Trump's War on Children

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Trump's War on Children

Post by _canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Holy crap. I have the perfect solution to this.

People should immigrate legally & then no one is detained!

- Doc

Do you have any ideas about why they are crossing in between ports of entry and not directly through points of entry? I raised this question previously and no responses to it.

Numerous sources are reporting that most if not all claimed asylum seekers are being refused any ‘processing’ or are being turned away at many official ports of entry. It would make sense that those at the border would try to cross elsewhere at that point. And a more sinister interpretation of what is going on would be that arrivals are told that they won’t be processed in the hopes that they will cross elsewhere, lending legitimacy to the Administration’s claim of needing to charge them criminally.

There’s a lot of talk about the need for those seeking asylum to ‘get in line and follow the rules’, but the reality may be that there really isn’t a line to get into for most of these folks.

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/16/imm ... l-america/
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
If a person shows up at a port of entry seeking asylum status but is then subjected to forced separation of minors from parents, which is happening if not universally, then your solution wouldn't include them. It only leaves open people seeking visas.

So, yeah, words and reality.

Sessions statement 7 May said they would separate adults from children crossing in between ports of entry. Are you saying that separations are happening AT ports of entry? Do you have a link to a report about that because I've not seen one.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:Sessions statement 7 May said they would separate adults from children crossing in between ports of entry. Are you saying that separations are happening AT ports of entry? Do you have a link to a report about that because I've not seen one.

Jersey Girl, can you post an official statement or link to a doc for that specific circumstance? I’ve not seen it yet and would rather refer to something from the hand of the Administration than a second- or third-hand source.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

honorentheos wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I love how words don't mean anything anymore. Why not call illegal immigrants elves who fall under the Ministry of Magic? I mean, it's the same thing when you just start p'shawing reality.

- Doc

If a person shows up at a port of entry seeking asylum status but is then subjected to forced separation of minors from parents, which is happening if not universally, then your solution wouldn't include them. It only leaves open people seeking visas.

So, yeah, words and reality.

When a person, or elf apparently, crosses the border illegally they're detained if caught. Just because Rosario claims to be seeking asylum, which I'm not sure why she didn't do it at an embassy or, you know, just stay in Mexico, doesn't make our immigration laws disappear. It's these stupid games people like you and Democrats like to play that got Trump elected. Jesus.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

So you're of the opinion that all reporting regarding children being separated from parents when seeking asylum when otherwise presenting themselves to border patrol in accordance with US law is false reporting? And the ACLU cases seeking to end the Trump policy built on supposedly compliant asylum seeking cases are actually something completely different?

I agree that the difference between your views on this and mine go a long way to explaining how we ended up with Trump.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Children are separated from parents who use marijuana. It doesn't matter whether you agree with the law or not.

Jeb Bush needs to shut up. We had this debate during the Republican primary. The voters were clear that like President Trump, they didn't want the US becoming a central American migrant camp.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Remember when Republicans thought this was horrific?

"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

honorentheos wrote:So you're of the opinion that all reporting regarding children being separated from parents when seeking asylum when otherwise presenting themselves to border patrol in accordance with US law is false reporting? And the ACLU cases seeking to end the Trump policy built on supposedly compliant asylum seeking cases are actually something completely different?

I agree that the difference between your views on this and mine go a long way to explaining how we ended up with Trump.

I'm of the opinion it's just a tactic to circumvent legal immigration.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

So asylum seekers need not apply...unless they do so while hanging out somewhere else until given permission to enter the country huh?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

honorentheos wrote:So asylum seekers need not apply...unless they do so while hanging out somewhere else until given permission to enter the country huh?

Then why wouldn't every would be immigrant just say, "We're seeking asylum."
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.