Two dudes arrested at Starbucks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Two dudes arrested at Starbucks

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

A manager calls the cops because two dudes are just sitting there. The guys got arrested on the charges of trespassing.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Re: Two dudes arrested at Starbucks

Post by _Themis »

They were asked to leave since they had not ordered anything. They refused so at this point they are trespassing and cops were called. They said they were waiting for a friend who did happen to show up as they were being arrested. Not sure if they said they were planning on ordering when their friend arrived, but it was a stupid move by the manager.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Starbucks will close 8,000 stores on May 29th for the day in order to conduct sensitivity training.
PHILADELPHIA — Starbucks will close more than 8,000 U.S. stores for an afternoon next month to train employees after two black men were arrested while waiting at one of the coffee chain’s Philadelphia stores last week.

The “racial-bias education” training is scheduled for May 29 for nearly 175,000 employees, the company said in a statement Tuesday.

Starbucks chief executive Kevin Johnson said he had spent the past few days in Philadelphia listening to the community, learning what the company did wrong and what steps were necessary to fix the problem.

“Closing our stores for racial bias training is just one step in a journey that requires dedication from every level of our company and partnerships in our local communities,” Johnson said in the statement.

The cynic in me says it is little more than a PR move but it is definitely better than a lot of tone deaf responses you get from other companies.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I should go teach the racial bias training class for them.

Starbucks policy,

As the manager you're not allowed to allow nonpaying customers to use the bathroom. But if the customer gets mad and accuses you of racism, you will be fired for following company policy. After all, the customer (in this case a nonpaying customer) is always right.

This reminds me so much of the catch 22 situations they put public school teachers in. You can be written up for allowing girls to wear revealing clothing in your class if a parent complains. But if you try to enforce your dress code you will also be terminated.

Memo 1- It's your duty to have and enforce the dress code.

Memo 2- You're required to have a dress code but you can't enforce it.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Themis wrote:They were asked to leave since they had not ordered anything. They refused so at this point they are trespassing and cops were called. They said they were waiting for a friend who did happen to show up as they were being arrested. Not sure if they said they were planning on ordering when their friend arrived, but it was a stupid move by the manager.

here is your trophy, good job!
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

One of my favorites was when people would rob WalMart. Security would catch them every so often and say they weren't allowed to come back to the store. They couldn't enforce it. Most were back within a couple weeks. Every 2 to 3 years they'd fire the manager due to inability to control "shrinkage."
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

ajax18 wrote:As the manager you're not allowed to allow nonpaying customers to use the bathroom. But if the customer gets mad and accuses you of racism, you will be fired for following company policy. After all, the customer (in this case a nonpaying customer) is always right

But they still got arrested for doing nothing wrong. We have a mass incarnation problem in America.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

But they still got arrested for doing nothing wrong. We have a mass incarnation problem in America

Just because you disagree with the police doesn't mean you can refuse their orders and expect to not get arrested. When it does start to mean that, we have no law and order.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I'm once again shocked at the misogyny on display by this board. It's really interesting to me how all the women-hating men on this board throw this woman to the wolves. She's a victim of the Patriarchy, of bad policy, caught in a Catch-22 being exploited by those two men, his collaborator, the men in charge of Starbucks, and all these commenters.

It just makes me sick to my stomach how much this woman is being vilified in a no-win situation by misogynists. :redface: :sad: :confused:

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

ajax18 wrote: Just because you disagree with the police doesn't mean you can refuse their orders and expect to not get arrested. When it does start to mean that, we have no law and order.

ajax18 I am not saying the arrest was illegal. Just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right.