The Climate is always changing

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:I don't deny that (as some posters may have noticed) I have extensive search and access rights for a very wide range of scholarly and scientific publications. But if subgenius wants that information about forty years in the 14th century (which I don't currently have before me, and have never claimed to have before me), I am under no obligation to do the work for him,

was it not you that posted claims about the solar cycle and how the past few decades have been "the most dramatic warming in millions of years"?

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 0#p1130680

This seems to imply that you had some data for the years 1310 to 1350....or was your claim more of a lopsided comparison sort of thingy? (buttressed by an imposing sun image, of course).
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

subgenius wrote:
Chap wrote:I don't deny that (as some posters may have noticed) I have extensive search and access rights for a very wide range of scholarly and scientific publications. But if subgenius wants that information about forty years in the 14th century (which I don't currently have before me, and have never claimed to have before me), I am under no obligation to do the work for him,

was it not you that posted claims about the solar cycle and how the past few decades have been "the most dramatic warming in millions of years"?

viewtopic.php?p=1130680#p1130680

This seems to imply that you had some data for the years 1310 to 1350....or was your claim more of a lopsided comparison sort of thingy? (buttressed by an imposing sun image, of course).

You linked to this thread. Did you intend to link to a different thread?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

For anyone who missed it, this is my summary of the video referenced in the OP by DoubtingThomas.

Chap wrote:A lively and well-presented video.

Takeaway point: variation in solar activity is extremely unlikely to be connected with the global warming and consequent climate change of past decades. That's down to greenhouse gases. Which means us.

Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Chap wrote:A lively and well-presented video.

Takeaway point: variation in solar activity is extremely unlikely to be connected with the global warming and consequent climate change of past decades. That's down to greenhouse gases. Which means us.

Great summary. Thanks Chap.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

subgenius wrote:Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!

The North Atlantic region isn't the entire globe dude. Stop watching too much Fox News.

_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

subgenius wrote:Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!

"Climate change on pace to occur 10 times faster than any change recorded in past 65 million years, Stanford scientists say"
https://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/aug ... 80113.html
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ion-years/
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

DoubtingThomas wrote:

The North Atlantic region isn't the entire globe dude. Stop watching too much Fox News.

Is this what subbie is slowly getting to. He is going to present the medieval warm period? What part of "average GLOBAL temperature" do people not understand?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

DarkHelmet wrote:Is this what subbie is slowly getting to. He is going to present the medieval warm period? What part of "average GLOBAL temperature" do people not understand?

I don't think subgenius is 'getting to' anything. He's just enjoying wasting people's time. Half the time, he posts stuff that suggests he pays no real attention to what his interlocutors say.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:I don't think subgenius is 'getting to' anything. He's just enjoying wasting people's time. Half the time, he posts stuff that suggests he pays no real attention to what his interlocutors say.

Only half the time?

You are an exceptionally charitable person.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.