Class Action: The World v Zuckerberg

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Class Action: The World v Zuckerberg

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Facebook said the data of most of its 2 billion users has been collected and shared with outsiders

Washington Post wrote:Facebook said Wednesday that most of its 2 billion users likely have had their public profiles scraped by outsiders without the users' explicit permission, dramatically raising the stakes in a privacy controversy that has dogged the company for weeks, spurred investigations in the United States and Europe, and sent the company's stock price tumbling.

The acknowledgment was part of a broader disclosure by Facebook on Wednesday about the ways in which various levels of user data have been taken by everyone from malicious actors to ordinary app developers.

"We’re an idealistic and optimistic company, and for the first decade, we were really focused on all the good that connecting people brings," Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg said on a call with reporters Wednesday afternoon. "But it’s clear now that we didn’t focus enough on preventing abuse and thinking about how people could use these tools for harm as well."

I have a Facebook account, but not under my own name. It's just convenient to have to log in to some sites. But a lot of other people's lives are out there.

We are still coming to grips with the differences between the industrial age and the information age. Instantaneous transmission from billions of people on the planet means that much of humanity has grown new nerve endings, which are constantly being jostled and irritated by new information streams. For many, the reality now is that their personal data is in the hands of people who will try to use subliminal methods to specifically target individuals. If advertising is like codeine, micro-targeted advertising is like Fentanyl.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Class Action: The World v Zuckerberg

Post by _subgenius »

MeDotOrg wrote:I have a Facebook account, but not under my own name.

They still know who you are, correct? I mean dots get connected and you are eventually located and identified.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I'm not understanding a couple of things here.

1. If you use a different name on Facebook you still provide an email address or phone number when you create an account so I don't see how that helps you out.

2. I thought I read where some information was being lifted from when people do those little test things. You do click on something that says whatever it is can use your profile information.

Let me stop right here and say that I am NOT defending Facebook. I'm just talking about things as I understand them.

You wrote, "For many, the reality now is that their personal data is in the hands of people who will try to use subliminal methods to specifically target individuals."

Targeting us for what exactly? Product sales? What?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I made a gmail account that is not connected to my regular account(s).

Now I'm sure someone can put together information in other ways. Do I think I'm safe? Not really. I had a degree of suspicion, but I was probably not cautious enough. I was thinking about that tonight, about our digital selves. There are times when I would like to share personal information about myself on this forum that prudence tells me would not be wise. Not necessarily because of anyone in the forums, but bots could put together something. But I wonder what's the sum total of my online digital footprint.

As for targeting, that's all advertising is: identifying the customer (or voter) fears, desires, needs and wants and targeting messages to induce the person to either buy or vote for what you want. 'Draining the Swamp' and 'deep state' were launched by Cambridge Analytica. The more you know about a specific voter or customer the more you can specifically target their personal 'buttons' that propel them to buy or vote. Every time I buy something on line (especially a big ticket item), it seems like that's the only think I see advertised for a while. But that is just monkey-see-monkey-do advertising. What Cambridge (and no doubt many other entities, public and private) is doing is creating demographic profiles, identifying attraction and repulsion flash points for voters, and trying to tickle them.

The idea is to motivate the voter, not by his conscious mind, but by his unconscious fears and desires. This is the exact opposite of that to which we should be appealing: rational higher reason. Now people have been appealing to people's lesser instincts since time immemorial, but this is a much more sophisticated attack.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land