Report: More Attempted Collusion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: Report: More Attempted Collusion

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Jersey Girl wrote:I know I've said this prior, but I don't think they're going to come up with jack on Trump. The best you can hope for is the Dem's come up with a decent candidate and a better campaign.

Well, this is what we now know for a fact:

1. Russia's interference to get Trump elected began the day Trump publicly instructed them to do so.
2. Intent to collude with Russia and the Trump campaign existed on both sides (Don Jr's email proved this)
3. Now we know there was a Congressional candidate involved in data transfer.
4. Russia undoubtedly did help Trump get elected
5. Trump is doing virtually everything we would expect Putin would want him to do if he were doing his bidding.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:I know I've said this prior, but I don't think they're going to come up with jack on Trump. The best you can hope for is the Dem's come up with a decent candidate and a better campaign.

I think that this is the most likely scenario. Still, all indicators point to Trump being financially beholden to Russian oligarchs, and only a deeply partisan person or a fool would not suspect that Trump very likely used Russian help to win the election. Trump’s international actions practically read like a Putin wishlist. Putin could not be more happy about Trump’s mishandling of European relations, his withdrawal from Syria, the list could go on. Trump’s treasonous behavior is on full display. He is pretty open about it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Michael Cohen Says Trump Knew About Trump Tower Meeting With Russians In Advance: CNN

The Trump Tower meeting was set up in hopes of getting dirt on presidential rival Hillary Clinton from a Russian.

Michael Cohen, the president’s former personal attorney, said Donald Trump knew in advance about a meeting during the 2016 campaign in which Russians were expected to offer negative information about his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, according to a report by CNN.

Citing sources with knowledge of Cohen’s claims, CNN said the attorney is willing to share that information with special counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating Russia’s attempt to influence the 2016 presidential election. The sources said Cohen does not have any evidence, including tapes, to back up his claims.

NBC News also reported that Cohen was willing to speak to Meuller about his claims, citing its own “knowledgeable source” on Thursday night.

The meeting occurred at Trump Tower in June 2016 with Donald Trump Jr., son-in-law Jared Kushner and then-campaign manager Paul Manafort. They met with a lawyer linked to the Kremlin and a Russian businessman who initially had offered to disclose dirt on Clinton.

Cohen claims he was in the room when Trump was told about that offer by Trump Jr., CNN said.

Rudy Giuliani, the president’s lawyer and lead attorney on issues related to the Russia inquiry, said Thursday on CNN that Cohen was “just not credible.” He alluded that Cohen was “bitter” about not landing a job in the Trump administration and was “very, very jealous” of the president’s children.

“He’s been lying all week, or two weeks, he’s been lying for years,” Giuliani told CNN’s Chris Cuomo shortly after the report was published. “There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s just not credible. I wouldn’t accept him as a witness as a prosecutor.”

He continued to say he was “not worried” about Cohen’s claims “at all.”

Trump has repeatedly denied having any knowledge about the meeting and told The New York Times in July 2017 that he “didn’t know anything” about it. The Times also reported in June that Trump personally dictated a misleading statement about the purpose of the meeting, even after his aides repeatedly denied that he did so.

The meeting took place after a British publicist, Rob Goldstone, emailed Trump Jr. offering “very high level and sensitive” material linked to Russia that would be damaging to Clinton’s presidential campaign. Trump Jr. responded that if the information was good, “I love it,” and the two began to arrange the rendezvous.

The Russian lawyer at the meeting, Natalia Veselnitskaya, has close ties to senior government officials at the Kremlin, The Associated Press reported earlier on Thursday. AP sifted through hundreds of documents that show Veselnitskaya served as a ghostwriter for top Russian government lawyers and worked with the staff of a senior official at the country’s Interior Ministry.

She has denied acting on behalf of Russian leadership during the meeting at Trump Tower, saying she operates “independently of any governmental bodies.” But Veselnitskaya said in April that she had been “actively communicating” with the Russian prosecutor general since 2013.

It’s the latest fracture between Cohen and his longtime client. Earlier this week, Cohen’s legal team released a secretly recorded conversation made in September 2016 in which the attorney and Trump discuss a payment to former Playboy model Karen McDougal. She has alleged that she had a months-long affair with Trump in 2006.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

We can't be too far away from the final, "Actually, collusion with Russia is good because it helps us own the libs" pivot at this point.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

EAllusion wrote:We can't be too far away from the final, "Actually, collusion with Russia is good because it helps us own the libs" pivot at this point.

Pretty much.

I never really thought the drip drip would get to this point. I mean how significant is this?

We have Trump's own lawyer saying the President was the one who set up the meeting that was intended to get dirt on Hillary Clinton. That's huge.

But Rudy is already saying Cohen cannot be trusted because he's a career liar.

So much for Trump having the "best people" then. Seems like they're always the best people until they leave him, and then suddenly they were always the worst people.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Attempting to colloborate with a hostile foreign power to aid and abet criminal espionage to disrupt our democracy would be the single biggest scandal in American history. It's much worse than Watergate or Alger Hiss, for instance. It's worse than Benedict Arnold. I don't get the sense the public mood has caught up with this understanding yet, even though that is obvious in "elite" opinion.

Really, if anything justifies capital punishment, that should be one of the first things.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Cohen is now corroborating that Trump himself arranged meetings with the Russians specifically discussing campaign issues and strategies.

Trump could literally skull “F” a puppy to death on the White House lawn and it wouldn't make a difference to his supporters.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

In 2016 just two days before the Trump Tower meeting Trump announces he is about to come across some very shocking information. Russians hack the DNC right after Trump asks them to.

Coincidence?

And now another one:

Russians targeted Dem senator as Trump said to ‘vote her out’
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Now you guys believe Cohen solely because he is spinning yarns you agree with...geez.
And just hold on to that whole "collusion" fantasy because that is all you have....oh my, is that the 80s on the phone?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:you guys believe Cohen solely because he is spinning yarns you agree with...geez.

Nope. His testimony carries weight because Cohen was for many years Trump's trusted personal attorney, a man chosen and previously renowned for his discretion and absolute loyalty.

If someone like that suddenly starts testifying against his previous client, that suggests that something is deeply rotten in the affairs of that client, and has been for quite a while.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.