Oh, the fragility of human life!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Oh, the fragility of human life!

Post by _Some Schmo »

Doctor Steuss wrote:If I recall correctly, it was carb cravings. One of them wanted pasta, and the other had a hankering for toast.

You know, it's funny. I had forgotten about this, but I seem to remember my dad had a job at a morgue (driving the hearse - must have been) when he was young, and said he got used to eating his lunch, watching autopsies. Sandwiches.

You've got to be disassociating. I would be. Of course, I have an aversion to anything (except a select list of foods and liquids) going into my body. I'm generally an output guy. Read only.

Like Tony Soprano said at the suggestion of a proctology exam, "I don't even like the doctor waving his finger in my face."
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote: In that spirit, I have to tell you something that may frighten you: not everyone likes Japanese adolescent pop.

Guess how many members of Perfume are adolescents?

Doctor Steuss wrote:Were you hungry afterwards?

No, but I did order a vegetarian meal.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Some Schmo wrote: In that spirit, I have to tell you something that may frighten you: not everyone likes Japanese adolescent pop.

Guess how many members of Perfume are adolescents?

I wasn't talking about the band. I was talking about their target audience.

I was just playing with ya. I love Perfume. That's why I hang out at MDB: the official band. All hail Perfume and supporters of said Perfume.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Why in the world were you observing autopsies?

The same reason I volunteered to be pepper sprayed in 1997, then volunteered to be tased in 2014: I knew I had to face my fears.

How does someone volunteer to watch an autopsy? Was this work related or can anyone do this?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

You mean like grabbing a nice Chianti and bowel of fava beans at the nearby U Med Center cafeteria? They don't serve Chianti, but I imagine fava beans may have been available as part of a vegetarian meal.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:

A few friends who have had to observe autopsies for Criminal Justice coursework said that they had some pretty intense food cravings afterwards.

Liver pate? Haggis? Prairie oysters? Head cheese?

:lol: I apologize for crashing this thread with an off subject post, but this post reminded me of the funniest jokes I know. An American tourist visiting a Central American country noticed, while dining at the restaurant attached to the hotel where he was staying, that whatever the guest at the next table was just served smelled awfully delicious. He asked his waiter what it was and asked if he could order the same thing. The waiter said that it was the testicles of the bull killed in that day's local bullfight. It was a rare and expensive dish only served to one guest each day, and had to be reserved well in advance. The American immediately placed his name on the list of guests wanting to reserve this delicious dish, and the next day he lucked out and was able to order it for dinner. It was every bit as delicious as he anticipated and well worth the small fortune he paid for it, if not more so. "But", he asked the waiter, "why was the portion I got so much smaller than what I saw served to the other guest yesterday?"

The waiter replied, "You must understand, Señor, sometimes the bull wins!"
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote: :lol: I apologize for crashing this thread with an off subject post, but this post reminded me of the funniest jokes I know. An American tourist visiting a Central American country noticed, while dining at the restaurant attached to the hotel where he was staying, that whatever the guest at the next table was just served smelled awfully delicious. He asked his waiter what it was and asked if he could order the same thing. The waiter said that it was the testicles of the bull killed in that day's local bullfight. It was a rare and expensive dish only served to one guest each day, and had to be reserved well in advance. The American immediately placed his name on the list of guests wanting to reserve this delicious dish, and the next day he lucked out and was able to order it for dinner. It was every bit as delicious as he anticipated and well worth the small fortune he paid for it, if not more so. "But", he asked the waiter, "why was the portion I got so much smaller than what I saw served to the other guest yesterday?"

The waiter replied, "You must understand, Señor, sometimes the bull wins!"

You disgust me.
;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:I wasn't talking about the band. I was talking about their target audience.

In that case, they've failed miserably to hit their target. If you watch any of their concert footage, you'll see that everyone looks to be in their mid-20s or later.

I was just playing with ya. I love Perfume. That's why I hang out at MormonDiscussions.com: the official band. All hail Perfume and supporters of said Perfume.

Now THAT, sir, is the correct attitude.

Ceeboo wrote:How does someone volunteer to watch an autopsy? Was this work related or can anyone do this?

It was only work-related in the sense that I requested training credit for it. Otherwise, it was all volunteer on my part. Alas, not anyone can do it; I was able to because I'm a certified peace officer. The only other ones who can more or less walk in off the street are legislators.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:I wasn't talking about the band. I was talking about their target audience.

In that case, they've failed miserably to hit their target. If you watch any of their concert footage, you'll see that everyone looks to be in their mid-20s or later.

I'd check it out to verify what you're saying, but I'm not a teenager.

Dr. Shades wrote:
I was just playing with ya. I love Perfume. That's why I hang out at MormonDiscussions.com: the official band. All hail Perfume and supporters of said Perfume.

Now THAT, sir, is the correct attitude.

Sarcasm?

OK, good. I think I'm in the zone.

You crack me up, man. No wonder the autopsy girls wanted in your pants.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:Now THAT, sir, is the correct attitude.

Sarcasm?

Nope. Your last comment about Perfume did indeed reflect the correct attitude to have.

You crack me up, man. No wonder the autopsy girls wanted in your pants.

Heh, I can only wish that women laughing at me equated to them wanting to get into my pants. How much better would my life be??

But, back to the topic at hand.

MY EXISTENTIAL ANGST, PART 2 of 2. (Note: I posted Part 1 last week after I observed four autopsies take place.)

While viewing the "proceedings," I was struck by how infinitely effective of an equalizer death is. Simply put, all of us are quite literally 100% equal when naked and deceased on the examination table. At that point, within less than a mere 24 hours after death, EVERYTHING that we all spend so much of our time and attention pursuing had vanished into thin air. There was no indication of who had achieved what level of education, who drove the fanciest car, who had the most prestigious career, who made the most money, who had voted for which candidate, or who wore the most expensive designer clothes. ALL of those trappings had utterly departed. To the autopsy techs, the only difference between one "case" and another is the weight of the various internal organs--an aspect of ourselves that NO human being uses as an excuse to discriminate against, persecute, or hate each other. Once again, when it's all over, WE'RE ALL, EVERY ONE OF US, 100% EQUAL when naked and deceased on the examination table.

I accompanied the techs as they wheeled the cases back into the walk-in refrigerator following two of the procedures. I was struck, and existentially saddened, by the impersonal anonymity of the individuals therein. Each of them were now in bags on those wheeled exam tables, along with probably 15 or so others laying on the shelves or on other tables, waiting for the funeral homes to come and collect them. At that point, I was relieved to know that their individuality and humanity would soon be recaptured during their funerals as they were remembered and celebrated by their loved ones.

Now, don't get me wrong: The autopsy techs and forensic pathologist were 100% professional. There was no disrespect whatsoever cast on the deceased. Yet they had a job to do, and they did so methodically and routinely, as you'd expect. So I was struck by a third thing that day: That in the end, the ONLY thing that stays with each of us after the procedure is over is the quality and quantity of the memories we leave with those who survive us. THAT, and THAT ALONE, will differentiate us one from the other once we're gone. So, in order to have the final memories of us be more than just what an autopsy tech remembers, it's imperative to create, and thereby implant, the BEST possible memories, in both quality and quantity, with those who will remember us after we're gone. Not just with our closest loved ones, but with EVERYONE who stands any chance of remembering us after our passing. It won't be clothes, it won't be careers, it won't be educations, it will be MEMORIES that will be all that's left of us (on this earth, if you believe in an afterlife) after we're gone.

So we'd all better make sure they're good ones.

--Louis Midgley