Worst President in History

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Worst President in History

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
President Donald Trump claimed he is "the most popular person in the history of the Republican Party," during an interview with a British newspaper on Thursday.

During a conversation with The Sun, Trump insisted his approval rating among Republicans landed at 92%, "beating [Abraham] Lincoln."

"I beat our Honest Abe," Trump said.

While it wasn't immediately clear which poll Trump was referring to in his mention of Abraham Lincoln, Gallup's presidential approval ratings only stretch back to the Truman administration, from 1945 to 1953. Lincoln died in 1865.

Trump's claim is no different than the OP.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

DarkHelmet wrote:
subgenius wrote:Exactly how are these Presidents' being measured and how are they accounting for inflation....is the Garfield survey of white employed men being seen as equal to unemployed minority women during Carter years?

Yes. When we measure the greatness of Presidents throughout history we dig up all the thousands of obscure stats and crunch them in a computer which generates a value. That's how it's done.

Yes, we get it...you don't know how it's done.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Trump speaks:-

"He is not a war hero (John McCain0
"I have a very good brain"
'Sorry losers and haters My IQ is one of the highest & and you all know it"
"Why do I have to ask for forgiveness when I am not making any mistakes"
"I got to Putin very well we were both on sixty minutes"
"I moved on her like a bitch.. grabbed her by the pussy"
"“I know words, I have the best words. I have the best, but there is no better word than stupid.”
“In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally.”
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I remember during the Republican primaries when Glen Beck, EAllusion, lots of RINOs, etc. all claimed that Donald Trump was just posturing as a conservative and wasn't really a conservative. After all, wasn't he once a Democrat who supported abortion? Then there was this supposed tape with the New York Times where DJT admits that he isn't really going to build a wall but he's just saying that to placate the majority who want the border enforced. Say what you will about DJT, but he hasn't governed like a Democrat and has held true to conservative principles as far as I'm concerned.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

ajax18 wrote:I remember during the Republican primaries when Glen Beck, EAllusion, lots of RINOs, etc. all claimed that Donald Trump was just posturing as a conservative and wasn't really a conservative. After all, wasn't he once a Democrat who supported abortion? Then there was this supposed tape with the New York Times where DJT admits that isn't really going to build a wall but he's just saying that to placate the majority who want the border enforced. Say what you will about DJT, but he hasn't governed like a Democrat and has held true to conservative principles as far as I'm concerned.

Bearing in mind that "true conservative principles" in your mind have almost nothing to do with what conservatism would be to, say, Ronald Reagan.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Bearing in mind that "true conservative principles" in your mind have almost nothing to do with what conservatism would be to, say, Ronald Reagan.

perhaps on trade, and I don't see negotiating better trade deals for America as being anti free trade but rather America first. But DJT hasn't nominated a prochoice abortion candidate like Beck warned us, he hasn't pulled the rug out from under those of us who want the southern border enforced, and he hasn't raised our taxes either. All the NeverTrumpers said this kind of stuff during the primary and they've proven dead wrong.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

cinepro wrote:Have they ever evaluated Presidents during their terms before? I thought they always waited until they were at least out of office for a few years. I agree Trump will no doubt be a bottom-10 President, but only time will tell if he's Buchanan-bad or just Carter-bad.

It's also a little eye-rolling that the Democrat scholars would rank FDR over Washington (if only by a point). Seriously...?

Yeah, that's been going on at least since Bill Clinton. I can't go further back than that because I can't remember rankings prior to that time. It does seem silly to rank active or recent presidents given that you'd think you'd be evaluating historical context and consequences that aren't as easily forseen to people in the present. Trump in particular is a good example of this because a big part of how terrible he is has to do with how much he's damaging the US's foreign standing and how much he's upsetting domestic political norms that sit at the foundations of democracy. It's yet to be seen how effectively the country can bounce back from that once he's out of office. Everyone of course hopes this is a blip against a historical backdrop, but he could be the country's Commodus. It's really hard to know.

As far as the latter goes, these rankings are heavily influenced by factors that don't align with what we normally think of as what makes a president good in terms of their politics. In particular, the dominance of a president relative to their time tends to up their rankings. I wouldn't call FDR the best president by a long shot, but knowing how these rankings get decided, it makes perfect sense to me why he'd rank 1st.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

ajax18 wrote:

perhaps on trade, and I don't see negotiating better trade deals for America as being anti free trade but rather America first. But DJT hasn't nominated a prochoice abortion candidate like Beck warned us, he hasn't pulled the rug out from under those of us who want the southern border enforced, and he hasn't raised our taxes either. All the NeverTrumpers said this kind of stuff during the primary and they've proven dead wrong.

Your position(s) on immigration is antithetical to what traditional Republican conservatism used to be. Trump represents a wing of modern conservatism that only really blossomed after conservative Democrats shifted into the Republican party. The idea that a degenerate Pat Buchanan is someone how "real conservatism" over and above George H.W. Bush is unfortunate and ahistorical.

You are a perfect example of of this. You very much are a traditional West Virginia Democrat circa 1961 who would find Republican's traditional friendliness to immigration due to the nexus of business interests and liberty-based philosophy to be unacceptable.

Regarding Trump, he's very unconservative on a whole raft of issues beyond trade. Or, rather, I'm perfectly fine saying Trump's particular brand of paleoconservatism meets fascism is emblematic of current conservatism, but I also recognize that it is way, way different in some important respects than what conservatives who dominated the recent past think.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

ajax18 wrote:and he hasn't raised our taxes either.

He has decreased taxes a lot for the wealthy now so you can pay a lot more taxes later to pay the Chinese their interest on a massive debt.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

He has decreased taxes a lot for the wealthy now so you can pay a lot more taxes later to pay the Chinese their interest on a massive debt.

The debt is so huge after Obama that I doubt they'll ever pay it down. We could still get rid of social welfare programs and be back in the black in no time. The people robbing from our children and grandchildren are the ones collecting social security and disability.