Happiest Countries in the World.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Happiest Countries in the World.

Post by _I have a question »

aussieguy55 wrote:The state church in the Nordic countries is Lutheran even though attendance is low.

Well, except Sweden. And now Norway.
But the other 3 (Denmark, Iceland and Finland) have a Lutheran State Church.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

SteelHead wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_p6WI4V8N8

"I suppose all we can do is to live our lives with as much kindness and decency as possible, and try not to worry about God standing over us with a giant shovel"

- says Malcolm in the Middle, after smiting the ants in the garden, having failed to work out which ones of them were the righteous and which the sinners.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

or to tell him how wonderful he is, makes no difference to what happens to them.

It makes no difference in this life. It makes a huge difference in eternity.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
or to tell him how wonderful he is, makes no difference to what happens to them.

It makes no difference in this life. It makes a huge difference in eternity.

Yeah, yeah.

And Santa Claus has a list of who's naughty or nice. And then you'll be sorry!

Where do you get this childish nonsense from?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Not from the natural man. Things of the spirit are foolishness to the natural man.

You won't find complete justice nor lasting happiness if you're limited to this world and your earthly life.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

ajax18 wrote:

Not from the natural man. Things of the spirit are foolishness to the natural man.

You won't find complete justice nor lasting happiness if you're limited to this world and your earthly life.

Weren't you supposedly a deist on this board at some point?
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

EAllusion wrote:

His racism brought him together with true Mormonism.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I'm not sure what deist means. What is your religious background EAllusion? Exmo, nevermo, or TBM?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

ajax18 wrote:I'm not sure what deist means.

Simply put, a deist believes there is a deity who made the world, and set it going. That deity does not thereafter intervene in the affairs of humanity, although in some versions of deism he did initially structure it so that it will be more rewarding to actually virtuously and wisely rather than wickedly.

A theist also believes in a deity, but believes that this deity cares about the way the world goes to the extent of making his (or her) views known to human beings by revelation, and even from time to time intervening directly in human affairs.

The words are from Latin 'deus', a god, and Greek 'theos', which also means a god.
Zadok:
Maksutov: