Her Father must be very proud

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Her Father must be very proud

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

I thought young atheist girls didn't exists. I never seen one before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd45toVRFaw. All the atheist women I know are old (above 30 years). I hope Kelly studies science when she goes to college.

I hope someday the law allows teenagers to vote so the Republican party can die faster. Psychology Today articles makes the case. Nichols, S. L., & Good, T. L. (2004). America's teenagers--myths and realities: Media images, schooling, and the social costs of careless indifference. Routledge.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... -teenagers
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Her Father must be very proud

Post by _Dr. Shades »

DoubtingThomas wrote:I thought young atheist girls didn't exists.

In that case, this fact will blow you away:

100% of all infants are born as atheists.

This is because children need to be taught to believe in God before they will do so. Therefore, the next time you see a picture of a neonatal ward, keep in mind that 100% of the babies in the bassinets are atheists.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Dr. Shades wrote:

This is because children need to be taught to believe in God before they will do so. Therefore, the next time you see a picture of a neonatal ward, keep in mind that 100% of the babies in the bassinets are atheists.

Hahaha good point!
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

In all seriousness, we left the LDS church before our daughter was 8 years old. She barely remembers anything about church as she enters her senior year of high school.

Back when she was in elementary school/early middle school age, she asked me if I believed in God. I gave her a sincere answer that I didn't feel like I could definitively say yes, as I could rule out the possibility there might be something that met some definition that we might consider god if we understood it at all. But I didn't believe in any of the various descriptions of God or gods with which I was familiar. She told me then that she didn't believe in God but that most of her classmates thought that made her a bad person. We had a good talk about what it meant to be good or bad, and if someone who judged someone based on whether or not they shared a belief in something really had moral standing to tell someone else they were bad.

I will say this as well. She faced far more real persecution for her none belief that she's maintained to this day than I ever did as a believing Mormon at any point in my life. That includes while serving as a missionary and in the military. Kids who have shallow but centralized religious beliefs at the core of their worldviews given to them by their parents with all the moral judginess inherent in that can be pricks.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

My daughter very much considered herself a Christian for years (my wife and I never took her to church, but she was close friends with her Baptist cousin. I remember one day finding a Bible she'd hidden in her room). I told her all through her childhood that she was going to have to figure questions like that out for herself.

About two years ago, she decided that she didn't believe in god. She's still a teenager.

They're out there.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Dr. Shades wrote:

One must be taught to be an atheist as well. One can not "reject" what one does not know. Furthermore, I dare to say that no one knows what an infant believes or does not believe when it is born - their communication skills are rather rudimentary.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

DoubtingThomas wrote:I hope someday the law allows teenagers to vote...

Pedo much?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

subgenius wrote:One must be taught to be an atheist as well. One can not "reject" what one does not know. Furthermore, I dare to say that no one knows what an infant believes or does not believe when it is born - their communication skills are rather rudimentary.

By this it appears you view atheism as exclusively an active disbelief in the God of one's parent culture rather than a position of non-belief requiring no a priori knowledge whatsoever.

I'm curious if your kids (if you have any) intuitively believed in Ganesha until you taught them such belief was irrational and they should instead believe in the physical deities of Mormonism?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

honorentheos wrote:
subgenius wrote:One must be taught to be an atheist as well. One can not "reject" what one does not know. Furthermore, I dare to say that no one knows what an infant believes or does not believe when it is born - their communication skills are rather rudimentary.

By this it appears you view atheism as exclusively an active disbelief in the God of one's parent culture rather than a position of non-belief requiring no a priori knowledge whatsoever.

I'm curious if your kids (if you have any) intuitively believed in Ganesha until you taught them such belief was irrational and they should instead believe in the physical deities of Mormonism?

subs has problems with facts. Your post might confuse him.

From virtually every reputable source everywhere:

There is, unfortunately, some disagreement about the definition of atheism. It is interesting to note that most of that disagreement comes from theists - atheists themselves tend to agree on what atheism means. Christians in particular dispute the definition used by atheists and insist that atheism means something very different.

The broader, and more common, understanding of atheism among atheists is quite simply "not believing in any gods." No claims or denials are made - an atheist is just a person who does not happen to be a theist. Sometimes this broader understanding is called "weak" or "implicit" atheism. Most good, complete dictionaries readily support this.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

subgenius wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:I hope someday the law allows teenagers to vote...

Pedo much?

If you read the Psychology Today article I shared it is saying that 16-17 year olds should have the right to vote. I didn't say all teenagers of all ages should have the right to vote.

You are the only one here who said "As for statutory rape and the hyperbole over age differences, there is no clear rationale/reasoning supporting any restriction on consenting post-pubescent [generally aged 11–14] persons engaging in sexual intercourse." - subgenius

I do not believe young teachers should go years to prison for having consensual sex with 16-17 year old teenagers, especially if the students were manipulating the teacher, but it doesn't mean I agree with your creepy views subgenius.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.