Words Matter Podcast

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Words Matter Podcast

Post by _honorentheos »

Noted, I'll return and report. Saw Fish was the subject of another podcast recently so I'll take that as a sign.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I'll have to check it out, honor. One of my favorite people to listen these days to is Steve Schmidt. Everything he says feel like reparations for giving us Sarah Palin, and I love that he's left the GOP over their constant BS (same reason I left).
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

It is very peculiar to have the following 2 goals for an overtly political "talk" program:

1. The promotion of an objective reality.
2. The promotion that a person(s) is entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts.

On the first point, there seems to be a very very very narrow sieve for which reality can pass through, and to further filter that with "objective" is just creative packaging. In the political realm how can one assert that objective reality is relevant? Ambiguity, subjectivity, and opinion are all that can, and should, matter to its participants. Objectivity is an altogether distinct paradigm than the one where ideas like "conservative" and "liberal" exist. Thunderstorms do not give a hoot about mid-term elections.

As for the second point, there could not be a ore manipulative notion within the realm of politics. The assertion of "fact" is the brutish, clumsy, and amateurish tools of politics...and its a rather circumstance of the oxymoron in that sense. Even in the Judicial Branch facts enjoy a flexible "entitlement", and that branch is the least "political" of them all (at least by design).
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

I've only made it through the first episode so far but I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation, Honor.

Like you I would not consider myself conservative by any means (I sit comfortably on the intersection of centrist, liberal and libertarian on the Nolan chart) but I think our system is strongest when thoughtful people on all sides are able to work towards solutions. It is nice to see someone like Hoover acknowledge that she doesn't see a path to conservatism through the current Republican party. I also appreciated their acknowledgement of the rise of populism and how the answer to that should be to develop solutions for those issues, not run from them. Again, thanks for pointing this podcast out.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

I listen to all four episodes today at work. Good stuff.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Just finished listening to all of it. Great stuff. Exactly the thing needed in today's political landscape.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Now that I've had a bit of time to digest the last episode, it occurs to me just how much I'm craving the kind of party Schmidt describes. It is exactly the kind of conservative party I could promote. He seems like a stand up guy, and I love that the theme of the podcast is reality. What's really happening. There are still opinions expressed on the show (I'm thinking mostly of Hoover in the first one), but Jordan and Schmidt seem fairly balanced and genuine to me. They care about this country.

I hope they have David Frum and Nicole Wallace on the show soon.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

honorentheos wrote:Noted, I'll return and report. Saw Fish was the subject of another podcast recently so I'll take that as a sign.

:eek:

I should have started with a different topic than Albert Fish. I had seen another podcast about serial killers with a couple of episodes on the Werewolf of Wisteria so it seemed like a sign.

I was wrong. That was a bit more than I was ready for.

That said, they have a funny interactive style that I can see being entertaining...though three 1-1/2 hour episodes on a cannibal pedophile who ate crap which he described as peanut butter...oh boy.

I'll give another one a try. I'm thinking the three on Rasputin since he's someone I know a little about but would be curious to learn more.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Xenophon wrote:I've only made it through the first episode so far but I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation, Honor.

Like you I would not consider myself conservative by any means (I sit comfortably on the intersection of centrist, liberal and libertarian on the Nolan chart) but I think our system is strongest when thoughtful people on all sides are able to work towards solutions. It is nice to see someone like Hoover acknowledge that she doesn't see a path to conservatism through the current Republican party. I also appreciated their acknowledgement of the rise of populism and how the answer to that should be to develop solutions for those issues, not run from them. Again, thanks for pointing this podcast out.

cwald wrote:I listen to all four episodes today at work. Good stuff.

Some Schmo wrote:Just finished listening to all of it. Great stuff. Exactly the thing needed in today's political landscape.

Now that I've had a bit of time to digest the last episode, it occurs to me just how much I'm craving the kind of party Schmidt describes. It is exactly the kind of conservative party I could promote. He seems like a stand up guy, and I love that the theme of the podcast is reality. What's really happening. There are still opinions expressed on the show (I'm thinking mostly of Hoover in the first one), but Jordan and Schmidt seem fairly balanced and genuine to me. They care about this country.

I hope they have David Frum and Nicole Wallace on the show soon.

I'm glad you all are finding it interesting. It struck me how refreshing it seemed to hear conservatism discussed in a rational way and that, while I have areas I'll always disagree with conservative politics, I could very easily see myself voting for someone with more of this political view than an extremist on the left or right.

It seems like something the country really needs.
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

honorentheos wrote:I'm glad you all are finding it interesting. It struck me how refreshing it seemed to hear conservatism discussed in a rational way and that, while I have areas I'll always disagree with conservative politics, I could very easily see myself voting for someone with more of this political view than an extremist on the left or right.

It seems like something the country really needs.

Definitely a bit of fresh air. I compare their tone, content, and style to some of the other right leaning podcasts/videos that get shared here and I think we can see what actually not widening the divide looks like. I'm trying to imagine Jordan or Schmidt doing highly edited "gotcha" interviews but I'm just not seeing it.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens