Interview with Plaid Shirt Guy

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Interview with Plaid Shirt Guy

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnF3jAvpTw

Google links for anyone who cares enough to know more:

https://www.google.com/search?q=plaid+s ... e&ie=UTF-8

One of the interesting takeaways is how the people behind the President are told to act enthusiastic, offered to wear MAGA hats, and when they're not playing along they get replaced:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tr ... 2f472c5612

So, all in all it's kind of funny to see how a rally goes down. However, for a President that likes to talk about fake news and whatnot it's a bit ironic his team replaces real people with staffers to smile and clap while he drones on (I think he yammered for an hour and a half!).

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Interview with Plaid Shirt Guy

Post by _EAllusion »

I'm old enough to remember when political rallies weren't so carefully staged, but young enough that it has been a feature of my entire adult political life.

I'm not bothered by it so much as I am how press cover such obvious stagecraft. Open up local papers on any of the Trump rallies and the primary converge will almost always be about how 1) Trump said X without pointing out X is false, 2) Trump attacked some local Democrats or praised local Republicans, and 3) had a big, enthusiastic crowd. These are always framed with big photos of Trump's carefully staged background supporters.

And, the real story that deserves top billing is almost always the fact that Trump lied constantly about things both big and small while going on inane ramblings that make you question his basic mental fitness.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

What makes plaid guy so good is he wasn't just in attack everything Trump says mode. Rather his befuddled responses were warranted reactions to what was being said at the time. It's like moments of reality sneaking in.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:I'm old enough to remember when political rallies weren't so carefully staged,

Yeah, never have they been staged so "carefully". Must be some sort of significant paradigm shift in the history of American politics- nay! of global politics!
Nostalgia much?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

subgenius wrote:
EAllusion wrote:I'm old enough to remember when political rallies weren't so carefully staged,

Yeah, never have they been staged so "carefully". Must be some sort of significant paradigm shift in the history of American politics- nay! of global politics!
Nostalgia much?

Feel free to show examples of the same guy behind every rally like the "Blacks for Trump" guy, who is always right behind Trump and is usually the only black guy in the crowd.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

subgenius wrote:

Nostalgia much?

?

EA was clearly pointing out that staging the visuals of a rally is essentially universal in modern politics, and not limited to any particular party. His point was regarding the apparent ease with which the media gets distracted from engaging with underlying facts by such tactics. I can see that to get that one had to read more than the first half of his first sentence but still...this is below even your low track record for following along.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

honorentheos wrote:?

EA was clearly pointing out that staging the visuals of a rally is essentially universal in modern politics, and not limited to any particular party. His point was regarding the apparent ease with which the media gets distracted from engaging with underlying facts by such tactics. I can see that to get that one had to read more than the first half of his first sentence but still...this is below even your low track record for following along.

subs has a bit of a reading comprehension issue. It pops up pretty often.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

The thing that made me giggle about all of this; the woman with the flag around her neck (in the second picture)… she wipes her nose with the flag twice.

She also appears to have gotten to keep her place.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »