Nike

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Nike

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Personally I don't think an anthem should be played at all, but it seems like we're just going to do that forever.

We're total goddamn hypocrites on the subject. We have people who buy flag underwear so they can leave patriotic skidmarks and that's okay but we tie ourselves up in knots over this. The NFL is a business. They should be ashamed of exploiting the anthem, the pledge, any of the "civic religion" that Americans love. And Americans should be aware that patriotism is not a consumer act of buying a thing and it isn't a religious rite of standing up, sitting down, mouthing loops of sacred text. It's the commitment of conscious, learning, evolving human beings who have resolved to live together in peace and prosperity.

https://www.mensuas.com/underwear/mensu ... long-boxer
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

EAllusion wrote:Kaepernick was good enough to be a backup somewhere. Tebow was scout team material at best. Neither were carrying their banner as a top player.

That said, Manning was lights out awesome when Denver initially got him. His neck injury was supposed to make him past his prime, but that was prime Manning anyway. His first season with the team is one of the best seasons ever by a quarterback. Don't confuse that with his final appearance when he was physically broken down.

I read a piece in Newsweek by Ben Shapiro who was saying it was ridiculous to think Kaepernick had sacrificed anything because, according to Shapiro, Kaepernick was among the worst QB's in terms of QB rating in both 2015 and 2016.

Well, I looked it up out of curiosity and unsurprisingly, that was all BS. Kaepernick's QB rating was 22nd out of 32 starting QBs in 2015 and it was 17th in 2016, which was higher than Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and other big name QBs.

But even if Kaepernick was ranked 32nd each year, this is still among starting QBs. There are twice as many QBs sitting on the bench and none would hire him as a backup.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

The only people claiming Kaepernick isn't good enough to play in the NFL are people who know little or nothing about the NFL (or are just full of crap).
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Some Schmo wrote:The only people claiming Kaepernick isn't good enough to play in the NFL are people who know little or nothing about the NFL (or are just full of ____).

This covers Trump and Kaepernick.

"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

EAllusion wrote:Kaepernick was good enough to be a backup somewhere. Tebow was scout team material at best. Neither were carrying their banner as a top player.

That said, Manning was lights out awesome when Denver initially got him. His neck injury was supposed to make him past his prime, but that was prime Manning anyway. His first season with the team is one of the best seasons ever by a quarterback. Don't confuse that with his final appearance when he was physically broken down.

I agree with that assessment as well. Kaepernick would be on a bench somewhere waiting for someone to get injured under normal circumstances. But I don't think the math pencils out to a team worried about the controversy that comes with him. There are plenty of other back-up quality QBs out there without the baggage. That's unfortunate but I don't think his being unable to find a place in the NFL would be an issue if he was a top five player in his position. I never knew anyone in fantasy football looking to grab him in an early round. And as I said earlier, for me it was his performance in the Super Bowl when the game was in his hands. It was obvious his nerves got the better of him. The greats don't have that happen.

You're also right about Manning. I had forgotten about his insane comeback season.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I pretty much 100% agree with you, Honor. In fact, I actually support Kaepernick's right to do what he's done while I also support the Shield's right to handle their business however they want. Personally I don't think an anthem should be played at all, but it seems like we're just going to do that forever. I like how the NBA handled it, but that's probably only happening with player support because of the relationship between owners and the players.

- Doc

It is kind of hypocritical when it comes to the anthem and sports given the number of people who are basically checked out or talking or whathaveyou, at least from my experience. I'm curious where the tradition actually originates?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

honorentheos wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I pretty much 100% agree with you, Honor. In fact, I actually support Kaepernick's right to do what he's done while I also support the Shield's right to handle their business however they want. Personally I don't think an anthem should be played at all, but it seems like we're just going to do that forever. I like how the NBA handled it, but that's probably only happening with player support because of the relationship between owners and the players.

- Doc

It is kind of hypocritical when it comes to the anthem and sports given the number of people who are basically checked out or talking or whathaveyou, at least from my experience. I'm curious where the tradition actually originates?
It became standard during WW II for obvious reasons. Things just didn’t return to normal after the war. I’m not sure if there was a proto-tradition before that.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

EAllusion wrote:It is kind of hypocritical when it comes to the anthem and sports given the number of people who are basically checked out or talking or whathaveyou, at least from my experience. I'm curious where the tradition actually originates? It became standard during WW II for obvious reasons. Things just didn’t return to normal after the war. I’m not sure if there was a proto-tradition before that.

I wish we'd go back to whatever it was before. Personally I think it is stupid. And even worse, being put on the spot with ugly looks and murmuring if you're not standing at attention with your hand over your heart. Ten years ago I'd feel comfortable telling people to go F themselves if they're upset with me not standing as expected, but today I'm afraid it could create a friggin riot. Just isn't worth the hassle and frustration. You can't even do "nothing" without it being politicized.

I attended a realtor's award ceremony last February for our county's association of Realtors. We were all dressed nice in a huge conference room awaiting our food when suddenly we were told to stand at attention for the Color Guard. 4-5 guys dressed in military attire started walking towards the podium with their Flags in hand but they took the longest route possible and I think it took them 3 minutes before they arrived. Everyone had to be perfectly quiet as they walked slowly. The whole time I'm wondering, what the “F” does this have to do with real estate awards? This is something I'd expect at a military funeral, so what gives? No one even sang the anthem, it was just a long moment of silence as we watched the flag travel along the sides of all four walls.