No more power (of love)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: No more power (of love)

Post by _Philo Sofee »

candygal wrote:I feel for him...nothing like hearing and then not...it is so lonely..and yet the music is in your head.

Well (sputtering)........ er, Beethoven kept composing music after he went deaf....... I'm just sayin. But, yeah! I'm with Jersey Girl, his music is fantastic to work out to.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Well, at least the heart of rock and roll is still beating.

I have a hard time thinking of Huey Lewis and the News without thinking of American Psycho.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself!
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

I think ABBA is now too universally recognized as great to qualify as a gulity pleasure anymore. Huey Lewis and the New totally qualifies, though.

Like Analytics, the very first thing I think of when I hear that name is that scene in American Psycho. The next is getting ripped off for the Ghostbusters theme song.
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Post by _Hawkeye »

I believe the guitarist for the Who also lost his hearing.

Speaking of concerts... I haven't been to one in several years since Sarah McLachlan came to Atlanta, and that was my first concert since Duran Duran in 1987. But tonight I'm going to see Bon Jovi and later in May I finally get to go to a U2 concert.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

I think Lee Michaels went deaf also...
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Hawkeye wrote: But tonight I'm going to see Bon Jovi

How. DARE. you.
:surprised:

Bon Jovi owns a home right near where I am from. He also owns a restaurant that I think folks should know about because the man isn't just about the music. He's about giving back.

If you don't know about this, you don't know anything thing about Jon Bon Jovi.

https://www.jonbonjovisoulfoundation.or ... -red-bank/

He and Springsteen are both oriented to giving back to the community. And why is that? Because they're Jersey boys and Jersey boys have East Coast heart.

The boys. They speak to me..."there's only one place they call me one of their own".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQWFklgKA_E
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Oh look, she's going off doing her Jersey thing now. :-)

For the uninitiated, before the E Street band ever existed, Steel Mill was Springsteen's band. This is the band that was popular around the Shore when Springsteen was coming up and so were we.

Link to a concert that I went to. It's all sound and still shots. This is the Springsteen we were all familiar with. In the beginning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxyprIEfHqU
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb