Grindael..."One Drop Rule" question.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Grindael..."One Drop Rule" question.

Post by _Markk »

grindael wrote:I believe before Joseph died, there was no "one drop" rule, and that was instigated by Young and his racist "apostles". But there were no full blooded Negroes ordained to the Priesthood in Joseph's day.

I can see that in BY's speech to the Legislature. He was afraid one drop could bring a curse on all white Mormons.

"...Let this Church which is called the kingdom of God on the earth; we will sommons the first presidency, the twelve, the high counsel, the Bishoprick, and all the elders of Isreal, suppose we summons them to apear here, and here declare that it is right to mingle our seed, with the black race of Cain, that they shall come in with with us and be pertakers with us of all the blessings God has given to us. On that very day, and hour we should do so, the preisthood is taken from this Church and kingdom and God leaves us to our fate. The moment we consent to mingle with the seed of Cain the Church must go to desstruction, -- we should receive the curse which has been placed upon the seed of Cain, and never more be numbered with the children of Adam who are heirs to the priesthood untill that curse be removed..."

LINK HERE

Question...

Black Pete and Elijah Abel are said to be the first ordained into the PH, with Joseph Smith's knowledge, and obviously before BY's speech on one drop. This begs the question is there any evidence that they were not 100% Black? I have looked but can't find any genealogy on these two?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: Grindael..."One Drop Rule" question.

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Markk wrote:[...] Elijah Abel [...] This begs the question is there any evidence that they were not 100% Black? [...]

I'm going by memory, so I apologize ahead of time if my memory is off. There's a biography by W. Kesler Jackson on Elijah Abel that goes into fairly good depth trying to untangle his genealogy and likeness.

I believe the main evidence for mixed race with Elijah comes from records of a meeting between John Taylor and some others. In the records, there's a small notation that Elijah was understood to be an "octoroon."

That being said, he seems to have never passed as white, and was referred to by Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and others as being black. He was listed as "Mulatto" on a few censuses, so he likely had somewhat lighter skin; however, it likely was dark enough that in one census he was listed as “Black” (rather than mulatto).

His mother was a former slave, so there’s speculation that his father was a slave-master. If I recall correctly, Kesler draws the conclusion that Abel’s father was likely black, and abandoned him (and his mother).
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Markk
_Emeritus

Re: Grindael..."One Drop Rule" question.

Post by _Markk »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Markk wrote:[...] Elijah Abel [...] This begs the question is there any evidence that they were not 100% Black? [...]

I'm going by memory, so I apologize ahead of time if my memory is off. There's a biography by W. Kesler Jackson on Elijah Abel that goes into fairly good depth trying to untangle his genealogy and likeness.

I believe the main evidence for mixed race with Elijah comes from records of a meeting between John Taylor and some others. In the records, there's a small notation that Elijah was understood to be an "octoroon."

That being said, he seems to have never passed as white, and was referred to by Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and others as being black. He was listed as "Mulatto" on a few censuses, so he likely had somewhat lighter skin; however, it likely was dark enough that in one census he was listed as “Black” (rather than mulatto).

His mother was a former slave, so there’s speculation that his father was a slave-master. If I recall correctly, Kesler draws the conclusion that Abel’s father was likely black, and abandoned him (and his mother).

Thanks I will check it out.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"