Why low birth rate in the US?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Why low birth rate in the US?

Post by _honorentheos »

ajax18 wrote:I'd make people show proof of employment to bring a child into the world. It's already required for adoption.

There'd be some kind of deterrent to teen pregnancy. I wouldn't just write people checks for getting pregnant as teens like we do now

So what do you do when someone gets pregnant but isn't employed?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

conservative Christians are all about preserving life in the womb but once born the baby is on its own depending on the economic status of the parents. Ghetto or suburb?
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

honorentheos wrote:
ajax18 wrote:I'd make people show proof of employment to bring a child into the world. It's already required for adoption.

There'd be some kind of deterrent to teen pregnancy. I wouldn't just write people checks for getting pregnant as teens like we do now

So what do you do when someone gets pregnant but isn't employed?

Is ajax18 advocating compulsory abortion for those who become pregnant without a government permit? That is of course what used to happen in China under the so-called 'One Child Policy'. Odd to see someone of ajax18's political bent going in that direction.

If not, then what? Imprisonment of the illegally pregnant? But that would not prevent the illegal birth taking place, would it?

Is ajax18 a troll, or is he just a bit confused at times?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:Is ajax18 a troll, or is he just a bit confused at times?

He sounds dumb because he views everything through a very narrow filter where everyone in the world is trying to screw him over personally, especially if they're not white. Every post of his expresses this grievance in one way or another. It's why he's a ripe consumer for Fox and brietbart - they don't want educated audiences; they want the similarly aggrieved.

So yeah, if this is the basis for what you think, you're regularly going to sound like a dummy.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

What will you do with an unemployed woman who gets pregnant? Or the unemployed man who helped create the pregnancy?

What kind of deterrent? How would you deter teens from getting pregnant?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Chap wrote:Is ajax18 advocating compulsory abortion for those who become pregnant without a government permit? That is of course what used to happen in China under the so-called 'One Child Policy'. Odd to see someone of ajax18's political bent going in that direction.

Not that odd if you have paid attention to his posts over the years. He would also like to see many US citizens not legally allowed to vote, which is also something China does. I suggested a long time ago he should consider moving to China.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Themis wrote:
Chap wrote:Is ajax18 advocating compulsory abortion for those who become pregnant without a government permit? That is of course what used to happen in China under the so-called 'One Child Policy'. Odd to see someone of ajax18's political bent going in that direction.

Not that odd if you have paid attention to his posts over the years. He would also like to see many US citizens not legally allowed to vote, which is also something China does. I suggested a long time ago he should consider moving to China.

He was also for forced sterilization at one time. I was curious if he would reiterate that as his solution for teen pregnancy.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

I would suggest that the low birth rate is caused by the following factors:

1- Birth control gives people a real choice.

2- People are waking up to the idea that they can live their life the way they want and that not having 3+ kids is no longer an unthinkable taboo.

3- I read somewhere that while kids are great and all, people without out them tend to be happier. I bet more people are on to this and are recognizing what the opportunity cost of children actually is.

4- Even if you want kids, they are expensive. I know one couple that is now finishing college and wants to have kids, but before they do they want to pay off student debt, travel, live abroad, purchase a nice house in a nice suburb, and then be financially secure enough to give their kids "the good life" which means plenty of extra money for expensive sports teams, summer camps, family vacations, perhaps a lake house, etc. Granted, most people probably have more modest and realistic goals for what they want to do before they start a family. But the fact remains that people see more options now, and the biological reality of waiting to have kids is fewer kids.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Analytics wrote:I would suggest that the low birth rate is caused by the following factors:

1- Birth control gives people a real choice.

I think that largely explains the drop in the birth rate since, say, 1950, but probably does not explain the significant drop since the Great Recession.

2- People are waking up to the idea that they can live their life the way they want and that not having 3+ kids is no longer an unthinkable taboo.

Ditto.

3- I read somewhere that while kids are great and all, people without out them tend to be happier. I bet more people are on to this and are recognizing what the opportunity cost of children actually is.

I read some research on this about 10 years ago. At the time, what researchers consistently found is that parents and non-parents are about equally as happy, but their happiness was spread over the course of their lives differently with parents having higher highs and lower lows over multi-year spans of time. There's a lot of quirks in that data. For example, younger parents tend to be unhappier and parents with more than two kids tend to be unhappier. It might be worth looking into what the research says these days.

4- Even if you want kids, they are expensive. I know one couple that is now finishing college and wants to have kids, but before they do they want to pay off student debt, travel, live abroad, purchase a nice house in a nice suburb, and then be financially secure enough to give their kids "the good life" which means plenty of extra money for expensive sports teams, summer camps, family vacations, perhaps a lake house, etc. Granted, most people probably have more modest and realistic goals for what they want to do before they start a family. But the fact remains that people see more options now, and the biological reality of waiting to have kids is fewer kids.

Yeah.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Analytics wrote:I would suggest that the low birth rate is caused by the following factors:

all your factors seem to rely on supernatural hypothetical scenarios (a.k.a. products of consciousness), that while they may be valid anecdotes seemingly dismiss the possibility that there could be physical/biological factors that are influencing birth rates. I am not suggesting an extreme circumstance such as "sterility" or "infertility", but our modern society has also experienced a significant increase in private sector fertility clinics and research facilities...which may counter the idea that psychology is the only factor.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent