightful little video indeed, but why use a major scale rather than a minor scale, and why the E major scale in particular? What could he have done with a chromatic scale, which has 12 unique notes, or a 12 tone scale, in conjunction with a base 12 numbering system?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:A delightful little video indeed, but why use a major scale rather than a minor scale, and why the E major scale in particular? What could he have done with a chromatic scale, which has 12 unique notes, or a 12 tone scale, in conjunction with a base 12 numbering system?

I don't think it would work because you're constrained by harmonics to keep to a particular scale.

And he's doing the major E scale because he plays in a blues band in his off hours (my best guess).

Analytics wrote:Excellent video. I do wonder, however, if this has more to do with the artist's skill of making a song out of an arbitrary sequence of notes--all in the same key--than with the Fibonacci sequence itself.

I think that's a near certainty. The sequence only specifies which notes to play in a particular order. It doesn't specify the timing of each note, and let's face it: that's where the magic happens. It's always the space between the notes.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.