another mass shooting

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Re: another mass shooting

Post by _Hawkeye »

_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Not fair, those countries have fewer gates and doors to get into places.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Post by _Hawkeye »

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:One more thing and I would have edited my above, but I don't like to change a post when it's possible that others are already reading it and might reply.

What this is going to take is our collective society working it's ass off and pulling from every side imaginable on behalf of our youth. I know this like I know my own name. Not prayers and promises. It's going to take an exhaustive and sustained effort.

Wake up people. Wake up.

In the event that people stay asleep a little longer, don't you think it would make sense to take some steps to make it less easy for children to slaughter themselves and each other?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Some Schmo wrote:
DarkHelmet wrote:This hit close to home for me just a couple weeks ago. My nephew committed suicide in what appears to be an immediate irrational decision.

Wow, man. I'm really sorry to hear this. My condolences. That's awful.

Thanks, schmo. I appreciate it.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Jersey Girl wrote:DarkHelmet I had to run out right after making the post to you. I'm sorry that I didn't stop to offer condolences. I am so sorry that your family is having to deal with this type of deep and sudden loss. You all will live with questions that can never be fully answered. Some day you'll accept the fact that you'll never know the answers to the questions that you have. That day surely isn't today and I know you are all facing a very hard road. I don't wish it on anyone.

Thanks, Jersey Girl. The nonsensical loss of young lives makes this a very emotional issue for everyone. Gun debate threads go on forever. I can understand the desire to get guns out of the hands of the homicidal and suicidal. It makes logical sense. But we also need to get to the root cause of the homicidal and suicidal behaviors.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

DarkHelmet wrote: But we also need to get to the root cause of the homicidal and suicidal behaviors.

Yes, I kind of filled up the thread in an attempt to forward that very idea.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

To clarify a point made here, in the US women attempt suicide at nearly 4 times the rate men do. Men commit suicide at nearly 4 times the rate women do. Or at least this was the case the last time I was aware of the data. The difference is almost entirely explained by males being much more likely to use guns when attempting suicide. American women have much higher depression rates than men do.

Further, gun availability and suicide rate are tightly correlated. This isn't neccesarily an argument for restrictions, but it is the reality.
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Post by _Hawkeye »

EAllusion wrote:To clarify a point made here, in the US women attempt suicide at nearly 4 times the rate men do. Men committ suicide at nearly 4 times the rate women do. Or at least this was the case the last time I was aware of the data. The difference is almost entirely explained by males being much more likely to use guns when attempting suicide.

Further, gun availability and suicide rate are tightly correlated. This isn't neccesarily an argument for restrictions, but it is the reality.

Let's suppose that with the snap of Thanos' finger, suddenly every person in the country finds a loaded pistol in their possession. Republicans would have us believe the country instantly becomes a safer place, but the reality would be that the news cycle the next day would be overwhelmed with record breaking numbers of suicides, accidental and intentional gun related deaths.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

I went to school with several kids who fantasized about planting bombs in our school. I suspect this was and is common. I imagine the subset of "kids who go on killing sprees" is a tiny subset of "kids who displayed some foreshadowing of traits that people would say in retrospect makes it less surprising they went on a killing spree."

Every idea I see bandied about to target the latter group sounds like something that causes more harm than it prevents.